• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I am a holdout, I have not applied for the MD handgun license.

The idea of having to be fingerprinted for a Constitutional right is so repulsive to me that I have considered possibly not getting the license at all. One thing that made that easier (G-d knows there are a lot of handguns still on my list) was the idea that I was applying for new teaching jobs and there was a possibility that one might allow me to move to NOVA or Delaware (I was also applying for teaching jobs in VA and in parts of MD that would put me in a reasonable commuting distance to VA or DE).

Well, I got an offer from a school district that was high on my list, I have 10 days to take it, and with the tight job market I'm not rejecting an offer from a district that I like for a possible offer that hasn't materialized yet. The offer is Anne Arundel County. Because it is early, I don't yet know which school I'll teach in, I just know that I am hired and in my teaching area. So, while there are a few schools that would put Alexandria in a somewhat reasonable commuting distance (though the salary wouldn't really make the parts of Alexandria that are close enough financially feasible), most likely I am remaining in MD for the foreseeable future and possibly for good.

So, that changes things for the license. I still hate the idea of having to be fingerprinted so much so that just thinking about it raises my blood pressure (enough that typing this saying I'm thinking about it gives me a headache). However, I also hate the idea that I may not be able to buy a handgun for the next 4-5 years minimum and probably forever. It isn't even the practical privacy issues- the FBI and other law enforcement agencies did so many background checks on me over the years and has had my fingerprints on file for every bank I worked for in my 20s, my substitute teaching jobs in the early 2000s, the psych hospital I used to work for, my current teaching job, my UT CCW, and again soon for my new teaching job that it surely isn't about me just not wanting them to have my prints. It is all about the principle- look at the Dems going nuts over voter-ID laws, just think of the outcry if a law was passed to require fingerprints for ANY other Constitutional right.

OK, sorry, rant over. I thank you greatly if you have read this far. I especially hope to hear from others who were originally thinking like me. Has anyone still refused to get the license? Those who felt as strongly as me but got it anyway, what pushed you into your decision?

I am just not sure what I'm doing about it yet?

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I was thinking the same way. Decided there is too much I want so I caved and got the hql. It's BS but if I plan to buy any more handguns I have little choice just like you.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    The judicial efforts are going to take quite some time, so unless you feel like waiting for an undetermined amount of time, you will likely want to get the HQL.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Two available routes ... wait 4 or 5 years and see if HQL is struck down or ... only buy handguns more than 50 years old.

C&R handguns are exempt from HQL and there are a lot of nice guns made prior to 1964 ... PPK's, Makarovs, 1911's, Browning HP's, Stars, Colts, Astras ... the list goes on and on

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm holding out. I was able to pick up the handgun I wanted prior to 10/1. There are a few unregulated firearms on my list that will help round out the collection in the next year or two until the law suits go to SCOTUS. There were only 6400 HQLs issued to date where MSP was planning on more than double that number with a budget plan shortfall of over $3M that MSP will have to come up with via Annapolis. There are a lot of people waiting out the law I think and our "defiance" of this unconstitutional law is havering an impact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Two available routes ... wait 4 or 5 years and see if HQL is struck down or ... only buy handguns more than 50 years old.

C&R handguns are exempt from HQL and there are a lot of nice guns made prior to 1964 ... PPK's, Makarovs, 1911's, Browning HP's, Stars, Colts, Astras ... the list goes on and on

I wasn't aware of that exemption. I have been starting to think about possibly getting a C&R license anyway. If C&R handguns are exempt, I'm sure you don't need the C&R license, but it could still be a factor in favor of finally applying for my C&R.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I'm holding out. I was able to pick up the handgun I wanted prior to 10/1. There are a few unregulated firearms on my list that will help round out the collection in the next year or two until the law suits go to SCOTUS.

Haha, I did get one of the handguns I wanted prior to 10/1. In fact, one of the reasons I went with the SIG P250 was the modular design so I could pick up different sizes and calibers while avoiding the law. Of course, for the past year the Caliber X-Change Kits have been almost impossible to find, unless they are from a dealer who is overcharging and thus hasn't sold their stock :mad54:

That said, like you, one thing that can help me hold out longer is the number of non-regulated guns on my list. The past few years (about 10) I've been buying mostly handguns and I've been partially neglecting my shotgun and rifle list and it has been about 5 or 6 years since I last bought a shotgun or rifle at all. The list of what I want from that list has become quite long, and having to wait on pistols will help me shorten that list a bit.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Think about this:

The HQL is unpleasant to get because Frosh WANTS you to give up and never buy a handgun again. That's the point. As much fun as it is to humiliate you and stick their hands in your pockets and take your money, that's far less satisfying than you quiting altogether. When you do that, you're effectively creating a one-person handgun ban, which is probably what we'd have right now if not for Heller

Either way, they've got you, but if you suck it up and get the HQL, at least you get to keep buying handguns.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I won't speak to another man's decision regarding this issue. I will say that I myself will never have an HQL. I have handguns, am quite qualified in their usage thanks, and I'll be damned if I'll ever submit to some collection of elitist bureaucrats who tell me I need their blessing and their license to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

What concerns me most about this issue is the sickening likelihood of an increasing acceptance that the HQL may tend to gain over time. It will likely in time be even more so perceived to be "ok" to license this fundamental right. It is amazing to me what otherwise intelligent people have the ability to rationalize. Want a handgun? Get an HQL. And somehow that's ok, regardless of inalienable rights, and regardless of what the constitution says.

It isn't ok. It's dangerous, and dangerous to a degree unimaginable to many and perhaps most who increasingly possess no sense of world history, and who seemingly have no inclination to read or to learn what tyrannical and unchecked government can look like in very real terms to very real people. What makes any such acceptance even worse and even more inherently dangerous is that this right is the ONLY right that defends and protects all others. A helluva lot of people have died in this country in defense of these rights. Their licensing of the rights that these men and women died for be damned.

My hope is that our courts will one day soon affirm the right of the governed to freely exercise this most important and fundamental of rights that we as citizens inherently possess, and that the writers of the constitution specifically and indeed quite prophetically affirmed we should and must possess. If they do not, then I shudder to envision what comes next.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I won't speak to another man's decision regarding this issue. I will say that I myself will never have an HQL. I have handguns, am quite qualified in their usage thanks, and I'll be damned if I'll ever submit to some collection of elitist bureaucrats who tell me I need their blessing and their license to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

What concerns me most about this issue is the sickening likelihood of an increasing acceptance that the HQL may tend to gain over time. It will likely in time be even more so perceived to be "ok" to license this fundamental right. It is amazing to me what otherwise intelligent people have the ability to rationalize. Want a handgun? Get an HQL. And somehow that's ok, regardless of inalienable rights, and regardless of what the constitution says.

It isn't ok. It's dangerous, and dangerous to a degree unimaginable to many and perhaps most who increasingly possess no sense of world history, and who seemingly have no inclination to read or to learn what tyrannical and unchecked government can look like in very real terms to very real people. What makes any such acceptance even worse and even more inherently dangerous is that this right is the ONLY right that defends and protects all others. A helluva lot of people have died in this country in defense of these rights. Their licensing of the rights that these men and women died for be damned.

My hope is that our courts will one day soon affirm the right of the governed to freely exercise this most important and fundamental of rights that we as citizens inherently possess, and that the writers of the constitution specifically and indeed quite prophetically affirmed we should and must possess. If they do not, then I shudder to envision what comes next.

Well said, sir.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Very, very well said, Sir!

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Don't want to tell you what to do, just offer suggestions. One of which is to get the C&R. Lots of very good handguns can be had now with it (no need for the blasted HQL), plus they are shipped right to your door. Prices are reasonable too!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If you want to by a noncurio/relic handgun get the HQL. If you have already bought a regulated firearm 'they' already know. It takes about 3 weeks after submission of the paperwork to recieve HQL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Uncle Duke saved me a lot of typing.
    The entire concept is catagorically unaceptable. Any actual gaps of Need , can be filled with 1963 hardware.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

I have amended my previous post, please read my reasoning.

I largely agree.

Twas a moment of weakness that I suggested the OP to cave. I personally do not have an HQL - although I am exempt and able to teach people to obtain one.

Here's my twist - if you do not already own a sufficient firearm for self or family defense, you should legally do so. And the only way most law-abiding citizens in Maryland can do that now is with an HQL; hence my recommendation to get one.

Again, criminals do not care; nothing changed for them on 1 Oct 2013. Except that fewer law abiding citizens will be able or be willing to go through all the trouble and expense to get a license to defend themselves. Criminals rejoiced, the rest of us suffer. Crooked politicians don't care and lick the boots of their political overlords.

Meatasaur

Feb 21, 2013

Bravo Zulu, sir. Well said and this veteran will also not capitulate and will never get an HQL!

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Do you guys have drivers licenses. I am old enough to have ridden motorcycles before there was a license. I heard the same arguments from my friends back then. They all have then now. I don't care and I haven't gotten mine either but if I see something I desire I think I'll pony up to the counter and get an HQL. The ffl will go out of business with your attitudes and these are the guys we used to hand out with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom