• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I'm not sure how good of a price this is compared to buying in bulk but if you just need a few boxes the Walmart in Glen Burnie has 100 round boxes of Federal for 19.97 a box.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    For bulk pack, 9mm it's the going retail price. With sales tax it puts 9mm factory > 20 cents per round.

That's another good reason to reload. Think about it, 9mm range cases are basically free. Even at retail prices for powder and primers you'll have 6 cents in the round. Plated 124 gr bullets are about a dime delivered (high end). That comes out to $16/100 for reloads. And most of us reloaders build them for a lot less than that.

Same thing on .45 acp. How do you think DCR is keeping that new Tommy fed? It sure isn't by paying 35 cents per round at Walmart. :innocent0

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I pick up the .40 Federal Champion in the 100 bulk packs for roughly $28 including tax.

Reloading will be much cheaper once I acquire everything that is needed.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    For bulk pack, 9mm it's the going retail price. With sales tax it puts 9mm factory > 20 cents per round.

That's another good reason to reload. Think about it, 9mm range cases are basically free. Even at retail prices for powder and primers you'll have 6 cents in the round. Plated 124 gr bullets are about a dime delivered (high end). That comes out to $16/100 for reloads. And most of us reloaders build them for a lot less than that.

Same thing on .45 acp. How do you think DCR is keeping that new Tommy fed? It sure isn't by paying 35 cents per round at Walmart. :innocent0

My time is money in my eyes, and that is very valuable. How long does it take to do 100 reloads, from start to finish. Cleanup and setup included? Time to pick up and sort and clean 100 9mm cases?

16 for 100 9mm, doesn't seem like a bargain at all to me + your time imho...

Maybe .45 would be more worth it?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My time is money in my eyes, and that is very valuable. How long does it take to do 100 reloads, from start to finish. Cleanup and setup included? Time to pick up and sort and clean 100 9mm cases?

I agree time is money. 16 cents is "high end" price. And we all have the same 24/7. Again, I consider my reloading time as an extension of my range time - it's my "I ain't workin' right now" time. In that context, if it takes me an hour or three to build 100 new rounds of "whatever", my time isn't included in the cost equation. But when I take those rounds to the range...that'll be part of my fun time.

We that look at it that way really appreciate all those empty range cases you folks leave behind. We reload them at our leisure.
    :)

P.S. When supply gets thin, we reloaders usually have plenty of ammo on hand...just a thought...:innocent0

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

No 45 would not be worth it either. Please make sure to leave those cases behind at the range so that I can pick them up ...

Seriously - 45ACP is a pricey round to buy. I cast my own bullets for 45ACP, and it works out to be about $5.00 per 100 - but I get my lead for free. Buying equivelent 230 Grain FMJ "cheap" rounds is far more expensive. Ive seen the 250 count boxes go for $119. Thats a pretty significant difference, and the cast bullets shoot much better then jacketed "cheapies". I find myself shooting more, and more often going that route. Not to mention - Tommys & 1911's have a voracious appetite- that or I just have an itchy trigger finger.

For me casting, and loading my own, and seeing my ammo outperforming store bought stuff, makes it worth my time.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Even Hi-Point 9mm carbines can have voracious appetites. And I feed them the cheapest junk I can build - home cast, gunshow boolits, Berry's plated - you name it. And they all shoot as good or better than factory ammo.

The good news is DCR doesn't waste my 9mm reloads at the range. He puts empty mags in the carbine and says "bang" when he pulls the trigger. :rofl:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Even Hi-Point 9mm carbines can have voracious appetites. And I feed them the cheapest junk I can build - home cast, gunshow boolits, Berry's plated - you name it. And they all shoot as good or better than factory ammo.

The good news is DCR doesn't waste my 9mm reloads at the range. He puts empty mags in the carbine and says "bang" when he pulls the trigger. :rofl:

No - I just didnt put any mags in that gun .... Kinda hard to fire a gun, when the magazine is still on the shooting bench..

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    All the 9mm I shoot are reloads Tula primers, Berry's plated bullets and range pickup brass doesnt get cheaper than that.

Primers-$20/1000
    Bullets- $100/1000
    Powder-$20/1500
    Brass-Free

Comes down to about 13 cents per round for 9mm and .45ACP is about the same except bullets are $140/1000 so 17 cents per round.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    All the 9mm I shoot are reloads Tula primers, Berry's plated bullets and range pickup brass doesnt get cheaper than that.

Primers-$20/1000
    Bullets- $100/1000
    Powder-$20/1500
    Brass-Free

Comes down to about 13 cents per round for 9mm and .45ACP is about the same except bullets are $140/1000 so 17 cents per round.

$79 (i think) for 1000 at grafs and sons and free shipping.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom