In an emergency, how quickly can you have a loaded firearm in your hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How fast?

• 10 seconds or less

Votes: 140 42.7%
    • 30 seconds or less

Votes: 115 35.1%
    • 1 minute or less

Votes: 48 14.6%
    • 5 minutes or less

Votes: 10 3.0%
    • more than 5 minutes

Votes: 1 0.3%
    • I'm screwed.

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    The gun appears to be a Glock 19, generation 4, stock (nothing added or changed), loaded (looking at the extractor, appears to be loaded).

Better? :)

I was asking why no holster. I guess it's just me, I wouldn't put a "bare" gun on a hard table. I didn't understand how your indentifying the firearm related to that.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Ummm, let's see. Never much farther away.
    6fb11eee9fe31306bff11c11bf85bd5d.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

No holster for that bad boy?

Yep, Alien Gear. I take it out when I'm sitting in my recliner. When I get up, it goes with me. It's one of the Glocks I won last year in the Glock A Day raffle. After all the Glock praise on this forum, I decided to at least give this gun a fair chance to win me over. Nope, Nada, no way. This thing is still an ugly POS. The only positive thing I can say is it is light and easy to carry and conceal. I'm trying hard but still don't feel the love.

G19, gen4. stock. loaded.

Close. G 26, Gen 4, stock. No sense putting lipstick on a pig. :)

The gun appears to be a Glock 19, generation 4, stock (nothing added or changed), loaded (looking at the extractor, appears to be loaded).

Very observant. What good is an unloaded firearm?

I was asking why no holster. I guess it's just me, I wouldn't put a "bare" gun on a hard table. I didn't understand how your indentifying the firearm related to that.

It's a wooden table. Wood is softer then metal and plastic. It gets beat around more in my waistband when I'm working than it does laying on a table.

I see.

My guns are just tools, I don't worry about them getting a little banged up; wouldn't throw a gun in a pile of rocks, but on a bench/table, gun bag, no problem.

Yep. I don't lose sleep if a rub or scratch appears on a gun. They're just tools. Use them and keep them in good operating condition.

Attachments

• Alien Gear Holster.jpg
      Alien Gear Holster.jpg
      5.9 KB · Views: 288

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I have two Glocks. My "love" for them is that they are reliable and you can't kill them. I agree, yes they are ugly. I know guns are tools, but I'm totally anal about anything mechanical I own. I get on my own nerves sometimes being that way.:)

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If I'm in my house, almost always less than 10 seconds for a good set of choices. Outside the home? I'll be relying on my keyring or backpack knives. So still less than 10 seconds, but far less effective.

Mr H

Banana'd
    If I'm in my house, almost always less than 10 seconds for a good set of choices. Outside the home? I'll be relying on my keyring or backpack knives. So still less than 10 seconds, but far less effective.

Outside the house (other than the usual pocket litter), the only thing you can legally carry across the whole state is pepper/mace.

Stun/taser devices are legal across most jurisdictions, but if you're living in (or crossing into) Baltimore City & county, Howard, Annapolis or Ocean City (there may be one other I'm blanking on), you're running a risk.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Outside the house (other than the usual pocket litter), the only thing you can legally carry across the whole state is pepper/mace.

Stun/taser devices are legal across most jurisdictions, but if you're living in (or crossing into) Baltimore City & county, Howard, Annapolis or Ocean City (there may be one other I'm blanking on), you're running a risk.

True. I wonder if Harford county ever got their law fixed, like we did here in AA county?

I think with very little training, a cane (which is totally legal everywhere, including on an airplane) is probably your next best option.

For anyone just reading this thread for the first time, this is not a 'about how long would you guess' it would take to have a gun in your hands and ready to use, this is an actual test. Don't talk about it, unless you actually make like Nike and 'Do it'. :)

Safety first!

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Just timed myself from downstairs bathroom. 14.7 seconds. Is that good? I don't know. A lot can happen in 14 seconds.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

I don't believe this is true. As far as I know, open carry of manual-open or fixed blade knives below a certain length are legal in MD.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    How long? Between the time it takes to draw and 5sec. I do carry in my home, and if it's not actually holstered on me it's never much more than a reach away...a note: I do sometimes use a retention holster (thumb drive) and if I simply take the holster off and set it on the table or counter I disengage the retention mechanism so that if I have to grab it then its only a 1 handed affair...

For those who may have children and are concerned about them accessing: when my kids were younger and unpredictable, the only weapon in the house that was loaded and chambered was the one on my hip...and if its on my hip then they can't access it so that was a perfectly fine compromise for me

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    What part is not true?

You (correctly) added a category which I don't normally factor in, as I'm not a sheath-knife guy. But my 'pocket litter' includes at least one folding knife.

You stated that I couldn't carry a knife in public. That isn't true. Assisted opening blades are illegal but most others are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom