• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    870 are still I'm stock. I believe there is a Mossberg 20 and 12 in stock. Call first to confirm though.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Can anyone tell me what the left side of the receiver says in regard to nomenclature? 870 magnum, 870 express, 870 police, 870 tactical, etc...

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    It is completely LEGAL for a Non-Prohibited, Maryland Resident, to Assemble or Manufacture a "Handgun" at home as long as they don't plan to resell the Firearm. The buyer CAN NOT re-sell this Firearm in Maryland.

Would there be any foreseeable issues with reselling it as a barrel and receiver separately? Like a kit?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Would there be any foreseeable issues with reselling it as a barrel and receiver separately? Like a kit?

Scott's position is it cannot be sold in MD once converted into a handgun. If sold outside of MD a FFL would have to be utilized and they probably will not transfer it.

If you do so it is not something we support or endorse.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

If you mean separating the barrel from the receiver, the ATF supervisor that essentially forced the completion of my 870 transfer through my local FFL, told me "do not ever separate the barrel from the receiver". He was quite adamant about that statement.

These guns exist right up against the fine line of still-legal.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    If you mean separating the barrel from the receiver, the ATF supervisor that essentially forced the completion of my 870 transfer through my local FFL, told me "do not ever separate the barrel from the receiver". He was quite adamant about that statement.

These guns exist right up against the fine line of still-legal.

really? that is interesting.

i'm not disputing you, Scotts, or the agent, but i wonder why there are so many rules around this firearm.

is it just because its a shotgun?

considering there are few issues you will encounter when legally building an AR pistol with an overall length less than 26 inches. to my knowledge (or lack thereof ;)) you can still legally disassemble that firearm and sell the parts separately.

again, i'm not arguing or trying to start a debate, merely curious.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    really? that is interesting.

i'm not disputing you, Scotts, or the agent, but i wonder why there are so many rules around this firearm.

is it just because its a shotgun?

considering there are few issues you will encounter when legally building an AR pistol with an overall length less than 26 inches. to my knowledge (or lack thereof ;)) you can still legally disassemble that firearm and sell the parts separately.

again, i'm not arguing or trying to start a debate, merely curious.

It's an other firearm and one of the very few outside a receiver that is still a title 1 item, and not N.F.A./ Title II.

It's not a shotgun, before or after the barrel is shortened. It's an other firearm if the OAL is 26.00" +

If you plan on "parting" a "shotgun" out, there are much cheaper alternatives.

As far as MD goes, the Law sees it as a handgun once a short barrel is attached.

This is the last part of the debate that I will allow on this subject or I'll start deleting posts for possible illegal discussion.

If you want to debate the subject start a thread elsewhere.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    It's an other firearm and one of the very few outside a receiver that is still a title 1 item, and not N.F.A./ Title II.

It's not a shotgun, before or after the barrel is shortened. It's an other firearm if the OAL is 26.00" +

If you plan on "parting" a "shotgun" out, there are much cheaper alternatives.

As far as MD goes, the Law sees it as a handgun once a short barrel is attached.

This is the last part of the debate that I will allow on this subject or I'll start deleting posts for possible illegal discussion.

If you want to debate the subject start a thread elsewhere.

thats good enough for me. it was not my intent to clutter Scotts IP section with speculative banter. i'll not be offended if any of my comments are deleted.

thanks again

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My apologies if I came across as instigating a debate. That was not at all my intent. My intent was to do nothing more than offer a small piece of insight into what it took to get this 870 into my hands.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My apologies if I came across as instigating a debate. That was not at all my intent. My intent was to do nothing more than offer a small piece of insight into what it took to get this 870 into my hands.

You were taking the road of caution antco. No problem.

Last edited:

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    You cant just buy a 14" mossberg barrel and throw it on. The tube and pump are shorter on the 14" mossberg.

Yeah I know but the 14" barrel is the hardest part to acquire at the moment since mossberg stopped selling them to the public. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom