Difference between 3 and 4 piece die sets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thanks all. I ordered the 4 die set for.38/357 mag. So if I decide to do 9mm I will need another 4 die set?

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've used the Lee 3 die sets for pistol and lever gun in 357mag 44mag 45lc and 45 acp for the last 14 yrs. with no problems EVER. For the 45-70 lever gun I bought the extra Lee factory crimp die though. It does an excellent job and cost under $12. IMO when shooting a big lever gun with heavy loads it's worth it for the added peace of mind.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    3 dies sets ROLL crimp, if set to crimp.

Works fine for rimmed cases.

Rimless cases head space on the case mouth, roll crimping changes the case length and is NOT proper for rimless cases.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The four die set is still sitting and waiting for powder, primers, and bullets ordered from Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago. Still no shipment....Looking forward to trying my hand at this.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    3 dies sets ROLL crimp, if set to crimp.

Works fine for rimmed cases.

Rimless cases head space on the case mouth, roll crimping changes the case length and is NOT proper for rimless cases.

For my 45 ACP loads I use a light crimp and while they may not be considered proper my 1911 and Blackhawk convertible eat them like a kid at a candy store

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Finally got everything I need. (I hope) Now to figure out how to do this. I can't seem to find any load data sheets that have the exact bullets and brand of powder that I bought. I bought 125 grain bullets .38 cal (Berry's) and Bullseye powder. I also got CCI small pistol primers. Is there a chart somewhere that shows how much powder to load? As long as it is a 125 grain bullet does it matter what brand it is? Can I use these same bullets in a .357 case? Actually too many questions to ask here. I've read 4 different manuals about reloading but still not completely sure about everything I need to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Finally got everything I need. (I hope) Now to figure out how to do this. I can't seem to find any load data sheets that have the exact bullets and brand of powder that I bought. I bought 125 grain bullets .38 cal (Berry's) and Bullseye powder. I also got CCI small pistol primers. Is there a chart somewhere that shows how much powder to load? As long as it is a 125 grain bullet does it matter what brand it is? Can I use these same bullets in a .357 case? Actually too many questions to ask here. I've read 4 different manuals about reloading but still not completely sure about everything I need to do.
    First, I would contact Berry's for load data. If they won't give it to you, use cast load data for Berry's plated bullets. Lyman 49th would be sufficient to use as a resource.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

By your posts I assume you are loading 38spl cases with your Berry's .38 cal 125 gr plated bullets. But I haven't read what firearm you intend to shoot them in. That's an important piece of reloading.

Yes, you could load and shoot the same Berry's bullet in a .357 mag load. But only in a firearm designed to shoot .357 mag cartridges.

Generally, plated bullets are loaded to similar specs as CB's (Cast Bullets) of similar weights, styles and diameters. A "watch out" on plated bullets is that too much crimp could cut into the plating. When the round is fired. Any sheared plating could be left in the barrel = not good.

You cannot push plated bullets at the same velocities as JB's (Jacketed Bullets). They are different bullets!

Personally I've loaded and fired thousands of Berry's bullets in many different calibers. When loaded like CB's they perform nicely.

First, I would contact Berry's for load data. If they won't give it to you, use cast load data for Berry's plated bullets. Lyman 49th would be sufficient to use as a resource.

Yes, Berry's may be able to provide load data. In the absence of that, DA is correct. Use published CB load data!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    By your posts I assume you are loading 38spl cases with your Berry's .38 cal 125 gr plated bullets. But I haven't read what firearm you intend to shoot them in. That's an important piece of reloading.

Yes, you could load and shoot the same Berry's bullet in a .357 mag load. But only in a firearm designed to shoot .357 mag cartridges.

Generally, plated bullets are loaded to similar specs as CB's (Cast Bullets) of similar weights, styles and diameters. A "watch out" on plated bullets is that too much crimp could cut into the plating. When the round is fired. Any sheared plating could be left in the barrel = not good.

You cannot push plated bullets at the same velocities as JB's (Jacketed Bullets). They are different bullets!

Personally I've loaded and fired thousands of Berry's bullets in many different calibers. When loaded like CB's they perform nicely.

Yes, Berry's may be able to provide load data. In the absence of that, DA is correct. Use published CB load data!
    How do plated bullets do in polyoganal (sp?) barrels in a Glock or HK? Good to go or not?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    How do plated bullets do in polyoganal (sp?) barrels in a Glock or HK? Good to go or not?

I can't give first hand experience on other firearms, but my CZ-82 with polygonal rifling shoots Berry's plated bullets beautifully. Then again, I don't feed it my CB's.

:shrug:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Berry' s web site states that they don't have load data sheets yet and to use the same data as for hard cast bullets.

I'm not having much luck with this reloading process. I tried to reload one but the primer looks like it didn't seat right and the bullet also didn't seat right. I'm also wondering about the amount of powder. Doesn't seem like much powder for the size of the cartridge. I'm not having fun yet....

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Berry' s web site states that they don't have load data sheets yet and to use the same data as for hard cast bullets.

I'm not having much luck with this reloading process. I tried to reload one but the primer looks like it didn't seat right and the bullet also didn't seat right. I'm also wondering about the amount of powder. Doesn't seem like much powder for the size of the cartridge. I'm not having fun yet....
    Give it time. It is easier, when you are using FMJBT, FMJ, HP, etc... and getting the load days from the manufacturer of the bullet.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Have you noticed any kind of issues in the bore from the plated bullets?

Never had an issue in any plated bullet I've loaded in both pistol and rifle calibers. Some are more accurate than others, but if i treat them like CB's going in, they shoot just fine.

Sounds to me like you need to go back to the basics of reloading and learn some more and/or find a mentor. There are only four basic steps in reloading a case:
    1. Process the case: i.e. Clean, de-cap, resize, trim and/or flare the case as needed.
    2. Prime the case - with the correct primer
    3. Charge case - with the correct powder load
    4. Seat the projectile and crimp as necessary

You say: "Doesn't seem like much powder for the size of the cartridge.". Sometimes that's true. If I put 7.2 grains of Green Dot powder in a 45LC case to push a 255 gr CB downrange in a revolver that's only a smidgen of propellant compared to the capacity of the case. But, 45LC was originally designed as a black powder cartridge. Smokeless powder is much different.

Learn how FIRST!. ALWAYS leave any reloading mistakes on your bench!

:thumbsup:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I'm not having much luck with this reloading process. I tried to reload one but the primer looks like it didn't seat right and the bullet also didn't seat right."

There may be debris in the primer cup, primer was flat in the primer cup or the primer pocket maybe to sharp shouldered. The bullet may be improperly seated because the case mouth is grabbing it during the seating process. My experience has been plated and lead bullets need more flare than true jacketed bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom