• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollywoodwvu

Sep 1, 2014
    Kent Island
    I'm in the market for purchasing a good O/U shotgun. Budget under 2k, will be primarily trap, skeet, and sporting. PG course is practically in my back yard, and I really want to get into the sport. I welcome all opinions. Thanks in advance!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Belgium made Browning Broadway. Great gun, and you will NEVER lose money on it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been told by many to try as many as possible prior to making a purchase. How do you go about asking somebody to shoot their gun?

Start by renting something at PG Trap and Skeet. Most likely going to be a Beretta (which would get my vote if it fits you). Then, see if anybody on here will allow you to shoot a specific gun that you are interested in. A lot of people on here would not mind letting you shoot their shotgun with them present. Heard that Bart's allows some test drives of shotguns, but call them and confirm. Somebody on here got to test drive a Guerini from Barts before paying for it.

The good news is that if you buy a gun and really hate it, sites like gunbroker make it a lot easier to get top dollar for it nowadays.

Hollywoodwvu

Sep 1, 2014
    Kent Island
    Start by renting something at PG Trap and Skeet. Most likely going to be a Beretta (which would get my vote if it fits you). Then, see if anybody on here will allow you to shoot a specific gun that you are interested in. A lot of people on here would not mind letting you shoot their shotgun with them present. Heard that Bart's allows some test drives of shotguns, but call them and confirm. Somebody on here got to test drive a Guerini from Barts before paying for it.

The good news is that if you buy a gun and really hate it, sites like gunbroker make it a lot easier to get top dollar for it nowadays.

I did take a course at PG and shot the 686. Really liked it, and was dead set on purchasing one. I just want to try out a few others before I make that plunge.

Hollywoodwvu

Sep 1, 2014
    Kent Island
    I think I'll give Bart's a call and see what they can offer. If anybody happens to be at PG, and are willing to let me try out a gun, please give me a shout.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Speaking of budget, you're right on the cusp of moving from a good gun to a great gun. If you could be closer to $2500 you'll have a better variety. That will include some decent used CG's.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yes. The factory service (albeit hardly needed) is unreal. I know a guy who drops his gun off at lunch time and they put a Smith on it. Get ready to call BS. .............

He has 200k rounds through it. Shoots all over the place but his home club is Loch Raven.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nothing wrong with the Beretta 686's, very good guns. For Clay sports I recommend no less than 30" barrels and prefer 32's myself.
    The Guerini's are a step up,solidly between the B guns and the Perazzi's,Kreighoffs,etc. The Guerini's are well designed with top materials and fit and finish,choke tubes pattern beautifully,no need for aftermarket chokes.
    Factory service if needed is excellent and in Cambridge MD, they also set up a service trailer at major shoots such as the Grand. My trap Guerini broke a part in the trigger during a Sunday winter league shoot,had about 40,000 rounds thru it. Called Guerini on Monday, made an appointment for Tues for 10 am, waited around a nice waiting room for 1 1/2 hours and had the gun back, part replaced and full service done, all at no charge. Guerini has a lifetime warranty.
    They also offer 3 free annual services to the original owner of a new shotgun, the part that broke in mine had already been identified as a potential failure point in high round guns and been redesigned, when they were done what had been a very good trigger is now an excellent one.
    With shotguns it matters more that the gun fits you rather than the brand of the gun, a poor fitting gun will contribute to poor scores. Another plus with Guerini is they offer a free fitting at Cambridge with any new gun purchase, usually this involves cutting the stock for a length of pull and pitch change.
    With your budget look at the B-guns, Browning, Beretta. Try to shoot both,they handle different with the Browning not feeling quite as lively to me although Browning came out with the 725 to address that.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    nothing wrong buy a very nice used gun either!! i shoot a Browning Cynergy not sure the next time i am heading to PGT&S but you can give it a try.

and this nice older Franchi Sporting is half your budget.... give you a lot of extra cash for shells.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=22092

a really nice H&K Fabarms Sporting!!
    http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/hk-fabarms-max-lion-sporting-clays.228399/#post-2159069

another Browning.
    http://www.trapshooters.com/threads...i-grand-prix-sporter-reduced-to-1-950.226530/

Last edited:

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    You should be able to find a used Beretta 682 sporting for around $2k. Also like the idea of the Belgium made Browning Broadway. You can find these with 30" or 32" barrels but typically come with fixed chokes. These are nice handling guns and can be sent to Briley for choke tube conversion.

If I were you I would wait until you know what you want in a o/u and shoot as many different guns possible. A Beretta 686, 682,692, DT10/11 and SO5 all handle differently.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    PJ. i fixed my post..
    so how do you like that 725!! i hear nice things about them over the Citori model..

It's for sale. :o

I really like them, shoot as well (or poorly) as I do with any gun. This is the third one I've had since they came out, including a 32". Should have kept the very first one I bough, hind sight being 20/20 of course.

I have a few other guns I am going to shoot through the winter, including a 391 Teknys I am waiting to come in the mail next week.

I haven't listed the 725 anywhere yet, when I do it will be gone within a 5-7 days or so. They are GREAT guns, good for all shotgun sports, fit is all but universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom