• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Just send Hogan some letters with financial suggestions on how to reduce Maryland's budget deficit.

1. Stop funding the fired case process and save the people 3 million a year.

2. Direct the Supt of MDSP that self protection is a valid G&S reason for issuing CCW licenses and start raking in the dough like Florida. A side benefit would be that he can take credit for reducing crime since that will go down as CCW holder's increase.

I did.

Regards,

John

I thought the fired casing funding was eliminted years ago. Aren't the casings just being stored in 55 gal. drums?

Are there any other budget cutting strategies to restoring 2A rights in MD?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I thought the fired casing funding was eliminted years ago. Aren't the casings just being stored in 55 gal. drums?

That is one of them.

The MSP is selling the brass :D

krucam

Ultimate Member

1. Eliminate the 77R process, thereby reducing the MSP staffing dedicated to it. Follow the process (NICS Only) that many, many states have. My M&P Shield was cash/carry here in TX. I've only harmed pieces of paper with it...

2. Aren't sales of AR's/AK's hugely behind previous year's numbers?? Calculate the lost Sales Tax for the lost Revenues...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    1. Eliminate the 77R process, thereby reducing the MSP staffing dedicated to it. Follow the process (NICS Only) that many, many states have. My M&P Shield was cash/carry here in TX. I've only harmed pieces of paper with it...

2. Aren't sales of AR's/AK's hugely behind previous year's numbers?? Calculate the lost Sales Tax for the lost Revenues...

They don't care about revenues from firearms.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Two words---strategic horizon

That's not Friday at lunch or even COB. It ain't next month and probably isn't next year. A major aspect of any good plan is time and executability. That requires someone who is operating with their head and not so much their heart. Emotion has no place in planning. While occasionally good for ops (rarely), it fouls and complicates any good plan.

Think about winning the war and quit insisting the battle is going to be lost. Phyrric victories are short lived by their nature. Tactics without strategy are a map to fail.

Patience and perspective have the potential to bring you the desired result. "Let's walk down into the field and have a go at all of them cows..."

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Exactly ...

Two words---strategic horizon

That's not Friday at lunch or even COB. It ain't next month and probably isn't next year. A major aspect of any good plan is time and executability. That requires someone who is operating with their head and not so much their heart. Emotion has no place in planning. While occasionally good for ops (rarely), it fouls and complicates any good plan.

Think about winning the war and quit insisting the battle is going to be lost. Phyrric victories are short lived by their nature. Tactics without strategy are a map to fail.

Patience and perspective have the potential to bring you the desired result. "Let's walk down into the field and have a go at all of them cows..."

We didn't get in this predicament overnight. Start thinking like a PRofMD 'progressive' DemocRAT.

Play the numbers game with the legislature. Gain an ally in Comptroller Franchot, so you can have him suggest 'budget cutting measures' that are also 2A friendly. Identify and electorialy weed out more of the bad actors in 2016. Minimize Frosh's ability to 'lawyer up' as the new AG. Then, drop the bomb right after a Nov, 2016 rout.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I also believe in letting the dust settle and allowing Hogan to develop a positive (read: reelectable) rapport with D's in the GA and population at large. Budget reduction (perhaps with a bonus tax reduction) would be key for that.

However, get verifiable numbers ready for use (revenue increase, budget decrease) along the 2A vein. Have it polished up nicely in a year or so.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Talk of Hogan's reelection is way to early.

He has a lot of toes to step on to balance the budget. Possibly some arms will be broken, because they will be twisted really hard.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)

Not only does the MD government not care about sales tax collected from firearms sales, they don't care about the income taxes/sales tax/payroll taxes generated by the gun manufacturing industry in Maryland. If they did care, they would do whatever is necessary to keep Beretta in MD.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

Yeah Yeah we've had dozens of little victories over the years. All those bills written restoring our rights. All the court cases won. Yeah Yeah. :lol2:

Phfft. There is no stragegy.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Go big or go home.

Ehrlich played nice with the Dems, raised a bunch of "fees" and they still turned on him with a vengeance and he was a one term wonder. Hogan can play nice and develop all the rapport he wants and come election time in four years he will still be the devil incarnate.

Didn't see any "incrementalism" in SB281, just one large clump of shart shoved down our throats.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Didn't see any "incrementalism" in SB281, just one large clump of shart shoved down our throats.

I see it as a last gasp of a dying ideology that's been proven to be intellectually, morally, and logically bankrupt.

They're losing this war on all fronts. They're losing in the legislatures - from a national perspective (look at the evolution of shall-issue over time), they're losing in the courts (again, largely, with some back and forth but marching toward our final victory in the big picture analysis), and they're losing in the public (sentiment swinging hard and fast to our side, especially when it's shown that the government either can't or won't protect them).

Keep fighting, keep winning, and let's drive this thing home.

Code:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They're losing this war on all fronts. They're losing in the legislatures - from a national perspective (look at the evolution of shall-issue over time), they're losing in the courts (again, largely, with some back and forth but marching toward our final victory in the big picture analysis), and they're losing in the public (sentiment swinging hard and fast to our side, especially when it's shown that the government either can't or won't protect them).

Agreed. Working heavily in our favor is that gun ownership is growing fastest among young people (20's), especially young women. It's probably blowback from years of having anti-gun propaganda stuffed down their throat during school years. A form of forbidden fruit syndrome. In coming years, it won't surprise me if the anti-2A crowd becomes more and more alienated and widely viewed as lunatic fringe.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I see it as a last gasp of a dying ideology that's been proven to be intellectually, morally, and logically bankrupt.

Keep fighting, keep winning, and let's drive this thing home.

Code:

Thank you. Outside of MD, antis are being hit hard. Their only successes have been with liberal judges and a few select districts in CA. The pro-gun movement across the US is in plain view.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah Yeah we've had dozens of little victories over the years. All those bills written restoring our rights. All the court cases won. Yeah Yeah. :lol2:

I never said there was a strategy. I did say what was needed was a strategic approach.

Part of strategy (among other things) is selecting a cohesive/collaborative team and unity of command. While those may exist, that's not apparent to this casual observer.

I see lots of emotion, frustration, distrust and angst. Those are not what I'd want on my team or in my strategy. Those are not energy well spent.

The old adage about either being part of the solution OR part of the problem.

Y'all are in a crappy position. I get it. I do not envy you. I voted with my feet. I am not making light of your situation. I am suggesting that a structured and coordinated approach will be better in the long run...make no mistake, this is a long run. Hasty pudding isn't the right answer.

Your opponents are depending on your emotion and lack of concurrence/collaboration as to the way forward. Your independence and strong feelings are easily turned against you. Like it or not, that's just the way these things work. Planning, organization and discipline are what will win this or lose this. It's not about how hard you work or how much you care...trust me. Those are feel good things...important in their own right but they must be bent into a larger strategy.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We didn't get in this predicament overnight. Start thinking like a PRofMD 'progressive' DemocRAT.

Play the numbers game with the legislature. Gain an ally in Comptroller Franchot, so you can have him suggest 'budget cutting measures' that are also 2A friendly. Identify and electorialy weed out more of the bad actors in 2016. Minimize Frosh's ability to 'lawyer up' as the new AG. Then, drop the bomb right after a Nov, 2016 rout.

This is the smart thinking we've been talking about the past few years. Build it up, a little at a time.

I also believe in letting the dust settle and allowing Hogan to develop a positive (read: reelectable) rapport with D's in the GA and population at large. Budget reduction (perhaps with a bonus tax reduction) would be key for that.

However, get verifiable numbers ready for use (revenue increase, budget decrease) along the 2A vein. Have it polished up nicely in a year or so.

This is the tightrope that needs to be crossed, and tread lightly... but it is key.

Which only proves that you are A) defeatist, B) unaware, C) uninvolved, and/or D) all of the above.

No stool can stand on 2 legs. It just happens this one has dozens of legs that are firmly bolted down. But, each one we take out, the less stable it becomes.

I refuse to believe we aren't making progress, and know we need to look at it as a long-term project. This will not be solved just because of one election cycle, or because of one law, or even a single victory in court. It needs to be a concerted, consolidated effort across the board.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

PS

You sir, get it. You absolutely have the correct perspective. But then you don't need me to tell you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom