• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • disston

Nov 5, 2009
    Silver Spring
    I have bought at least 2 guns from the Sil Spr store. I got good deals on both. One was an H&K USP Tactical I bought on Sale Day. A nice thing that Atlantic does is have a Sale Day once a year and most if not everthing is discounted. I try to make it every year bout didn't go this year because I'm currently in the poor house. I also got a good deal on a Browning HiPower from them. I don't mention the prices exactly because then somebody would say it wasn't such a good deal. I'm going to get the FFL (3) someday and buy on the web but I don't think I will stop buying from the stores even then. I want to support local bussiness and besides when I walk in and handle anything, why then I just have to buy it. LOL

I like their store and they don't have to palsey walsey me just because I go in there once every couple of months. Chris is the best but the other guys there also know their guns. You just have to ask the right questions.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been a customer for a long time. Never had a problem.

I bought a flaslight from them. The battery sprung a leak and corroded the backplate. They wrote the mfr to get a replacement; when it failed to materialise in a reasonable time, they just gave me a new unit.

Also have rec'd a few really good deals from them over the years. An example: they had a nearly new (unfired except for factory test) Interarms TPH in .25 cal; they supposedly got it from an Interarms VP. Serial number 00006. I suspect fit and finish were paid careful attention to, as it was a presentation to an exec. They sold it to me for 300 if memory serves. I asked them "why so cheap?". "Well. as far as we're concerned, it's just a used pistol".

Nemesis11c

Apr 27, 2009
    Rockville
    1. The average median household salary for the DC Metro area does not represent the rest of America.
    2. The average median price of a single family home is around 229K.
    3. Unemployment is officially 10.2% which means that the unofficial number can be as high as 17-18%.
    4. If you bought a 460K house without bringing any equity from a previous house you have a monthly payment around $2,500-$3,500. You factor in kids, private school, car payments, outstanding credit card bills, utilities, your gun buying habits, saving for retirement it can be difficult.

If you are not in this situation and can afford a half million dollar house then good for you.

I agree...its sinfully expensive to live here, and things have kept skyrocketing. Parents bought this house a decade ago for precisely $160k, and its now worth 3.5x that....and we're in TWINBROOK of all places...the last place you'd expect any property value to increase....at least that's what the rest of Rockville would have us think :P

May 25, 2009
    Went to the Silver Spring store today to fill out paper work on a Ruger P95. Spoke to Dan, I think. Helped explain the process, since this is my first handgun and I'm unfamiliar with how things work. It was on sale, so the price wasn't outrageous(380 after tax and fee, 350 before). Especially considering the location. Their rent has to be through the roof.

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    Yeah you are right if you get an ARM or interest only loan back in 2005.

Let's get real, a majority of American families in the US can NOT afford a 460K house. The average median income in the US between 2006-2007 was 50K http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/012528.html . Tell me how 50K a year can buy a 460K house with a 30 year mortgage?

There is always a case where this does not apply but for a majority of the cases this does apply. That is the point that we are trying to make.

Might be true, but not in all cases....

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    Yeah you are right if you get an ARM or interest only loan back in 2005.

Let's get real, a majority of American families in the US can NOT afford a 460K house. The average median income in the US between 2006-2007 was 50K http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/012528.html . Tell me how 50K a year can buy a 460K house with a 30 year mortgage?

There is always a case where this does not apply but for a majority of the cases this does apply. That is the point that we are trying to make.

50k can't..... This is why I work Union :D

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    Out of curiosity what do you mean when you say "This is why I work Union".

Well...A Plumber working for a Non-Union shop ballparks at $20 to $25 an hour....Our scale right now is just under $36 with Full medical and retirement paid for by the contractor.

Some with skills such as 3D Coordination or Estimating can pull up to $12 an hour more than Scale.

That's why I work Union.

I work to Live, I don't have to Live to work....

And we take applications for Apprentices all the time...School is free to those accepted. PM me if you want more info ;)

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I'm not usually one to speak bad of others, but was just in the store and they want $825 for a saiga 12, that's $200 more than GC. Needless to say I'm driving to GC tomorrow! I'm all for supporting the local shop, but its crazy not to drive an hour to save that much money

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You're not going to get what it's worth when offering a used gun to a store, period. They figure you need the money right now and can take advantage of your desperation to lowball you. It's nothing personal, just business.

I was offered $400 for a nearly flawless USP by a shop very popular with MDShooters members, but I did not take it personally. Walked on that deal and eventually traded straight up for a Colt Commander in very good shape a few months down the road.

Try getting what your car is worth at a car dealer, especially when not trading it in on a new vehicle. ;)

Atlantic (I've only been to Rockville) is a decent shop, and I've bought four guns from them. Prices were fair and service was ok. They don't go out of their way to help you out, but I can't remember a time where I've been in there and the ratio of customers to sales people was less than 1:1. On any busy day there can be 15 people in the shop with 4-5 guys working the counter. You're gonna wait, and you should have at least some idea of what you need. Accessories, especially magazines tend to be pricey - but for the convenience of having a shop in Rockville you can't complain if you need something then and there.

That being said, one of the guys spent about 45 minutes with me once helping me pick out my first handgun. Granted it was early on a weekday, but he didn't act like the phone was more important.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I just picked up a Kimber TLE II I had on order for 6 months. They were very patient showing me how to field strip the pistol. Their prices ain't great, but I have purchased 2 Glocks a Kimber and an 870 there.It's convenient if nothing else.

If you live in MoCo, there aren't many alternatives except Engage and the shop in Burtonsville. I don't feel like I got ripped off, but I know I didn't get a great deal either. I got what I wanted from them. When I wanted a G30, they had one in stock. Took it home a week later.

I'm OK with that. It is MoCo, probably the gun unfriendliest county in Marylandistan

TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I purchased a gun from the Rockville store. Definitly overpayed for it but that was my fault for being impulsive and not shopping around. Prices are high but the overall service was good. More than likely won't purchase there again due to their high prices (unless they have a particular gun no one else has).

EarthLover

Aug 10, 2009
    Bought my M&P 9 from the Rockville store and a crimson trace
    for a bit of a premium but when compared to extended travel or online formalities it was worth it. The S&W was also 10% off during sept 09 monthly specials.
    I like John Fast and Amado both knowledgeable and will help you if you ask.
    They even I install on the spot for most purchases. I upgraded a trigger to the RRA NM 2 stage trigge and Amado did it right on the counter in a matter of minutes. I would but again from here. Btw I have purchased for Dan as well. I got my AR
    From him.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Overhead costs are pretty oppressive for brick and mortar stores.
    profits have to pay the rent, utilities and salaries. I'm grateful we have a few places where knowledgeable, informed folks can be found. Imagine looking for answers from the kid working the gun counter at WallyWorld.

While I was told that Atlantic's gunsmith had a six-month backlog, they replaced a recoil buffer in my old P9S while I waited. No charge.

It's the little things like that that count. When they're gone, driven into retirement because of online sales, see if you can get your computer to do a bit of free gunsmithing. Or try the kid at Wallyworld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom