• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    I just inherited the gun below without any knowledge of the weapon. My grandfather wasn't very helpful either.
    I think I narrowed it down to an Enfield. Does that sound right? Can anyone provide me more info on this or where I can find it?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yup its an enfield that someone has cut the wood on. What vintage, type, etc is hard to tell from the photos. The markings look earlyish.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Its a bubba'd (sporterised) Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII* made in 1917 by Birmingham Small Arms (BSA). It is also known as a "SMLE" for Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield. In its original form it would have looked a lot like this:
    mkIII.gif

It was imported into the U.S.A. before the GCA of 1968 was enacted because of the "ENGLAND" import stamp.

Caliber is probably .303 British, but I'd check anyway as many sporters were converted to other calibers.

I'd check for matching serial numbers, particularly on the bolt & receiver & have a smith do a headspace check, especially if the bolt & receiver's numbers are different.

HUGE amounts of info on the version here: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Rifle_Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom