How many is too many when purchasing C&R guns at once?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    So I've been debating whether to buy a half dozen or so P-64s from AIM. I know that folks buy (well, use to buy) Mosin 91/30's by the crate, but what about pistols?

If I buy a half dozen all at once, should I be expecting a call from the ATF? I really like the P64 and think they are fairly decent bargain at $200 shipped. I've also considered gifting a few at Christmas to relatives (No hql, MSP xfers, of course).

Am I being paranoid or is this just expected behavior for C&R FFL-03 license holders?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So I've been debating whether to buy a half dozen or so P-64s from AIM. I know that folks buy (well, use to buy) Mosin 91/30's by the crate, but what about pistols?

If I buy a half dozen all at once, should I be expecting a call from the ATF? I really like the P64 and think they are fairly decent bargain at $200 shipped. I've also considered gifting a few at Christmas to relatives (No hql, MSP xfers, of course).

Am I being paranoid or is this just expected behavior for C&R FFL-03 license holders?

As far as I know, there's no limit, implicit or otherwise. Really doubt the ATF would be concerned.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I don't know what their limit is but I would think anything under 10 wouldn't matter to them. 2nd # concern would be come renewal time, if you bought 10 and sold all 10 that may be an issue.

Dealers commonly sell cases of things (Nagants and SKS come to mind) and I don't think every buyer is getting chased down.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Some people here have been known to buy full crates of Mosins.

No problem buying this batch of P64s for a group buy:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25715

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    "How many is too many when purchasing C&R guns at once?" - cantstop

I don't have an answer but I find the OP's username to be very appropriate. :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's my belief that the ATF left this issue intentionally vague, giving them the most latitude when dealing with license holders. Kinda like secret double probation (does that make the head of the ATF Dean Wormer?).

Jul 1, 2012
    Folks buy entire collections at once so the only issue I'd see is if you bought 6 and flipped all 6 shortly thereafter - and the only way they'd know that is if you get audited.
    That's clearly not what you (OP) intend to do so I wouldn't sweat it.
    Sometimes the only way to get that gem you want is to buy a bundle and off-load the unwanted ones...

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    you cant be in the business of buying and selling with an ffl03.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

I can tell you that a purchase of 6 will not raise any flags. :D

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I think you can answer this question with two other questions:

1 - How much room is left in your safe(s)?
    and
    2 - How much cash is left in your bank account?

8-)

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    More space than there was 2-3 years ago. I have a exit strategy for Maryland and I am retiring from the Navy soon and I want to move back to Florida. Cant (and don't want to) take everything with me so I have shifted definitely from quantity to quality. Doing some trading for some higher end stuff I have always wanted, and letting go of other stuff. Funds are low because of recent home repairs, not from purchases. :/

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

If the transfer is FFL 01 to FFL 03, the only record of transfer is your A&D logs (on both ends of the transfer). The ATF won't know about the transfer unless they audit either of you, and I doubt they would care with just 6 of them. Now 600 might be a different story. Still, I doubt they would care. Homeland Security might take an interest in a 600 gun transfer, though. They've been contacting us a lot lately about large transfers.

If you plan on getting them and flipping them for sale, then you sort of become an 01 dealer. That's a gray area since the definition of a dealer has "principle objective of livelihood and profit" in the definition. Giving them as gifts shouldn't be a problem as long as you do 77R, 7-day wait and all that jazz at MSP or an 01 dealer.

All in all, you should be good but I'm not a lawyer and certainly no expert... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom