• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    All of these fake semi autos like ar-22, ak-22, schmiesser-22, uzi-22 and so on. Do any of them hold their value or are they viewed as toys. Bud

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I don't know what constitutes a fake semiauto vs a real one? Do you mean a replica, or something built to those styles of firearms?
    Toys to me are just that. I've never heard of anyone saying a firearm is a toy?

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Well would I like to get shot by one of these newer 22cal replicas no
    Would I like even less to get shot by a 223, 762x39 or 9mm round yes.
    I meant as you know the 22 as opposed to the other calibers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The answer is, no, they're not going to hold their value very much in the long run unless they were very limited in production/import (Unique F11) or had some interesting feature (Calico).

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    In the long run...who cares?
    Do you shoot it and enjoy it?
    Doe your kids?
    I have only parted with one gun via sale.
    The rest I have given to my kids, close friends etc.
    I have one of the MP5 - 22 LR and they love shooting it.
    Will it be worth less than the fun and memories?
    Who can judge that.
    pablo

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    If you want an excellent value in a .22 buy a Marlin 60 (my personal favorite) or a 10/22.

If you want a gun that handles and looks just like an MP5, an AR, etc. you will pay a lot more for a gun that doesn't perform any better than the Marlin 60 in all the ways that matter most. So does that mean it is stupid to buy a MP5 in .22, or an M&P 15-22, etc.? Not at all. You buy guns like this because they are a lot of FUN. If you are looking for an investment strategy - you are in the wrong place.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I dont count on any .22 or non historical gun holding value. Guns that hold value are ones that either have some historical or cultural icon connection (e.g., luger, P38) or are "evil" and "bannable". Beyond that guns are a durable good, in decent condition they always have a certain residual value.

That said, I would say a PPS .22 would be a good buy, they go up and down in value depending who the importer is. Otherwise look for things that are odd or from companies that may not be around for long.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Like Alpine said, buy a Marlin model 60. They can be found cheap used. The AR types have come down a lot in the last several months, so no, they won't hold value.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    It's tough to predict what will hold value. A year ago, AR's were selling for insane prices due to a perceived shortage and possible imminent banning. All those folks that over paid won't get there money back any time soon if ever. And that's real ARs, not a 22 plinker version.

If you want an investment, take Jimbob's advice.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    I bought a Remington Apache 77 at K-Mart back in the 80's for $75
    They are selling for a whole lot more than that now.....
    Although, I will never sell any of my firearms so I really don't care.

I think the GSG stuff is junk. They will never hold value.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I bought a Remington Apache 77 at K-Mart back in the 80's for $75
    They are selling for a whole lot more than that now.....
    Although, I will never sell any of my firearms so I really don't care.

I think the GSG stuff is junk. They will never hold value.

I've got to disagree. The GSG StG-44 is well made and well executed. See pic below of the GSG replica alongside a real one.

Well designed, well engineered guns with good lines will always retain their value.

Look at your own example of the Remington Nylon 77. IMHO they are cheap junky guns. But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. The opinion that mattered cost $75 30 years ago. But still, if people are now willing to perform all sorts of unnatural acts to obtain a used Remington Nylon, the future of the GSG Stg-44 is very secure.

Is it a Winchester 52 sporter? No.
    Are you going to pull a NIB sample out of your closet in 20 years and fund your retirement? No.
    Will a well cared for example hold its value just like any other good mass production firearm? Yes.

PICT0204.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You have a REAL StG-44??!!

I've got to disagree. The GSG StG-44 is well made and well executed. See pic below of the GSG replica alongside a real one.

Well designed, well engineered guns with good lines will always retain their value.

Look at your own example of the Remington Nylon 77. IMHO they are cheap junky guns. But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. The opinion that mattered cost $75 30 years ago. But still, if people are now willing to perform all sorts of unnatural acts to obtain a used Remington Nylon, the future of the GSG Stg-44 is very secure.

Is it a Winchester 52 sporter? No.
    Are you going to pull a NIB sample out of your closet in 20 years and fund your retirement? No.
    Will a well cared for example hold its value just like any other good mass production firearm? Yes.

PICT0204.jpg

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I don't know what constitutes a fake semiauto vs a real one? Do you mean a replica, or something built to those styles of firearms?
    Toys to me are just that. I've never heard of anyone saying a firearm is a toy?

Seriously? I have referred to them as "toys" you know things that you have fun with

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom