• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Another option is to change out your front handguards to the Magpul MOE guards. They are a lower profile and allow you to slide your EOTech farther forward over the handguards, like this:

384915085.jpg

384915088.jpg

That is an EOTech 557.223 on my AR, with Magpul MOE handguards. It gives a lower 1/3 co-witness...

Jamie

rob-ss

May 4, 2010
    Maryland
    AWOL,

Yeah, go ahead and ditch the carry handle. Good choices on optics. The XPS takes up a lot less room than the 557. I have the 3x mounted behind my XPS3.0 (which is for sale by the way).

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 535

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    If you deadset on getting an EO Tech, then do yourself a favor and get a Larue LT110 QD mount. This will address a number of issues you've mentioned - it will raise the optic so you get a lower 1/3 co-witness which is less cluttered; it will allow you to mount a AA EO forward to give rear clearance for BUIS and the flip mount while also clearing the handguard; and finally you will have QD capability. You may also want to consider the transverse CR123 powered EO as it is much smaller. The very best thing you cousin do is get an Aimpoint in a Larue mount and all the other issues would no longer exist, especially durability and battery life. :D

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    If you remove the carry handle, you can put a dominator 2 mount on it (BUIS) then get the magnifier and EOTech.

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    I'm overwhelmed by the amount of help!

Ok... I am seeing recommendations for scopes like the "DMS-1" - what I am really looking for is something that will flip in front of the holo sight and give me some magnification. I am not planning on doing much with this rifle past even 75 yards. And I'm not a very good shot! :D (Yet... :P ) I am unfamiliar with the DMS sight however.

As for the Aimpoint Vs. EOTech; I really, really like the 1x ease for acquiring targets - I've handled an EOTech sight in person. You can just look through with both eyes open no problem etc. (I know this can be done in other ways as well, but...) What is aimpoint's closest competitor to the EOTech?

I liked the different "windage" or "yard markings" (don't know the correct term) on the EOTech 557; I don't believe that the XPS2 has that. Is it worth trying for the .223 specific EOTech sight and using the MagPul MOE handguards to get more rail? Or is that just a matter of taste?

I like these Matech 600m back up iron sights:

matech_4.jpg

Someone recommended the LaRue QD LT 110 Lifter for the EOTech sight:

LRT.312-2T.jpg

What influence would this have on my BUIS? if I have a flip-to-side 3x magnifier sitting on top of the BUIS, will all that fit on top of this LaRue lifter?

I've also thought about getting the MagPul MOE handguards; Can I integrate some kind of lifter onto a rail on the new handguards? It seems like the rails on the MagPuls are addons anyway.

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    I was just going to mention this:

rrdom10.gif

Lol :D

I am also curious - are there varying front sight sizes? I need to go look at the markings on my AR - it's locked away safely at home (slow day at the office today).

I have read somewhere that bushmaster has extra-tall front sights?

I don't mind spending a little bit to do it right; just want to do it right the first time :D

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    You realize that aimpoints aren't necessarily magnified, right? you can put a T1 or an H1 (both unmagnified) on your rifle and a magnifier behind it on a pivot mount. See my previous post.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The DMS-1 is made by Millett. I own one and am happy with it given its price point. I wanted an adjustable magnification red dot that wasn't going to cost me a mortgage payment. For ~$220, it's a good bang for the buck.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I really think that Aimpoints or Eotechs supplemented with FTS magnifiers is the way to go. It is fast and accurate at the same time. Be mindful that most magnifiers will not center the reticle of your RDO in the middle of the magnifier's field of view. Purchase one with an x/y axis adjustment ( aimpoint/ burris) to get them perfectly centered when deployed. I have both 1-4x scope and an Eotech / 3 x magnifier mounted on identical rifles. The Eotech combo is definitely faster, but the scopes are more accurate.

You can't go wrong with either set-up. It just depends on what suits your purpose the best. But for CQB to 400 yard shots. Both set-ups perform well.

BTW, the matech Buis is a good performer, but a bit fragile when it is a stand alone unit. I have snagged and broken one off about a year ago when doing weak side transition drills. The little tab that holds the sight down also tends to wear out. ( you'll see rubber bands on them at a few instances, to hold the sight from popping up.) For back-up use, they are hard to beat.

As for the LaRue Lifter, You can use that for the Standard height Eotechs and magnifier. The BUIS ( matech) still mounts on the receiver.The 557's already mount higher and require no added mounts.However, it only produces a lower 1/3 co-witness view. Standard Eotechs will result in absolute co-witness when mounted on the reveiver and used with a BUIS and standard front sight. As KevP stated, The Larue mount resolves a lot of your issues and provides a less cluttered 1/3 lower co-witness set-up. The Millet Riser Rail also does the same thing without breaking the bank.
    As you can see, you have tons of options. Confused yet? Best thing to do is to hook-up with MDS members and try before you buy.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I find that when shooting with both eyes open I'm just as fast with the DMS-1 as I am an Aimpoint. It does however take some practice. IMHO mounting an optic and a separate magnification optic is a complicated way to achieve the best of both worlds that you get with a good 1-4x optic.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I find that when shooting with both eyes open I'm just as fast with the DMS-1 as I am an Aimpoint. It does however take some practice. IMHO mounting an optic and a separate magnification optic is a complicated way to achieve the best of both worlds that you get with a good 1-4x optic.

The Millet DMS-1 with its illuminated reticle (Circle dot) can be used like a Trijicon ACOG scope. The BINDON aiming concept can be applied to this. Simply focus your dominant eye on the reticle, the weak eye on the target and background. Your brain blends the images together. It takes a bit of getting used to... but once learned, you can even shoot fast and accurate, even with the front lens cap closed.
    This method is similar to the principle of the ARMSON OEG ( occluded eye gunsight) it is fast, accurate with no loss of peripheral vision.

My Ruger AC556K uses this set-up and I'm extremely happy with it.

Attachments

• ac556dms1.jpg
      ac556dms1.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 408

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Deltonvortex2.jpg

I would just like to add that i run the millet DMS sometimes and love it. I've even deer hunted with it. The illuminated "doughnut of dead" is fantastic in low light situations. When in thick woods or cover the 1x capability is crucial. I have since moved the MRDS over to my new charger, but i was running it on the cant for 20yrds and in. The millet zero'ed at 100yrds. I also have to add that when running drills on steel at CQB distances the MRDS is an awesome secondary system that requires you to do nothing but cant the weapon to shoot. Which is actually more comfortable than i thought it would be to do.
    I strapped mine down with some Warne QD 30mm Steel mediums. I take the scope off regularly to run the irons or other optics and it always goes back to dead zero. I zeroed the scope last winter in the cold weather for hunting. Took it off, put it back on last week in the 100' heat. Loaded up and benched 5 shots just under 1moa. I was rather impressed.
    Scar is absolutely correct about the front sight "ghosting" in the scope at 1x-2.5x. At 3x-4x is disappears, due to the focal plane being far enough beyond the front of the weapon. I installed the ARMS folding aframe front sight. I highly recommend it, very strong and very durable. Will not fold down unless folded by you and when up is rock solid.
    Deltonvortex1.jpg

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    So...

EOTech 557, flip-to-side 3x Magnifier (does L3 make these to match?) and Matech 600m

All of this mounted to the spot where my handle is currently -

I 100% understand why people like the marksman scopes - the one on my father's Ruger 10-22 is a blast. I originally set out for a simple holo replacement for my iron sights (1x) and then saw a flip-to-side 3x magnifier at the range last weekend (in combo with the holo sight). This particular rifle had an EOTech 557, 3x Magnifier and then front & back flip up BUIS. I was like, "I WANT THIS!" It was, however, picatanny rail all the way up and down.

The thing I don't want, though, is to spend another $2k or so and start from scratch again. I'll drop the cash for the EOTech, the magnifer and the BUIS, but I am sticking with my upper & lower.

So final questions:

Who makes a solid flip-to-side magnifier?

Can I get a BUIS that will fit underneath the flip-to-side magnifier? Is there something *better* than the Matech 600m? I definitely want something solid.

SCARCQB had a picture with a setup I really like:

Looks like the matech 600m is underneath of the magnifer.

Do I need to get new front handguards to fit all this on there? (With extra picatinny rail)

SCARCQB - what is in this setup if you don't mind letting me know? :) You said - Aimpoint 3x magnifier, LaRue FTS and EOTech 557 - are there more specific model numbers for the aimpoint and LaRue mount?

And all, I appreciate the help and advice - you guys are overwhelmingly informative :D

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If you're worried about having to start over again after dropping 2k, think about not getting an eotech and going with an aimpoint H1 instead. I've read too many stories of peoples EOTechs going down followed by poor customer service from L3.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Aimpoint 3x magnifier, LaRue FTS and EOTech 557 - are there more specific model numbers for the aimpoint and LaRue mount?

If you are going to use an EOTech557 and Aimpoint 3x mag. with Larue mount you will want this LT-649-T If you go to that link it shows pictures with several different optics setup. If you have not looked into Aimpoint RDO's you really owe it to yourself to check them out before you drop the coin.

If you have questions about things clearing your handguard or if a BUIS will fit under something and you plan on using Larue mounts, give them a call and talk to them. They are very helpful folks over there :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom