• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Just commented on the story:

All of this could have been easily avoided had the MSP allowed the dealers to use the NICS background check system as they already do for rifles and shotguns. The sales to prohibited persons would have been stopped with a 2 minute phone call before the ink was dry on the sales forms. The State of Maryland decided to risk the safety of citizens by forbidding the dealers from taking this simple step. Put the blame where it belongs, on the shoulders of the O'Malley administration and not on those thousands of Marylanders who chose to exercise their rights ahead of a draconian law's implementation.

Light 'em up!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If a truckload of 50,000 handguns spilled on I-95 and the MSP knew which 50,000 homes they ended up in do you think the MSP would have been permitted 6 months to map out a retrieval plan to identify felons who had picked one up?

No, o'Malley would have ordered 50,000 NICS checks immediately to priortize which were felon households and rounded them up in a week. Idiots.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    If a truckload of 50,000 handguns spilled on I-95 and the MSP knew which 50,000 homes they ended up in do you think the MSP would have been permitted 6 months to map out a retrieval plan to identify felons who had picked one up?

No, o'Malley would have ordered 50,000 NICS checks immediately to priortize which were felon households and rounded them up in a week. Idiots.

Nope. He woulda taken his sweet time retrieving them, hoping something catastrophic would occur in the meantime that would elicit a public outcry to round up ALL of the guns in the state.

He's not an idiot, he's a leftist with an agenda.

And another plug for the responsible FFL's in MD that filtered firearms releases using reasonable policies during the big push last year in spite of the administration's reckless behavior... Kudos to you folks! Who takes public safety more seriously???

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    The caption on the picture claimed they were "automatic handguns". I wish these people who reported on this stuff had a clue.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The caption on the picture claimed they were "automatic handguns". I wish these people who reported on this stuff had a clue.

Actually, handguns are often termed "automatic." That's what the A in ACP (ie .45 ACP) stands for, which is also why the caliber is referred to as "45 Auto." Prior to machine guns, I guess they just called them automatic pistols. I would assume it wasn't until true full-auto that you saw the distinction between full- and semi-. This was clear reading the 1934 NFA hearings where there was confusion between an automatic pistol and a fully-automatic machine gun. The Congressmen thought they were the same.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    FOX is now excerpting stories from the Baltimore SUN? Was there nothing worth using in the DNC newsletter? What's worse is that they missed the entire fact of the strangely slow reviews by the MSP until after 10/1 and the inability/blocking of NICS checks. It reminds me of all of the rumors of major coverage of the CT gun grab that never seemed to end up on air except in little snippets. What is FOX doing?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Since any one of us can become a felon with the stroke of a pen(see Connecticut) maybe it's a good thing that felons can still buy guns. But it's not like they would consider asking for permission in the first place.....

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Per the article, 364 guns were sold to ineligible persons without waiting for the MSP 100+ day release. A total of 51812 guns were released under the 7-day hold.

So, 0.7% of the "early release" firearms were distributed to ineligible persons. Or 99.3% of these releases were OK.

Note that this is merely the ones released without waiting for the interminable MSP review. I don't know the total number of firearms processed during the period in question.

BTW, 360 guns have been recovered, leaving four out on the street. So you guys are pretty safe - there's only four thugs out there with illegal arms.

"We're from the MD General Assembly, and we're here to help you!" . . . Better send them a thank-you note.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    Per the article, 364 guns were sold to ineligible persons without waiting for the MSP 100+ day release. A total of 51812 guns were released under the 7-day hold.

So, 0.7% of the "early release" firearms were distributed to ineligible persons. Or 99.3% of these releases were OK.

Note that this is merely the ones released without waiting for the interminable MSP review. I don't know the total number of firearms processed during the period in question.

BTW, 360 guns have been recovered, leaving four out on the street. So you guys are pretty safe - there's only four thugs out there with illegal arms.

"We're from the MD General Assembly, and we're here to help you!" . . . Better send them a thank-you note.

Well this can as good news! The way we can interpret the MSP position on the 4 unrecovered guns transferred to prohibited individuals is that these are the only firearms that criminals have access to. Even better, now that they would be required to get a HQL before buying a handgun that will prevent them from obtaining one in the future. The children are so much safer now!:sarcasm::wtf:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

128,640 is the best number we have for the total number of applications processed however many applications were for more than one firearm. These are only for the regulated firearms, so called long guns which FFL's can do NICS checks on are not included in the number.

Of the 364 the police said they would not prosecute the vast majority because they were sold to people who did not know they were prohibited.

No doubt if the State Police had allowed the dealers to do NICS checks, which was within the power of MSP, then none of these guns would have been released. So slow background checks by MSP not following the law, then not applying adequate resources to correct the problem, and refusing to allow FFL's to conduct NICS checks of regulated transfers; means who is responsible for for felons getting firearms?

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    what they really need to ask is, how many criminals that bought firearms illegally actually care about background checks and laws in general.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    what they really need to ask is, how many criminals that bought firearms illegally actually care about background checks and laws in general.

An even bigger question would be how many of the prohibited individuals that purchased would be considered active criminals as opposed to just having past legal issues. I would think that the criminal element in MD would have easier, and cheaper, ways to obtain weapons with less ability for the MSP to track them. After all only 4 guns have not been recovered so I would believe that the balance of the prohibited purchasers gave valid addresses and contact information allowing the MSP to collect those weapons.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Actually, handguns are often termed "automatic." That's what the A in ACP (ie .45 ACP) stands for, which is also why the caliber is referred to as "45 Auto." Prior to machine guns, I guess they just called them automatic pistols. I would assume it wasn't until true full-auto that you saw the distinction between full- and semi-. This was clear reading the 1934 NFA hearings where there was confusion between an automatic pistol and a fully-automatic machine gun. The Congressmen thought they were the same.

I think that had something to do with how the military defined things at the time. the M1911 is sometimes called automatic pistol .45 caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom