• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I was able to get a few buckets of wheel weights from my nephew and sorted out the lead from the zinc and iron weights.

I have a mix of clip on and stick on lead weights after the sorting and have read that the stick on weights are closer to pure lead than the clip on.

Is it best for me to separate them again before I start melting them into ingots or would the difference be negligible? I have considerably more clip on than stick on weights at this point so I am hoping that further separation would not be needed.

I searched the forum to try to find out some info before starting this but 97% of the posts had less than 3% relevance to my question. :D

What say ye? All ye mighty and knowing members of Maryland Shooters!!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I do separate stick-ons and clip ons when smelting.. the stick-ons are nearly pure lead and thus a little different than the alloy of the clip-ons. There are benefits to both that you can reap from keeping them separate. The alloy of the clip-ons is almost ideal, add a little tin and make a very good casting alloy. I use the stick-ons for fishing mostly.. (weights and jigs), but I have plenty, so I can spare a bit of it... lol

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I do separate stick-ons and clip ons when smelting.. the stick-ons are nearly pure lead and thus a little different than the alloy of the clip-ons. There are benefits to both that you can reap from keeping them separate. The alloy of the clip-ons is almost ideal, add a little tin and make a very good casting alloy. I use the stick-ons for fishing mostly.. (weights and jigs), but I have plenty, so I can spare a bit of it... lol

I was thinking of doing that if the consensus is to separate. My nephew loves to fish and my landlord has weight molds.

I was planning on making a batch for him to thank him for the weights anyway. I may just separate out the stick on weights for that.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you are new to scavenging lead to make alloys for casting, this may be helpful. I use it to determine what I need to add and how much to what alloy I may be starting with to calculate the final alloy data that I am looking for in a particular boolit..

Attachments

• Lead alloy calculator.xls
      75 KB · Views: 217

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you are new to scavenging lead to make alloys for casting, this may be helpful. I use it to determine what I need to add and how much to what alloy I may be starting with to calculate the final alloy data that I am looking for in a particular boolit..

WOW!!!!! That is awesome!!!!! Thank you!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I'd keep them separate for the simple fact you can add stick-on lead to another alloy, but once mixed, you'll pay hell getting pure lead out of an alloy if you ever need pure.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'd keep them separate for the simple fact you can add stick-on lead to another alloy, but once mixed, you'll pay hell getting pure lead out of an alloy if you ever need pure.

I think I am going to keep them separate and take Sticky's idea and make some fishing weights for my nephew.

I just went through a bucket tonight, I didn't have near as many as I thought I did so in the long run it probably wouldn't matter. But, I like the fishing weight idea as a way to thank my nephew for helping me out.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The stickons are good for black powder muzzle loaders who usually use pure lead. By keeping them separate, be sure to mark your ingots, you can always be able to create your ideal alloy by varying your ratios. If you melt them all together each time you smelt a batch your alloy will have a different composition.

Next time sort into three buckets.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    The stickons are good for black powder muzzle loaders who usually use pure lead. By keeping them separate, be sure to mark your ingots, you can always be able to create your ideal alloy by varying your ratios. If you melt them all together each time you smelt a batch your alloy will have a different composition.

Next time sort into three buckets.

I'm going to separate them and add some roofing lead my land lord has to get enough to make some ingots.

I was planning on marking the ingots with a sharpie unless anyone has a better idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom