• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My Dad just sent me these pictures. Looks like someone he knows has a revolver that he can't identify. I've never seen the markings on this pistol before and I can't make out the "Made In" up near the hammer on the receiver. It looks like a S&W.

Anyone care to speculate?

Attachments

• 20140410_200334.jpg
      20140410_200334.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 455
    • 20140410_200258.jpg
      20140410_200258.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 424
    • 20140410_200211.jpg
      20140410_200211.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 420

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    More details:

first picture has the shield with J L G and to left has Made in Spain also has 32 long ctg stamped on barrel also in shield has ARMS AMUNITION

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Spanish clone of the S&W Military & Police revolver. These were made in large numbers and imported in the interwar period. This is what prompted S&W to mark their revolvers with "Trade Mark" and "Marcas Registradas." The cheapo clones were flooding both the US and Latin American market and S&W wanted it to be made known that theirs were the genuine article.

The qualities of these clones vary greatly. Some rival S&W in fit and finish, while others are pieces of crap that are loose and wear out quickly. Make sure yours is safe to fire. I've read that some can take S&W parts with only minor fitting, while others are only clones in design and will require a lot fitting to take S&W parts.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    And there were a bunch of factories in northern Spain making this kind of copy and copies of many other guns. Some were only in business for a short time before being bought out or moving. It might be hard to figure out which one actually made this.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    BTW, that's not too exact of an S&W clone. Look at the cylinder notches. It locks up by the hand pushing the cylinder against the bolt. A real S&W (and most of the clones I've seen) lock up with the bolt only.

Also, Victory Model refers to a specific variant of the M&P.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    BTW, that's not too exact of an S&W clone. Look at the cylinder notches. It locks up by the hand pushing the cylinder against the bolt. A real S&W (and most of the clones I've seen) lock up with the bolt only.

Also, Victory Model refers to a specific variant of the M&P.

A clone need not be exact in it's methods of operation to fool many who would not know the difference. See my prior post for more information on the Victory revolvers. I actually own one and it is a great piece of history.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/victory_model_smith_and_wesson.htm

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The preak period of the Spanish knockoffs predated the Victory Model per se. But then the Victories were essentially standard M&P's with parkerized finish and lanyard loop.

Yes in that era S&W's were huge in Latin America , to the point that " Smith & Wesson " was nearly a generic term for handgun , like "ColtL was earlier in US .

Like Ken792 said some you hand to look closely to see they weren't actual S&W , others were sort of vaguely inspired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom