• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    It very well could be that the minutes need to be approved by r the committee before posting then online.

Last time they were posted before the next meeting. That's why I checked.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    And a little birdie might have pointed out that the minutes need to be approved by the committee as well as informing them that the voting needs to be done in public........

Possibly. I was surprised when they were posted before the next meeting.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    here's a little background on "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" from a 2013 court case on what the "confines" of a business with regards to where an employee may carry.

www.google.com/url?url=http://www.m...X8vCSU&usg=AFQjCNGyl85Wuukp1Dkok5yx4Qa5_ZRJKg
    Legislative History of CR §4-203(b)(7) It appears that the State’s initial effort to regulate handgun possession was enacted in 1886. Chapter 375, Laws of Maryland 1886. That law flatly prohibited the wearing or carrying of concealed pistols by an individual who was not a “conservator of the peace,” as well as the open wearing or carrying of pistols with the intent to cause injury. The statute read:
    "Every person not being a conservator of the peace entitled or required to carry such weapon as part of his official equipment, who shall wear or carry any pistol ... concealed upon or about his person, and every person who shall carry or wear any such weapon openly with the intent or purpose of injuring any person, shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned not more than six months in jail or the House of Correction."

This strict prohibition did not last long, however. Eight years later, the General Assembly – noting that the law “does not make proper discrimination in favor of those who travel in dangerous localities, or from other imminent necessity, or prudent precaution in the presence of threatened injury to their lives or persons, may reasonably arm themselves for selfprotection” – added a broad exception for carrying the weapon:

“as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”
    Chapter 547, Laws of Maryland 1894.

That proviso persisted throughout the statute’s various iterations until 1972. In the early 1970s, handgun use resulting in death and serious injuries had risen to troubling levels in the State. In January 1972, the Governor [Marvin Mandel] submitted emergency legislation to curb “the widespread carrying of handguns on the streets and in vehicles by persons who have no legitimate reason to carry them.” Senate Bill 205 (1972); House Bill 277 (1972). The cross-filed bills proposed a permitting scheme with a variety of exceptions for groups or individuals with a legitimate need to carry handguns. An exception to the general ban was made for those holding a permit to carry a weapon, as issued by the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police according to certain criteria set forth in the statute. Other exceptions pertained to on-duty law enforcement, military, or correctional personnel; various sporting activities; and those possessing handguns in their home or place of business.

So from 1894 to 1972 was it up to the carrier to determine if they had apprehended danger, or up to the authorities to determine it after the fact if a crime occured?
    was reasonable precaution that broad before 1972?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    here's a little background on "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" from a 2013 court case on what the "confines" of a business with regards to where an employee may carry.

www.google.com/url?url=http://www.m...X8vCSU&usg=AFQjCNGyl85Wuukp1Dkok5yx4Qa5_ZRJKg

So from 1894 to 1972 was it up to the carrier to determine if they had apprehended danger, or up to the authorities to determine it after the fact if a crime occured?

Of course, this cuts against us, as the court recognizes that the 1972 law restricted the right beyond that reason. BTW, here is the citation to the case (Blue v. PG County, 434 Md. 681, 76 A.3d 1129 (2013))

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    so public safety 5-306 a 6 (ii) says

"has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

so i guess my thinking is, if the "finding" of "reasonable precaution" was not up to the secretary before 1972, why is it after 1972?
    meaning that if i say my reasoning is a "reasonable precaution" the secretary should accept it.
    the general assembly of 1894 defined what a reasonable precaution was, ie carrying a concealed firearm, and what an apprehended danger is, ie "...those who travel in dangerous localities..." amoung others.

what was considered a "dangerous locality" in 1894?

and has the general assembly said anything since 1894 to change that?

i'd love to hear someone tear my reasoning apart.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Chapter 547, Laws of Maryland 1894

CHAPTER 547.

AN ACT to amend and re-enact Section thirty (30), of Arti-
    cle twenty-seven (27), of the Code of Public General Laws,
    entitled "Crimes and Punishments," sub-title "Concealed
    Weapons," and punishing the offense of carrying concealed
    weapons.

WHEREAS, It is represented to this General Assembly that
    the existing law in reference to the offense of carrying con-
    cealed weapons does not make proper discrimination in favor
    of those who travel in dangerous localities
    , or from other
    imminent necessity, or prudent precaution in the presence of

threatened injury to their lives or persons, may reasonably
    arm themselves for self -protection; and the law has been made
    an instrument of injustice to those not deserving of punish-
    ment
    ; therefore,

Amendment.
    SECTION 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of
    Maryland, That section thirty (30), of article twenty-seven
    (27) of the Code of Public General Laws, entitled "Crimes
    ,and Punishments," sub-title "Concealed Weapons," be and the
    same is hereby amended and re-enacted so as to read as follows :

Carrying

concealed
    weapons.
    30. Every person not being a conservator of the peace en-
    titled or required to carry such weapon as a part of his official
    equipment, and not carrying such weapon as a reasonable pre-
    caution against apprehended danger, who shall wear or carry
    any pistol, dirk knife, bowie knife, slung shot, billy, sand club,
    metal knuckles, razor or any other dangerous or deadly weapon
    of any kind whatsoever (penknives excepted,) concealed upon
    or about his person, and every person who shall carry or wear
    any such weapon openly, with the intent or purpose of injur-
    ing any person in any unlawful manner, and not for any pro-

Penalty.
    per purpose of self-protection, shall, upon conviction thereof,
    be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or be imprisoned
    not more than two years in jail or in the house of correction ;
    and the court or jury before whom any such case may be tried
    shall in all cases have the right to judge of the reasonableness
    of the carrying of any such weapon, and of the proper occa-
    sion therefor
    , upon satisfactory proof; and in case, upon con-
    viction of any offender, the court, in view of the evidence,
    shall be of the opinion that such weapon was carried with the
    deliberate purpose of inflicting grievous and unlawful injury
    to the life or person of another, it shall in that case be the
    duty of the court to impose the highest sentence of imprison-
    ment hereinbefore prescribed.

Effective.
    SEC. 2. And be it enacted, That this act shall take effect
    from the date of its passage.

Approved April 6th, 1894.

it appears the court or jury determines the reasonableness of apprehended danger, after the fact. so shouldn't finding from courts from 1894-1972 be the guidelines the secretary uses in his "finding"?

would not any use deemed to be self defense in a court of law meet that standard?

this is the first legislative definition i've seen of reasonable precaution and apprehended danger that i've seen, and it held for 78 years. does anything redefine it better?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    today baltimore city police is taking a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger by cancelling all police leave on the days of the next two freddie grey hearings. it sounds like the entire city of baltinore may be a "dangerous locality". who travels there?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    scherr affirms snowden, but doesnt define "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger".

in snowden the plantiff argues that reasonable precaution should be view from the standpoint of the applicant. that was his mistake. 1894 criminal law clearly gives examples of "r.p.a.a.d.", like going to a dangerous locale, or reasons a judge or jury would acquit a defendant if he were to be charged under the statute. the only thing a judge or jury from 1894-1972 could convict for was intent to use that carried weapon for crime.
    the legislature of 1972 had to know that when they chose the very specific and antiquated phrase "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" and recycled it into the new law, and since criminal "intent" still applies to other dangerous weapons in md, that should also still be a valid defense. ie "i am applying for a permit in compliance with the law, therefor my compliance shows i have no criminal intent".

i think the Secretary and board were meant to be a rubber stamp, unlike the board argues in s&s, existing only to put in place a speedbump between firearm carry and criminal intent, by developing a process where those willing to comply with laws (like laws barring carry with criminal intent) could be identified first, thereby labeling those carrying without permits as people with criminal intent.

prior to permitting, reasonale precaution or intent to crime was impossible to identify before a crime occured. a person with intent to crime could always use some excuse like "reasonable precaution". by making carry without a permit into a crime, no intemt needs to be proved. and those willingly complying with the law must have no criminal intent.

suddenly it makes perfect sense. but it appears, like anyone granted too much authority, over time that authority has been perverted. but if we can prove this, then we win.

anyone want to take a crack at this?

for the tl:dr crowd
    my reading of the law in light of the 1894 and earlier versions, 1972 g&s was not put in place to make it hard for people to prove g&s and reasonable apprehension, but in order to make it easy to prove someone was carrying with intent to injure or unlawful activity. no permit automatically equals unlawful intent. the problem cited by the legislature and governor mandel in 1972 being handguns carried for unlawful intent, not easy access to concealed carry.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Of course, this cuts against us, as the court recognizes that the 1972 law restricted the right beyond that reason. BTW, here is the citation to the case (Blue v. PG County, 434 Md. 681, 76 A.3d 1129 (2013))

But didn't the court of appeals then refer back to the "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" principle which is what negates the arguments the MSP have been using for denial? I am very confused!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    But didn't the court of appeals then refer back to the "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" principle which is what negates the arguments the MSP have been using for denial? I am very confused!

blue vs prince Georges only deals with the difference between a business owner and property owned or leased, and authorized employees and what is the "confines of an establishment". i dont see blue vs prince as a negative towards permitting, only a reference to an obscure history of carry law that was previously lost to me.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yup, I'll be at this one even though it is going to make it a rough day/night. Work from 7am-3:30pm, drive straight to meeting, meeting from 6-8ish, drive straight to work in Bethesda and work till 6am. Gonna be a fun one!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    so public safety 5-306 a 6 (ii) says

"has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

so i guess my thinking is, if the "finding" of "reasonable precaution" was not up to the secretary before 1972, why is it after 1972?
    meaning that if i say my reasoning is a "reasonable precaution" the secretary should accept it.
    the general assembly of 1894 defined what a reasonable precaution was, ie carrying a concealed firearm, and what an apprehended danger is, ie "...those who travel in dangerous localities..." amoung others.

what was considered a "dangerous locality" in 1894?

and has the general assembly said anything since 1894 to change that?

i'd love to hear someone tear my reasoning apart.

Chapter 547, Laws of Maryland 1894

CHAPTER 547.

AN ACT to amend and re-enact Section thirty (30), of Arti-
    cle twenty-seven (27), of the Code of Public General Laws,
    entitled "Crimes and Punishments," sub-title "Concealed
    Weapons," and punishing the offense of carrying concealed
    weapons.

WHEREAS, It is represented to this General Assembly that
    the existing law in reference to the offense of carrying con-
    cealed weapons does not make proper discrimination in favor
    of those who travel in dangerous localities
    , or from other
    imminent necessity, or prudent precaution in the presence of

threatened injury to their lives or persons, may reasonably
    arm themselves for self -protection; and the law has been made
    an instrument of injustice to those not deserving of punish-
    ment
    ; therefore,

Amendment.
    SECTION 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of
    Maryland, That section thirty (30), of article twenty-seven
    (27) of the Code of Public General Laws, entitled "Crimes
    ,and Punishments," sub-title "Concealed Weapons," be and the
    same is hereby amended and re-enacted so as to read as follows :

Carrying

concealed
    weapons.
    30. Every person not being a conservator of the peace en-
    titled or required to carry such weapon as a part of his official
    equipment, and not carrying such weapon as a reasonable pre-
    caution against apprehended danger, who shall wear or carry
    any pistol, dirk knife, bowie knife, slung shot, billy, sand club,
    metal knuckles, razor or any other dangerous or deadly weapon
    of any kind whatsoever (penknives excepted,) concealed upon
    or about his person, and every person who shall carry or wear
    any such weapon openly, with the intent or purpose of injur-
    ing any person in any unlawful manner, and not for any pro-

Penalty.
    per purpose of self-protection, shall, upon conviction thereof,
    be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or be imprisoned
    not more than two years in jail or in the house of correction ;
    and the court or jury before whom any such case may be tried
    shall in all cases have the right to judge of the reasonableness
    of the carrying of any such weapon, and of the proper occa-
    sion therefor
    , upon satisfactory proof; and in case, upon con-
    viction of any offender, the court, in view of the evidence,
    shall be of the opinion that such weapon was carried with the
    deliberate purpose of inflicting grievous and unlawful injury
    to the life or person of another, it shall in that case be the
    duty of the court to impose the highest sentence of imprison-
    ment hereinbefore prescribed.

Effective.
    SEC. 2. And be it enacted, That this act shall take effect
    from the date of its passage.

Approved April 6th, 1894.

it appears the court or jury determines the reasonableness of apprehended danger, after the fact. so shouldn't finding from courts from 1894-1972 be the guidelines the secretary uses in his "finding"?

would not any use deemed to be self defense in a court of law meet that standard?

this is the first legislative definition i've seen of reasonable precaution and apprehended danger that i've seen, and it held for 78 years. does anything redefine it better?

So basically the MSP has been pulling their process and application of the law out of their asses. How do we combat 40+ years of "precedence"?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yup, I'll be at this one even though it is going to make it a rough day/night. Work from 7am-3:30pm, drive straight to meeting, meeting from 6-8ish, drive straight to work in Bethesda and work till 6am. Gonna be a fun one!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    So basically the MSP has been pulling their process and application of the law out of their asses. How do we combat 40+ years of "precedence"?

with a 121 year older precedent and definition. this is something the members of the hprb could run with, and something the secretary of state police could cite. and they would be within their authority, and actually following the law for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom