• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I don't know about you, but the recent/impending state and federal regulations make me damned dizzy (so their evil plan is working). I have a sweet factory M4 SBR and was psyched to have Engage mount the NEA CCS on it - only to find out that the lower was fabricated to prevent FA conversion, and the segmented gap would not permit installation. Not willing to have the lower permanently altered, I was out of luck. Now, with the combined HBAR/handgun roster brouhaha, and the impending ATF rule change in June, I'm even less consolable.

So I am looking for suggestions about a PDW I can actually obtain in this state. (The alternative is to add my best friend as a trustee for an Ohio base, and head out there to buy a suitable AR SBR with a minimum of fuss, but of course I couldn't bring it into Maryland.)

The Platonic ideal is the MP5. What could I get that's close? I am not particularly interested in FA at this time due to the order-of-magnitude increase in purchase cost. I would like to keep it in the 9mm, .45 ACP, or 5.56 area, though honestly I'm not opposed to .22lr if that makes it more doable. SBR, threaded barrel, and the HK-type collapsable stock are highly desired.

Thoughts/suggestions?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I dunno... you're fairly constrained by the copycat tests and the ALG list. Oh, and there's that new wrinkle where SBRs need to be on the roster to be transferred. *sigh*

If I were going to try to do a PDW in this environment, I'd be thinking about doing a PLR-16-based SBR. They're light, they're reliable, they just make OAL, and they have a hard-hitting round (5.56x45). Plus you can buy a pistol (on the roster!) and form 1 it.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I dunno... you're fairly constrained by the copycat tests and the ALG list. Oh, and there's that new wrinkle where SBRs need to be on the roster to be transferred. *sigh*

If I were going to try to do a PDW in this environment, I'd be thinking about doing a PLR-16-based SBR. They're light, they're reliable, they just make OAL, and they have a hard-hitting round (5.56x45). Plus you can buy a pistol (on the roster!) and form 1 it.
    Yeah, this sucks!

I've never had good success with Kel-Tec (the SIG version of the Sub2000 could not be made to work relaibly after TWO trips back to the factory) so I'm a little wary there. Do you have positive experiences there?

I was/am considering Engage's AR pistol because it's on the roster, but my (admittedly limited) understanding is that the (eventual) SBR would still need to through the handgun board due to the new configuration. But who the hell knows?!

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

If SBRs are handguns then haven't a lot of people been buying handguns on the "assualt pistol" list?

An Uzi SBR would be considered a pistol which is banned if I am understanding this correctly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If SBRs are handguns then haven't a lot of people been buying handguns on the "assualt pistol" list?

An Uzi SBR would be considered a pistol which is banned if I am understanding this correctly.
    Pistols are handguns.
    SBRs are handguns.
    Pistols are not SBRs.
    SBRs are not pistols.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Pistols are handguns.
    SBRs are handguns.
    Pistols are not SBRs.
    SBRs are not pistols.

Pistol may mean the same thing as Handgun though. We have at least one instance of legislative intent/purpose demontrating that.

In subsection (a)(4) of this section, the reference to a “handgun” is substituted for the former references to a “pistol” and a “revolver” for consistency within this article.” Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-104 Legislative Notes (2013)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The SIG P-556, Bushmaster Carbon15, Engage E4, or remington XP100 are other good choices

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was/am considering Engage's AR pistol because it's on the roster, but my (admittedly limited) understanding is that the (eventual) SBR would still need to through the handgun board due to the new configuration. But who the hell knows?!
    If you buy the pistol and SBR it on a form 1, no handgun roster issues.

I don't own a K-T PLR-16. If I saw one for the right price, I'd buy it and SBR it.

Also, I have long been suspicious of the "AOW trick" when used with assault pistols, and have therefore refrained from using it.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    How about a semi HK MP5-K clone. They are considered and AOW so only a $5 stamp and won't have to worry about SBR issue hopefully. That is of you want pistol caliber.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    How about a semi HK MP5-K clone. They are considered and AOW so only a $5 stamp and won't have to worry about SBR issue hopefully. That is of you want pistol caliber.

A pistol caliber would be OK - any thoughts about which purveyor might be able to supply one with such a fine implement?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Dedicated 9mm AR lower, short barrel, build it into a pistol then install a SIG brace

This!!

Don't forget Engage's AR Pistol is on the roster. So you can do an Engage AR pistol (5.56) with a Sig Brace! That should make a nice PDW without the wait!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Can one still get dedicated 9mm lowers in MD??? I'd love to make a pistol with one.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    ATF RULE CHANGE?

I don't know about you, but the recent/impending state and federal regulations make me damned dizzy (so their evil plan is working). I have a sweet factory M4 SBR and was psyched to have Engage mount the NEA CCS on it - only to find out that the lower was fabricated to prevent FA conversion, and the segmented gap would not permit installation. Not willing to have the lower permanently altered, I was out of luck. Now, with the combined HBAR/handgun roster brouhaha, and the impending ATF rule change in June, I'm even less consolable.

So I am looking for suggestions about a PDW I can actually obtain in this state. (The alternative is to add my best friend as a trustee for an Ohio base, and head out there to buy a suitable AR SBR with a minimum of fuss, but of course I couldn't bring it into Maryland.)

The Platonic ideal is the MP5. What could I get that's close? I am not particularly interested in FA at this time due to the order-of-magnitude increase in purchase cost. I would like to keep it in the 9mm, .45 ACP, or 5.56 area, though honestly I'm not opposed to .22lr if that makes it more doable. SBR, threaded barrel, and the HK-type collapsable stock are highly desired.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Ummmmmm :o What ATF rule change is coming in June? Have not heard about this??:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom