• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Theres plenty of common sense in the Constitution. Those that don't follow it are lacking.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Fine, pay $200 to vote. Pay $200 avoid warrantless searches of your home and vehicle. Pay $200 to practice your religion.

When you have to pay money to do it, you aren't exercising a right; you're asking your government for permission and paying for the privilege. Either we all have a God-given right to keep and bear arms in order to defend ourselves and our loved ones from harm or we have a privilege which our government has granted us and which can be revoked on a moment's notice. Pick one.

Code:

Well, everyone should have a gun, right?

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    No. All this does is limit the scope of the decision. It is deliberately silent on the standard of review. Silence is silence.

It is an error to infer anything from silence..

That's not what he asked. He didn't ask about the standard of review. Heller definitely leaves open the door to restrictions on gun ownership.

alzoom85

Feb 27, 2013
    Fine, pay $200 to vote. Pay $200 avoid warrantless searches of your home and vehicle. Pay $200 to practice your religion.

When you have to pay money to do it, you aren't exercising a right; you're asking your government for permission and paying for the privilege. Either we all have a God-given right to keep and bear arms in order to defend ourselves and our loved ones from harm or we have a privilege which our government has granted us and which can be revoked on a moment's notice. Pick one.

Code:

Are you not forgetting that god does not exist and she does not give u ur rights but goverment does.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Uh, yes you do
    http://www.elections.state.md.us/voter_registration/index.html
    (yes, I know enforcement isn't at all strict)

463.jpg

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Everyone who is not otherwise prohibited should have to option to decide for themselves whether to have and carry a gun.

Only thing I would add is to say "not otherwise prohibited" for an extremely good reason. Things like "well he got in a bar fight in 1973 and since then we decided that that's now a violent crime and they're prohibited for life" are blatantly contrary to the intent of the Second Amendment. Rather, they're excuses used by people who don't think anyone who isn't working for the government should be allowed to touch a gun to ban as many other people as possible from touching guns.

Outside of a murder conviction, I don't think there's too much else that should warrant an individual losing a core right like that without some sort of regular, transparent review by an impartial group.

Code:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Only thing I would add is to say "not otherwise prohibited" for an extremely good reason. Things like "well he got in a bar fight in 1973 and since then we decided that that's now a violent crime and they're prohibited for life" are blatantly contrary to the intent of the Second Amendment. Rather, they're excuses used by people who don't think anyone who isn't working for the government should be allowed to touch a gun to ban as many other people as possible from touching guns.

Outside of a murder conviction, I don't think there's too much else that should warrant an individual losing a core right like that without some sort of regular, transparent review by an impartial group.

Code:

Then we need to work to change the law. Leaving these things for humans to decide case-by-case will not be pleasant, or equitable.

The way your post is worded, it reads like ADW, Armed Robbery, Att. Murder, Ag. Assault, DV, Ag. Battery, and others would all be OK. I hope that wasn't your intent.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    You don't need a permit to assemble? Register to vote? The HQL is a pain in the arse but I don't see the unconstitutional argument going anywhere and I don't see those lawsuits going anywhere. Fingerprinting is the only part of it that is really strange and easily argued to be for public safety. (Not saying I agree, just saying it's a solid argument that they are likely to win.)

Better arguments are for shall issue vs. may issue and the right to self defense inside and outside of the home.

What's the Big Deal about Finger Printing, had to have it done when I joined the Corps and to get my clearances, oh and "what" I served 22 years to protect and uphold the constitution...The HQL is thwarting effort, Hell, CA has a "Bullet Button", NY has a funky buttstock, MA God Knows??? I would be more worried about not being able to buy a Big Gulp than paying 200 buck to have a Pistol....

Am I missing something? You guys are arguing that you're ok with the HQL?!? No wonder MD eats shit all the time when it comes to gun laws.

The purpose of the HQL, as told to us agreeable masses by the politicians, is to eliminate straw purchases. A list of the issues with this statement

- We already had to show a Maryland issued identification card

- There is no proof that straw purchasing is an issue in MD

- Majority of firearms used in crimes are stolen

- Straw purchasing, no matter the requirements to purchase, is a notoriously difficult crime to prosecute

How do I know these things? Because I, along with many other freedom loving Marylanders, took multiple days off work sometimes staying on location up to 16 hours with no food to fight this ******** (were you there?). It's disgusting that you think it's not a big deal. It is ABSOLUTELY an infringement on a constitutional RIGHT, everyone, even the politicians know this. The question at hand is whether it can be allowed in the interest of public safety.

Permitting a right to assemble is allowed because it can be proven that the permit is in the best interest of public safety. However I do not need a permit to stand by myself with a sign. Nor do I need a permit to walk down the street and tell people what I think of our government.

How does an HQL benefit public safety? If the benefit to the public cannot be PROVEN (which I believe it cannot), then the requirement for an HQL is unconstitutional.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You don't need a permit to assemble? Register to vote? The HQL is a pain in the arse but I don't see the unconstitutional argument going anywhere and I don't see those lawsuits going anywhere. Fingerprinting is the only part of it that is really strange and easily argued to be for public safety. (Not saying I agree, just saying it's a solid argument that they are likely to win.)

Better arguments are for shall issue vs. may issue and the right to self defense inside and outside of the home.

Good. I think people should have to pay around $400 to vote. Should solve a lot of the problems in the Nation when those on welfare can no longer vote.

Notice that what Mr. H said is that the HQL is in essence a poll tax. There is a fee related to the HQL. Last I checked, there is no fee related to registering to vote. Is there a fee for a permit to assemble?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Good. I think people should have to pay around $400 to vote. Should solve a lot of the problems in the Nation when those on welfare can no longer vote.

Notice that what Mr. H said is that the HQL is in essence a poll tax. There is a fee related to the HQL. Last I checked, there is no fee related to registering to vote. Is there a fee for a permit to assemble?

It depends on the jurisdiction and how many people are going to be there.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    What is your objective measure of prohibitively expensive and on what do you base that? For me a $200.00 hit in the wallet to get my HQL may not be a big deal, but to someone else (single mother of 3 trying to support her family) it very well could be the deal breaker.

How'd you get by at $200? We paid $60 for finger prints, $50 for MSP application, and I think the class was $135. And make that times 2 when we add in the wife too. We did not have this garbage when we moved here 20 years ago... So we are looking to move West... just like Larry Hogan's TV ads said about people wanting to leave Maryland.

alzoom85

Feb 27, 2013
    So the next time I am at the local gun shop can I ask the officer walking around to file a police report for civil right violations?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    How'd you get by at $200? We paid $60 for finger prints, $50 for MSP application, and I think the class was $135. And make that times 2 when we add in the wife too. We did not have this garbage when we moved here 20 years ago... So we are looking to move West... just like Larry Hogan's TV ads said about people wanting to leave Maryland.

The class isn't necessary if you meet one of the state's exemptions, like being LEO or Mil, or already owning a regulated firearm.

Even then, my new Glock essentially cost $125 more than it needed to between the state fee and fingerprints, not to mention the wait to get the card plus the wait for background check to come back.

Ridiculous, inefficient, expensive, burdensome, and obstructionary is all the HQL is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom