• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So my 10'x14' shed is slowly sinking in the gravel-over-clay area where I set it 5 years ago. I'm going to be setting piers for it once the ground dries out and then I'm going to contract out a move. It will need to be moved about 15' to the right of where it is now. It will be empty and the ground is solid enough for a truck but will need wood laid down (supplied by me) for a forklift. Piers will probably average about 6" of elevation. A line straight up from the front of the shed is about 3 feet from overhead power lines so lift height is also something to consider. Lower is better. Limited access behind the location also unless you have an off road fork truck.

The place where I originally purchased it is quoting me $525 for the move which seems reasonable but I'd prefer to give the business to a member here if anyone has the equipment and wants to do it. Location is Halethorpe, just south of Baltimore city. With my work schedule and the current weather I expect a move the third week of June or the second week of July.

If you do concrete work and want to quote the piers as well please do so. If it's reasonable I could use the time for other things.

PM if interested.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
      shed.jpg
      138.7 KB · Views: 461

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    that can be moved rolling on pvc+ jack. just something to think about. too busy myself rite now. i have moved several in the past

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Yeah I've got an old cast iron mechanical railroad jack that can lift it corner-by-corner pretty easily. It's what I've been using to shim up the corner that is sinking fastest. Once I get the piers in place I could lift it onto some large PVC pipe but for the cost of 3 or 4 10" pipes and the labor/danger of doing the move myself I'd like the option of hydraulic industrial progress ;)

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    yea 6" not 6'. I think i would move where i want jack up 1' temp block in place then do piers lower when ready

The clay has gotten so soft around here. My neighbors think there might be an underground river that is juicing things up. I want to go pretty deep with the corner piers (at least 3 feet) so I'll be renting a trailer rig to do the digging. 10" corners and 8" center holes. Can't really do that if the shed is already in place unless there is something I'm missing.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I'd love to do a pad for the entire thing. That would allow me to extend it to have a place to park for oil changes but I can't get a permit for it. Too close to the power lines apparently. Footings are no problem though. Go figure.

I'm using the terms footings and piers interchangeably. Not sure if that's correct. What I am doing is digging 8" and 10" holes and pouring concrete using round forms.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd do a roll back vs. a forklift, a lot less chance of it sinking.

Personally I'd just do your piers, tie them together with a 2x8 pressure treated frame and skate the building up onto the frame on ramps. A tow truck or even a loader tractor would move it pretty easily.

Ton of options if you have the room around it.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    After getting that price tag I've started looking a little deeper. Rather than big PVC pipes I think I might be able to jack the shed straight up and build a level wood surface from it's current position over to the new one and use smaller pipes. Then I could use a cable come-along to pull it into place. Due to trees I don't have space for a truck to get in and winch it from the side but I could run an anchor point in and pull it from that. One of my neighbors has a Jeep that might be able to shimmy into the space too. Once the ground dries and I get the piers set I'll noodle on it some more. If anyone decides to offer services I'm still open to it.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Just my 2€nets. find someone with a bobcat with a auger bit. Drill your new piers drop sono-tubes in the holes,pour them then use the bobcat to set the shed in its new location. If they have forks for the bobcat it will work fine not to mention the skid steer will be much better in the yard. Forklifts don't do well in grass and soft ground.Good luck with your project.:thumbsup:

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Home Depot And theyare tailor made for exactly what you are doing. They are made of cardboard and come in different dimensions and lengths.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    so now that i have had a few beers,why not get some 10' 6x6 (3 or 4 @$30ea) to set shed on? either new or current location.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I have a one man auger with a 6 inch bit if you are digging by hand will make your life easier :) . Not sure if you need to use soon tubes the hole you dig can be your form then on top use a 2X4 or 2X6 to make it level to the other holes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom