• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I bought two CZ50s from SOG a couple months ago. Both are in great shape, but one has obviously been shot more than the other. The more used one has a nicer trigger pull, smoother, it's broken in... The other has hardly been fired and doesn't have any issues, just needs shot more as it's a little stiff.

I'm having an issue with the one that's been shot more. This only happens once every 10-15 rounds, but while shooting in single action mode, the slide will cycle and the hammer will follow the slide down so that it's in double action mode for the next shot.

I bought several extra parts for the gun, I think I have an extra sear, possibly an extra hammer, extra sear spring, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem with a CZ50 or CZ70, and if so, what was the issue? Seems like a worn sear or hammer, or possibly weak sear spring could be causing it...

Also, there isn't a lot of good detail strip information online for this pistol. I have the only two guides to full takedown I can find (and they leave a lot to be desired), I've looked in all the major firearm disassembly books, and there isn't a whole lot. I wish there was a youtube video of the process, but I can only find field strip videos.

The pins and bolt/nut for full takedown are staked in place on this pistol, and it seems like you could really jack things up trying to get them loose. I did buy extra pins and the nut/bolt in case I mess them up.

Any tips would be appreciated. I am hoping I can get it back together once I get it apart!

Other than the occasional hammer follow, I love the pistol and it's fun and accurate.

Nimbus

Nov 16, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Also, there isn't a lot of good detail strip information online for this pistol. I have the only two guides to full takedown I can find (and they leave a lot to be desired), I've looked in all the major firearm disassembly books, and there isn't a whole lot. I wish there was a youtube video of the process, but I can only find field strip videos.

The pins and bolt/nut for full takedown are staked in place on this pistol, and it seems like you could really jack things up trying to get them loose. I did buy extra pins and the nut/bolt in case I mess them up.

I did a detail strip on one about a year ago. Punch the pins from the sideplate side and not all the way through before lifting the sideplate. The pin you need to most careful about is the sear pin (38). I tapped that pin out all the way and the sear spring (20) jumped out and I almost lost it. I do not recall anything else trying to jump out at me. I could not find any videos when I detailed that one either. The below schematic was relatively helpful to me. I could probably get my hands on one later this week to take another look at it and give some better details. But that is what I recall off the top of my head.

Attachments

• CZ 50.jpg
      CZ 50.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 1,044

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I can usually get through these detail strips and repairs with minimal cursing and lost parts, but this one looked particularly nasty. Which is probably one reason there isn't a YouTube video on it...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I spent a long part of my life carefully finding my way through detail strippings of all my firearms with no outside help, since in that way I would come to know the gun inside and out more intimately and surely than any other way, and in a minimum of time.

Whelp, it was in fact a CZ-50 that belonged to an acquaintance that I decided to work on for him that got me to stop that process after driving out the pins, losing parts, and then not knowing how the hell to put everything back together
    (hint, I was missing some pieces)

Since then, especially when it's other people's guns, it's youtube and a printout of the manual

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I spent a long part of my life carefully finding my way through detail strippings of all my firearms with no outside help, since in that way I would come to know the gun inside and out more intimately and surely than any other way, and in a minimum of time.

Whelp, it was in fact a CZ-50 that belonged to an acquaintance that I decided to work on for him that got me to stop that process after driving out the pins, losing parts, and then not knowing how the hell to put everything back together
    (hint, I was missing some pieces)

Since then, especially when it's other people's guns, it's youtube and a printout of the manual

Well I admire that you tried to do it that way, but I get too nervous and end up taking pictures along the way sometimes, usually with my laptop close by/youtube video pulled up, and a set of printed detail strip instructions at hand!

If I have a youtube video, I very rarely have any issues. And if it's a decently detailed set of printed instructions I'm usually OK, too. I just haven't been doing this long enough to be brave enough to dive in blind.

When I first got these in, I did detail strip the slides to get the gunk out. The first one I did, the extractor spring jumped out at me before I could block/grab it. I looked for literally HOURS. I took everything out of my gun room (that's a LOT of stuff) and searched the floor, etc.

Finally, I got tired of looking and found one online and ordered it. Then I went to watch a movie and kicked off my slippers. I have a picture of my slipper with a CZ50 extractor spring sitting in it.... :lol2:

How it got UNDER my foot, in my slipper, I have no idea. It must have flown into the leg of the chair and bounced back. :innocent0

Derp!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I can usually get through these detail strips and repairs with minimal cursing and lost parts, but this one looked particularly nasty. Which is probably one reason there isn't a YouTube video on it...

I'm in the middle of a project at the moment, so I can't go through the list, but if there's an appropriate e-book in this series I highly recommend them. They are only a few bucks each, and are clear and detailed. Gerard Henrotin is da man!

http://hlebooks.com/

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I finally dove in to my CZ50 to diagnose the hammer follow issue when I took it out to shoot one day and had it run away on me and go full auto. Yikes.

My worries about disassembly due to the supposedly staked in pins and nut were unfounded, it came apart easy as pie. Replaced the sear and sear spring. Getting parts lined up for reassembly was a bit challenging, but not too bad.

It runs like a champ now, fun and quite accurate little pistol. But, its a CZ, so that's no surprise!

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I finally dove in to my CZ50 to diagnose the hammer follow issue when I took it out to shoot one day and had it run away on me and go full auto. Yikes.

My worries about disassembly due to the supposedly staked in pins and nut were unfounded, it came apart easy as pie. Replaced the sear and sear spring. Getting parts lined up for reassembly was a bit challenging, but not too bad.

It runs like a champ now, fun and quite accurate little pistol. But, its a CZ, so that's no surprise!

Good for you! I have a CZ50 completely in pieces (similar problems to yours) with new sear and spring, tried to put it back together and just gave up. Nor could I find a gunsmith willing to do it. The lack of youtube videos kills people like me. Taking it apart was ok, but figuring out how to orient and replace the springs just isn't worth the time or aggravation to me, so it sits. If anybody wants a complete CZ50 with the new sear and spring, but completely disassembled, let me know.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Man, wish I lived close to you and could help you. I don't think I could be of help without having it in front of me.

I was able to do it by taking smaller roll pins and getting everything lined up with the small pin, then I pressed the small pin out with the actual pin, so everything stayed lined up. The sear and sear spring was hard go keep lined up along with the side plate...

Hope you can get that figured out, its well worth the trouble once you finally get it. I was also surprised because this is the first pistol I wasn't able to find a YouTube video for....

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Man, wish I lived close to you and could help you. I don't think I could be of help without having it in front of me.

I was able to do it by taking smaller roll pins and getting everything lined up with the small pin, then I pressed the small pin out with the actual pin, so everything stayed lined up. The sear and sear spring was hard go keep lined up along with the side plate...

Hope you can get that figured out, its well worth the trouble once you finally get it. I was also surprised because this is the first pistol I wasn't able to find a YouTube video for....

Well, you could disassemble the pistol, then film the reassembly and post it to youtube. Let me know when you're done.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Well, you could disassemble the pistol, then film the reassembly and post it to youtube. Let me know when you're done.

I don't really have a camera that would be good for doing that. BUT, I did take detailed pics as I took it apart, to remind myself of how things are orientated. I hope these help you!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    first four

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpg
      IMG_3594.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 177
    • IMG_3596.jpg
      IMG_3596.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 179
    • IMG_3597.jpg
      IMG_3597.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 185
    • IMG_3598.jpg
      IMG_3598.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 195

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    5 thru 8

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpg
      IMG_3599.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 234
    • IMG_3600.jpg
      IMG_3600.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 195
    • IMG_3601.jpg
      IMG_3601.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 173
    • IMG_3602.jpg
      IMG_3602.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 253

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    9 thru 12

Attachments

• IMG_3603.jpg
      IMG_3603.jpg
      89.8 KB · Views: 173
    • IMG_3604.jpg
      IMG_3604.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 179
    • IMG_3605.jpg
      IMG_3605.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 168
    • IMG_3606.jpg
      IMG_3606.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 196

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sorry for the blurry pics. I couldn't get a tripod positioned right to hold the camera still, and the slightest wobble with digital macro gives a major blur....

Hope that helps! I took those as I disassembled it and looked at them for reference when I put it back together, it helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom