• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I get from AIM, Natchez, Cabelas, Midway and a few others all the time.

Most smart businesses don't recognize the authority of the MoCo surpreme leaders.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The folks at PSA may simply be lazy. Take a quick look at the law and it's easy to find the county ordinance, since it is still on the books. You have to dig deeper to find the 1983 court decision that invalidates the ordinance. Then you have to read and understand the decision. If you don't dig and find the court decision, and only find the ordinance, you think ammo purchases are restricted in MoCo. Since MoCo's population is about 1 million, it represents less than one-third of one percent of the US population. I don't think they care about losing a potential market that is so small, or paying their lawyer to figure it out...even though we are spoon-feeding them the answer!

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    The folks at PSA may simply be lazy. Take a quick look at the law and it's easy to find the county ordinance, since it is still on the books. You have to dig deeper to find the 1983 court decision that invalidates the ordinance. Then you have to read and understand the decision. If you don't dig and find the court decision, and only find the ordinance, you think ammo purchases are restricted in MoCo. Since MoCo's population is about 1 million, it represents less than one-third of one percent of the US population. I don't think they care about losing a potential market that is so small, or paying their lawyer to figure it out...even though we are spoon-feeding them the answer!

Why is it still on the books if it's invalid?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Why is it still on the books if it's invalid?

I think we need to hear from a Maryland licensed attorney to answer this. IIRC, the county council needs to take the step to clean up the county code, to purge it of outdated ordinances and so on.

If it's not as simple as the council ordering a reconciliation of its laws, I can only compare it to the 18th amendment, which created prohibition, and the 21st amendment, that repealed it. Both amendments are in the Constitution. Adoption of the 21st amendment didn't cause the 18th to be erased. Both are still there, and you have to read everything to understand the state of the law.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I think a commerce clause complaint may be the way to go. I not sure a Bivens suit would work because of the multitude of other sources for ammo, thus no standing. I just think if a commerce clause complaint would be made, only the seller would have standing. And PSA doesn't seem to care.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    I agree to just go and look elsewhere for ammo. The ammoseek.com site is a good place to start, but there are many more.

However, let's not forget the assholes that price gouged us during the height of the ammo shortage.

Cheaper Than Dirt
    Bulk Ammo
    Lucky Gunner

The worst was Cheaper Than Dirt, but all above and some more where really bad. I'm sure others have their blacklist, but I'll never give a dime to any of these folks.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    From the MoCo/Atlantic guns lawsuit, it reads that way back in 1972 the Maryland General Assembly fixed the illegal gun problem with strong anti-gun/public safety laws. By now Baltimore and the rest of Maryland should be safe from all those gun toting nuts that are shooting everyone. So any new laws are just going to make things better right?

Quote from lawsuit in 1984 referring to the 1972 law:

The General Assembly's declaration of policy, codified in § 36B(a), is as follows:

The General Assembly of Maryland hereby finds and declares that:
    (i) There has, in recent years, been an alarming increase in the number of violent crimes perpetrated in Maryland, and a high percentage of those crimes involve the use of handguns;
    (ii) The result has been a substantial increase in the number of persons killed or injured which is traceable, in large part, to the carrying of handguns on the streets and public ways by persons inclined to use them in criminal activity;
    (iii) The laws currently in force have not been effective in curbing the more frequent use of handguns in perpetrating crime; and
    (iv) Further regulations on the wearing, carrying, and transporting of handguns are necessary to preserve the peace and tranquility of the State and to protect the rights and liberties of its citizens.

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    From the MoCo/Atlantic guns lawsuit, it reads that way back in 1972 the Maryland General Assembly fixed the illegal gun problem with strong anti-gun/public safety laws. By now Baltimore and the rest of Maryland should be safe from all those gun toting nuts that are shooting everyone. So any new laws are just going to make things better right?

Quote from lawsuit in 1984 referring to the 1972 law:

The General Assembly's declaration of policy, codified in § 36B(a), is as follows:

The General Assembly of Maryland hereby finds and declares that:
    (i) There has, in recent years, been an alarming increase in the number of violent crimes perpetrated in Maryland, and a high percentage of those crimes involve the use of handguns;
    (ii) The result has been a substantial increase in the number of persons killed or injured which is traceable, in large part, to the carrying of handguns on the streets and public ways by persons inclined to use them in criminal activity;
    (iii) The laws currently in force have not been effective in curbing the more frequent use of handguns in perpetrating crime; and
    (iv) Further regulations on the wearing, carrying, and transporting of handguns are necessary to preserve the peace and tranquility of the State and to protect the rights and liberties of its citizens.

Our MoCO officials are so smart aren't they....thank god that Atlantic Guns filed that suit years ago. I love going to the downtown Silver Spring shop...right in the middle of the silver spring sprawl!!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    On the political side of things MoCo is not the best place I hear. If a place restricts ammo I would bash them more than a vendor who does not want to do business there, even if a state precedent is set.

Yeah, PSA is the bad guy here?
    No offense meant to anyone, just a thought.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    well that's the point. Mo Co tried but cannot t restrict ammo sales yet PSA refuses to ship here.

I'll shop elsewhere.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    There may be more to the story than we know. Aren't there some companies that won't ship some items to "MD" at all. Maybe CDNN.

Amazon would not ship me a bb gun to a Crofton address so I went over to Dick's and bought it lol

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In this case I don't think so. The gun grabbers in Mont Co tried to prohibit ammo sales. The appeals court sided with the District Court in invalidating the county statute due to state preemption

MD Statute 4-209.

i don't think there is more to it than that.

just my opinion though.

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    On the political side of things MoCo is not the best place I hear. If a place restricts ammo I would bash them more than a vendor who does not want to do business there, even if a state precedent is set.

Yeah, PSA is the bad guy here?
    No offense meant to anyone, just a thought.

No PSA is practicing bad business....they are losing potential revenue and are therefore bad business people--that alone is reason enough to not shop from them if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom