• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    OK, I sold a pistol and did the transfer paperwork at MSP Belair Barracks on 9/5

Transferred the pistol to it's new owner today 9/14

Herein lies the Rub, when we went to MSP barracks, I was directed by the Trooper to hold on to all the forms and the $10 check and to mail it all to MSP Licensing after the transfer was completed and forms signed. well I just went to look up the adadress for MSP Licensing, and saw on their website that they no longer accept forms by mail post Oct. 2013.

So my question to you is, what do I do with these forms and the guys $10 check????

:sad20:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I'm confused - you said "all" the forms? What did they process? Usually you get the "not disproved" stamped form back that the MSP takes when you initiate the transfer after a week or so, make the transfer, and mail in that form after delivery. I've never sent any money with that one.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    I have all the white copies of 77r-1, 2, & 3 as well as a photocopy of our drivers licenses and his HQL

It appears that he (trooper) took the Blue copy of the one part of the 77r. I also have the Transferror copies. The buyer now has the Transferee copies

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I had the paperwork sent back from the MSP 1 time because the trooper didn't collect a check before he faxed it in. You never sent the check in & they completed the transaction?
    Strange.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I had the paperwork sent back to me one time 3.5 months after I had already transferred the gun. Good thing he wasn't a wanted felon I guess.....

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Call the barracks and ask them about it. Maybe you'll get a different trooper.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    these are wonderful anecdotes really, but they're doing nothing to answer my questions

The times I have done this (both at the Bel Air Barracks) they collected the $10 right on the spot. Sounds like they screwed up.
    If they held onto ALL the forms it seems like no background check was done.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    these are wonderful anecdotes really, but they're doing nothing to answer my questions

To me, this essentially means you shouldn't need to be a friggin law student to make this transfer. They are supposed to know how to do their jobs as the barracks. I'd say you're good to go, no one took your check (at an MSP owned/operated facility), now you are confused on where the paperwork and payment should be going.

GTG in my opinion, I'd assume the transfer is now complete.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The Trooper was wrong according to MSP website. Contact the licensing division and ask that they contact the Barracks commander to inform them of the correct process and then return to the Barracks or Just ask to speak to the supervisor and try it that way.

WARNING ANECDOTE: Somthing similar, sort of, happen at Jessup Barracks not long ago. They took the check, faxed the forms and then told me I had to mail ALL the forms to Pikesville, to be processed and the completed copies would be sent back to me. Knowing they took the check and told me they faxed the forms (all the right process) I ignored the mailing directive and had a NOT DISAPPROVED in my mail box on day 7. Then transferred the gun to the buyer after was all signed and distributed copies. Then, and only then, did I mail the completed and signed forms to Pikesville.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I transferred a handgun to my son in September of 2013.
    Still waiting for the paperwork to come back!

I did the same thing with my wife and have the same result. We did our transfer at Bel Air n had no problems. The troopers were helpful n seemed to know what they were doing. It's almost 2 yrs now n still now paperwork back.
    OP I know this doesnt answer ur question but that was our experience. There was no money involved cuz it was a gift transfer to a family member.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    I was doing a transfer at the JFK Barracks selling 2 guns to a friend, the trooper handed me 2 complete packets of forms, I had to explain to him that that was incorrect, and describe the third form, the one that you just list the additional firearms on. He had no idea that another form existed.

O P, I think the trooper made an error, the buyer should have received the pink copies, and I believe you should have received the yellow/orangish copies, he should have kept the rest and the check. Eventually you should have received the forms the trooper kept in the mail, signed everything for the transfer, then sent them back. It's been a while since I have done a transfer, but I think that is how it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom