• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    anyone around LaPlata do or know of someone that repairs trailers in LaPlata aera?
    I noticed that my bering buddy was gone off one of my hubs didn't thing much of it thought it just came out after all they are just knocked in.

Today I looked at it and see that the berings where gone on and the wheel was just basicly sitting on the axle

Anyway that this can be repaired or will I need a new axle? and who can fix it for me?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    In Waldorf on Washington near Walmart is a trailer shop ( mr trailer ? ) and I believe the two shops in Newberg on 301 will work on trailers. One is a truck shop the other is marine dealer.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm not familiar with trailer axles, but, Tractor Supply has several trailer axle assemblies in stock, in White Plains, IF you need to replace the axle.

If you ran the trailer without the bearing(s), the spindle might be 'toast'.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Newburg Service Center does trailer work. Never used them myself for trailer work but I took my truck there one time to replace the hub and I was satisfied with the work and price.

301-259-2800

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP,

I had a similar issue years ago.

If the damage is as you say, it's unmovable. You will probably do more damage towing the trailer.

It's not that hard replacing the hub.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Ricky try cousin's auto repair....... Spittle & Holton.... or was that cousin's auto body repair?....

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have looked at it and looks simple to replace.
    I have to find the axle and mounting hardware.
    Went to the hitch man in waldorf they wanted $380 for just an axle
    Tractor supply had some for $250

I found some on amazon.com for $150 shipped but the hubs need to be welded, not like it is hard or big job I do not have a welder.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    I have looked at it and looks simple to replace.
    I have to find the axle and mounting hardware.
    Went to the hitch man in waldorf they wanted $380 for just an axle
    Tractor supply had some for $250

I found some on amazon.com for $150 shipped but the hubs need to be welded, not like it is hard or big job I do not have a welder.

You may be able to replace the spindle hub and bearings. Depends on what you have now. Can you put up a pic or two? If we can't figure it out, I know 3 or 4 places that can. E&S, Ben's repair, Stoltzfus machine, Coffee Hill

http://www.dexteraxle.com/resource_library_

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am sure I could replace just the one but I am sure the other will go bad soon, so it may be better to just replace it all at once.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Don't know how close you are but Cox trailer sales in Upper Marlboro are GREAT people to deal with. You could just replace the bearings and races in the other hub and be good to go.

I will say this about "bearing buddies" they're not.

Had a guy at a trailer shop tell me NOT to use them because 90% of the time they only get grease to the 1st or outer bearing and leave the inner dry. It takes a lot to get grease from the end of the hub all the way past the axle to the back bearing and into it. YMMV

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Don't know how close you are but Cox trailer sales in Upper Marlboro are GREAT people to deal with. You could just replace the bearings and races in the other hub and be good to go.

I will say this about "bearing buddies" they're not.

Had a guy at a trailer shop tell me NOT to use them because 90% of the time they only get grease to the 1st or outer bearing and leave the inner dry. It takes a lot to get grease from the end of the hub all the way past the axle to the back bearing and into it. YMMV

When installing bearing buddies you should back the inside of the hub assy full of the correct grease. Then when you fill up the bearing buddy with a grease gun the excess grease will be pushed out of the hub assy past the rear seal and allow fresh grease to take its place. To not use bearing buddies on a trailer the gets submerged under water or any harsh environment is foolish, The premise is to constantly have fresh grease to the bearing and to remove any water intrusion. You need to find a better educated trailer guy.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Take the hub off and see if there's damage to the spindle. If not, order the parts you need from eastern marine. Easy, though messy work.

almost right :) go to eastern marine and pick up the parts then you can hit X-Ring and Cabelas :)

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    This guy buys parts from us he does small trailer repair

Trailer Repair Service
    Bob Conner
    443-822-5183
    He is in Shady Side

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    When installing bearing buddies you should back the inside of the hub assy full of the correct grease. Then when you fill up the bearing buddy with a grease gun the excess grease will be pushed out of the hub assy past the rear seal and allow fresh grease to take its place. To not use bearing buddies on a trailer the gets submerged under water or any harsh environment is foolish, The premise is to constantly have fresh grease to the bearing and to remove any water intrusion. You need to find a better educated trailer guy.

I understand what your saying and that works great for marine trailers. I guess I should have qualified my statement as referring to travel trailers. I agree that boat trailers benefit from these. Although boat trailers were used for YEARS without these being a necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom