• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlesmd

Mar 8, 2012
    On 3/16 MSP did a phone interview with me and called my wife for interview. They also called my work and spoke to my boss. But none of my personal references were called yet. I wonder why.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Looks like we are up to 120 people in my spreadsheet, and MSI said they were up to 150 a few days ago. I really thought MSI would have had more people respond.

I'm thinking that there have probably only been several hundred applications sent in without G&S since the ruling.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Broadside said:
    I'm thinking that there have probably only been several hundred applications sent in without G&S since the ruling.

I personally know of three more people uscoastie or MSI do not know. People lurk here but wish not to disclose their personal details.

Going by the numbers on the checks its probably around 4-500 applicants.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I have not been call yet. (submitted 3/12)
    I changed phone numbers. Any idea on how to go about updating MSP?
    Or don't bother?

I would think a letter to the Licensing Division detailing the change and a copy of your original p7 would suffice.

Good idea. I knew someone here was smarter than me.
    I think maybe I will add on the number that was written on the cashed check, maybe that will help them match up to the original app once they get it out from under the cobwebs.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I personally know of three more people uscoastie or MSI do not know. People lurk here but wish not to disclose their personal details.

According to what I have on the spreadsheet, if you take the difference of the numbers on the checks (speculation at it's finest), there have been 458 checks cashed.

Take this for what it's worth!!!

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia

I'm inclined to believe that those numbers don't just represent applications for Handgun Permits, but all payments that the MSP licensing division receives.

I think 300 to 400 is probably a better estimate. However, this is of course speculation also.

Whether the number is 300 or 500, it does not seem to be the type of volume that would overtax MSP resources.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm inclined to believe that those numbers don't just represent applications for Handgun Permits, but all payments that the MSP licensing division receives.

I think 300 to 400 is probably a better estimate. However, this is of course speculation also.

Whether the number is 300 or 500, it does not seem to be the type of volume that would overtax MSP resources.

Not at all disputing the numbers we have, because... well... that's all we have to go on!!

But if we take some anecdotal information and extrapolate it over the whole of MSP, the POSSIBLE numbers are quite different.

At the GB barracks, alone (where I would think the numbers are possibly higher than average), I've been told that there are 4 troopers handling permits right now, each with a stack 30-40 deep.

That's as many as (for round numbers) 150 permits there alone. Even if we say that the range would be anywhere from 25-150, I'll grab a guessed average of 50 per barracks, including Pikesville (23 in total). That gives us something on the order of 1150 apps (not just from MDS, obviously), which is really significant.

But, in reality, we don't know if it's 350 or 3500 (my gut says 2-3000), without some inside information.

Last edited:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Well not to mention, and as good as this site is, I bet there is 10 times more gun owners if not more that are not members of MDS. This news about Judge Legg was all over the news. I would bet the MSP got 1000's of app's from each county in Maryland. Many are not members of MDS.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Well not to mention, and as good as this site is, I bet there is 10 times more gun owners if not more that are not members of MDS. This news about Judge Legg was all over the news. I would bet the MSP got 1000's of app's from each county in Maryland. Many are not members of MDS.

Believe it or not.

Carry permit holders are only a small fraction of the gun owning community.

Thousands are a bit much for the 25 day window permits were being accepted openly, hundreds would be more appropriate.

We'll know in a few days, Wednesday (May 9th) Plaintiffs filing(s) are due...

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Believe it or not.

Thousands are a bit much for the 25 day window permits were being accepted openly, hundreds would be more appropriate.

I wonder if they will have any way of knowing how many people applied so they can show how interested people are unlike the MSP claim?

Mr H

Banana'd

Several of us have mentioned this previously, but it bears repeating.

Estimates vary, but let's say for the sake of this example there are 1 Million "firearms owners" in the state.

The smallest percentage of them (maybe 1/2 of 1%??) are actually interested in THIS particular issue. Run it to maybe 5-10% for those concerned about 2A in general.

That leaves 90%... 900,000... who don't give a rat's ass what we're doing.

They tend to be (and this is by no means disparaging or absolute, so no one come at me on this!!) the Hunters, sport shooters, the HD/SD types, the Preppers, the Sunday paper-punchers, and the ever-famous "Fudds" who are satisfied with how state law treats them currently.

"IGM" (I got mine) will be ALL our downfall if there is no move to educate those people about they might be next, if we fail.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Believe it or not.

Who knows how many really applied. I was just trying to point out that the number may be way higher then we can go by these posts. I know 12 gun guys and they either do not know about MDS or do not care to join. I tell them all about it and tell them they should join. But they could not care less about being a part of a web site like MDS.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Believe it or not.

In this sate, That is very easy to believe.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I wonder if they will have any way of knowing how many people applied so they can show how interested people are unlike the MSP claim?

Who knows how many really applied. I was just trying to point out that the number may be way higher then we can go by these posts. I know 12 gun guys and they either do not know about MDS or do not care to join. I tell them all about it and tell them they should join. But they could not care less about being a part of a web site like MDS.

In this sate, That is very easy to believe.

Three replies to the same post, I must have struck a nerve :lol2:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Several of us have mentioned this previously, but it bears repeating.

Estimates vary, but let's say for the sake of this example there are 1 Million "firearms owners" in the state.

The smallest percentage of them (maybe 1/2 of 1%??) are actually interested in THIS particular issue. Run it to maybe 5-10% for those concerned about 2A in general.

That leaves 90%... 900,000... who don't give a rat's ass what we're doing.

They tend to be (and this is by no means disparaging or absolute, so no one come at me on this!!) the Hunters, sport shooters, the HD/SD types, the Preppers, the Sunday paper-punchers, and the ever-famous "Fudds" who are satisfied with how state law treats them currently.

"IGM" (I got mine) will be ALL our downfall if there is no move to educate those people about they might be next, if we fail.

This is very true. And out of these people that are very interested, after we win, it will be like a kid with a new toy with people going out to buy their smaller carry gun and holster (including me). They will most likely carry often for the first 30-60 days. Then the novelty will wear off and they will carry every now and then.

I know many people that live in PA that have CCW but never carry anymore, assuming they really ever did that often when they first got their CCW.

The sad part about this truth, this maybe (I SAID MAYBE, not is) why other states do not have any problems. Because for the most part, I bet many people in all shall issues states don't bother to carry. They are just happy then can if and when they want to.

Now sure, you will have some gun die hards that will carry every day. I bet right now these people strap up when they get home from work and if nothing else they just walk around their house strapped. I'm talking about the 60%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom