Any IPs have a handle on the "purchase order" requirement pre 10/1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm wondering if any IPs have a policy in place yet regarding how they are going to handle the SB281 language about "purchase orders?" Will a purchase order have to be paid in full before 10/1, or would a deposit/layaway arrangement constitute a purchase order? Like most folks, I've been rounding out my collection in preparation for 10/1. I'd really like a Steyr AUG, but the fun money fund is tight. If I could put a deposit down on one I'd be interested.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Nope, not exempt. It would have to be an official agency purchase. Police officers are just as screwed as everyone else except for the training requirement to purchase a handgun. I disagree with this exemption that has been carved out for us since the rules should be the same for everybody, but I didn't write the law.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Generally, we have a policy of 50% down for special orders, but we will work out purchase order deposit prices on a case by case basis. PM me and we will work something out.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I do believe it was stated at one of the meetings that a layaway does not apply and it has to be an order for something not in the shop.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I do believe it was stated at one of the meetings that a layaway does not apply and it has to be an order for something not in the shop.

The reason for the layaway not working is because the buyer can already start the paperwork with the MSP since the firearm is at the shop.

Another pre-requisite was that there was some sort of deposit.

Mind you, this is all coming from MSP and the Courts might very well disagree. Thing is, if this ever gets to the Courts it will be quite a while down the road before we know what Verifiable Purchase Order really means and it will be moot for our purpose at that point.

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Nope, not exempt. It would have to be an official agency purchase. Police officers are just as screwed as everyone else except for the training requirement to purchase a handgun. I disagree with this exemption that has been carved out for us since the rules should be the same for everybody, but I didn't write the law.

:patriot: and :mdpatriot

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    How is MSP going to prove that it is in the shop?

Doesn't an FFL have to record in a "book" when he receives a firearm, and again when it leaves the shop?

I think that would be a pretty easy way to prove when the firearm is in the shop. Maybe I am wrong about the entire "book" thing though.

The record keeping is a little more involved than selling sugar, flour, spices, etc.

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Doesn't an FFL have to record in a "book" when he receives a firearm, and again when it leaves the shop?

I think that would be a pretty easy way to prove when the firearm is in the shop. Maybe I am wrong about the entire "book" thing though.

The record keeping is a little more involved than selling sugar, flour, spices, etc.

Yes. Is it possible to figure out. But I meant logistically speaking. They can't even handle current applications how are they going to figure out if you have a "sales order" or "layaway."

For that matter, how is it fair that you can have a sales order for a non-existent firearm but a dealer cannot sell something that they had in stock prior to 1 October?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes. Is it possible to figure out. But I meant logistically speaking. They can't even handle current applications how are they going to figure out if you have a "sales order" or "layaway."

For that matter, how is it fair that you can have a sales order for a non-existent firearm but a dealer cannot sell something that they had in stock prior to 1 October?

MSP position on the layaway is that the Form 77r can be started prior to October 1, 2013 since the firearm is in the shop. So, no need to apply the PO exemption to the layaway since it will fall into the Form 77r filed on or before October 1, 2013 exemption.

What MSP will rely on is that most dealers will not want to take the risk of getting caught, so they will not do it. That usually works for most people. If you make the chance of getting caught slight and the penalties slight, people will do the risk/reward analysis and break the law. In this case, the penalties are somewhat steep.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If a fiream is in an FFL's possession, it better be in his bound book or he's in big trouble with BATFE. Same for when it leaves his possession.

I am not an FFL and IANAL.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If a fiream is in an FFL's possession, it better be in his bound book or he's in big trouble with BATFE. Same for when it leaves his possession.

I am not an FFL and IANAL.

I mean there are ways around this that would be considered illegal. Its all in how you write description it is not like the PO would need the serial number on the firearm that may not even be built yet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not really. If they examine your firearm and get the serial number, then match it to the bound book, it will be obvious the gun was in the FFL possession before Oct.1. I doubt FFL's will take a chance on getting in a legal quagmire over a single purchase. If the gun isn't biuuilt yet, that's a different story.

But I am neither an FFL or an attorney. trying to sneak past statutes doesn't seem worth it IMO.

I'm betting at some point someone will have to give a definition of a PO and what needs to be on it to make MSP happy.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    What about a layaway from an out of state FFL? That way, it's not in the possession of a local FFL or "in the shop".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom