• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Plus, near the end of the story the reporter's voiceover says that "unlike the Federal system" Maryland's system was never effective because the equipment didn't work. What Federal system? Some bad reporting there.

Well, the feds dont have an archive, but they are pretty good at matching casings to other casings in their database. The way to get here was bumpier than Freddie Grays ride in the paddy-wagon. ATF and FBI developed their own proprietary systems that couldn't talk to each other. Some state crime-labs had the FBI machine to upload data into the system, some used the ATF format. Neither was initially able to retrieve data from the other.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    this article definitely made it seem that there are 10s of thousands of crimes just waiting to be solved by these shell casings... if only that machine worked....

yes because the 300 murders a year by guns in baltimore would all be solved if that magically machine just worked....

the writer, and editor of the article are either stupid or ignorant...

And criminals bought new guns, registered them and never sold or lost them in a boating accident, if they left behind casings at every scene, if they changed or altered no parts of the firearm, if you had the manpower to root through 300K of cases...

Yeah, there's a name for this in industry, Death March Project.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    2.5 million for equipment that never worked. Not counting wasted space for storing the 300,000 casings. What do they think they're supposed to do with casings since the machine doesn't work, search all 300,000 by hand? They couldn't even keep up with the demand for background checks in 2013, so how do you think that would work out?

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    What about all of the money allocated for the program in each of the years after the equipment was purchased? Did they use the money for something else? Was that alternate use approved by the GA?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    "machine never worked"...

Where did all of the revenue go then? The taxpayers need to start paying something other than their taxes, like attention.

I want my spent cases back too.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Two pages of posts and nobody's said it.

Now that they're not needed, I volunteer to pick up and dispose of all 300k shell casings.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Now that they're not needed, I volunteer to pick up and dispose of all 300k shell casings.

Likely not many as most if not a pistol calibers.
    However, I'll start the bid at $100.00

I bet the homeless are already showing up with shopping cars.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Initial cost of 2.5 million? Is that per year? Even if the cost stayed the same per year, that is $125 for each casing over the 15 years.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Costs of the MD shell casing program should include the costs to firearms manufacturers, distributors, and consumers, and lost sales, too.

1. Manufacturers' and distributors' costs per firearm of segregating shipments to MD and providing the required shell casing in a sealed envelope and labeling case/box accordingly. How much does that add to their costs and/or consumers' costs when passed on, in whole or in part?

2. Retailers' and/or consumers' costs per firearm to provide casing when not received from manufacturer/distributor with it.

3. Lost sales because of the above costs.

4. Consumers' limited choices of firearms in the marketplace, because of manufacturers' and distributors' unwillingness to pay the costs and jump through the hoops to make them available to Maryland consumers.

Now, even without the shell casing requirement to put a damper on sales, MD government has put into place something else: the HQL.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Add in the cost of wasted legislative time trying to get the law thrown out several times. Only the lawyers win crap like this.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So after Oct 1 what effect will that have on new handgun purchase prices :innocent0

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    this article definitely made it seem that there are 10s of thousands of crimes just waiting to be solved by these shell casings... if only that machine worked....

yes because the 300 murders a year by guns in baltimore would all be solved if that magically machine just worked....

the writer, and editor of the article are either stupid or ignorant...

I would like my spent casing back please.

Yes, they have 2 of mine as well.

I like the idea submitted on another thread on MDS... melt them down into Liberty Bells and give the sales proceeds to MSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom