• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How about a real, common sense anti-crime law: Theft of a firearm from a vehicle carries a minimum 5 year prison sentence.

On Target, MSAR, and all the other ranges in MD could post a conspicuous warning sign on the premises and in their parking lots.

Outstanding idea!
    (Hope that was sarcastic)

Until its plead down to tampering and misdemeanor theft to get the sure conviction;

sorry, but that's the way the game is played

Everyone here should know we already have sufficient laws ... making it "more illegal" never stops a criminal

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    How about a real, common sense anti-crime law: Theft of a firearm from a vehicle carries a minimum 5 year prison sentence.

On Target, MSAR, and all the other ranges in MD could post a conspicuous warning sign on the premises and in their parking lots.

Probably would have got shot down like all the common sense ammendments that were offered up for SB281 (FSA2013)

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA

Yeah, like maybe they should pass a law saying that crime is illegal. :eek:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I always thought you weren't supposed to stop when transporting a regulated firearm. Sorry for your loss.

Tru dat; and, un fathomable as it may to be to the majority of us, had the theft occurred in PG, MoCo, Howard, Balt Co, etc. OR had MSP responded, the victim often winds up being CHARGED accordingly!

Thanks again to OP for the significant intel and inherent reminder!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    sorry for your stuff getting stolen...but wth??? an off duty cop didnt do anything except call it in??:sad20:

Most people who make a statement like this are the same ones who think cops should be just like any other citizen while off duty with nothing "police power" afforded to them. But should do everything in their power when someone thinks they should act. :rolleyes:

Can an off duty cop in civilian clothes be able to carry inside Ikea that has a sign that says no concealed weapons? The majority says NO. Then that very cop does not need to try to enforce any law when he is 1. not on duty or 2. outside of his jurisdiction. Especially when he cannot afford to do it properly armed.

Also, the craziest part of your statement? He should have followed someone WITH A GUN.

I won't elaborate anymore because Name Taken said it all in a previous response.

OP... if possible, when leaving a range go home by a highway. Get up to a little speed during the drive. That is the easiest way to tell if someone is following you instead of playing zillion turn by turn cat and mouse games.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

terps2005

Mar 22, 2013
    I didn't read the whole thread, but this also my understanding. Wonder if the OP will be charged?

I sure as hell hope not but Who knows with Maryland. The way I read the law is if it's not expressly prohibited then it's legal. The law says you must be transporting to or from "target shooting" but does not say you cannot stop.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    reminder folks, (and no i didn't go through the entire thread) there are criminal elements who hang out near ranges both public and private, waiting to follow someone home. the hope is, as in this case, the unsuspecting will stop somewhere making the theft easy, or they will follow you home to know where the gun will be stored for a "later date" crime.

"The law says you must be transporting to or from "target shooting" but does not say you cannot stop." <<~~~"to and from" doesn't say you can stop and have dinner in between! Point A to point B, and in reverse, there is no 'in between.'

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I agree. This is not isolated to that range. Please let folks know which one it was. I was warned about the same thing has happened at Continental. We all know it is NOT the fault of the establishment.
    When I to to a public range I am keenly aware of SA and never take a direct route home.
    I am sorry for your misfortune and glad you are ok. It could have ended much worse.

I'd not heard that about Continental, but had read about several examples involving On Target & MSAR.

I tend not to linger when leaving public ranges & perform a thorough survey of the parking lot before returning to my car.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Just tossing this out there, has anyone considered calling their police and setting up a sting? Wouldn't be that hard. Plain clothes cop goes shoots gun in covert car. Leaves range, goes to local restaurant. Other plain clothes cops watch bait car... Firearm thefts are not to be taken lightly.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What, you mean the "Firearm safety act" did nothing to prevent or even deter this??? Shocker!

The "transfer" did not violate the SB281-2013 law because the perps had their HQL. Therefore, the transfer was all fine and good pursuant to SB281-2013. Granted, the theft issue might be a problem, but not the SB281-2013.

With that said, this is the argument why the antis want fewer and fewer guns in law abiding citizens' hands, because with fewer guns on the street, there are less for the bad guys to steal.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland does not require direct transport without stops.

New Jersey does. Also D.C., but I seem to recall Emily Miller was told by D.C. police that it was okay to stop for gas, etc.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Battered Gun Owner Syndrome. I bet there are lots of people who start maxing out blood pressure/near heart attack on their way to the range when they see a marked Police Car, sweating, shaking, constantly checking the rear view.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I really don't care. If I'm on my way to/from the range and I feel the need to stop and eat, get gas, use the bathroom, stop at Walmart, etc. I just do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom