• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm working on crappy wireless on an iPad so let me know if this is already out there.

I recall that we had a lengthy discussion many years ago regarding whether LE had access to handgun ownership records in their vehicles. Some of our resident LE stated at that time that they did not.

Regardless of how things were in that earlier discussion, it's looking like things have gone that route currently.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/

Same cop in both of the described circumstances is notable, though it being an MTA cop it's also possible to ascribe it to being a small agency.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The take away: The department review found no wrong doing.

You have no rights anymore, in the name of public safety!

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    My take-away is: WTF is the MTA Police doing pulling over folks on 95?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The take away: The department review found no wrong doing.

You have no rights anymore, in the name of public safety!

Well, it is the MTA cops after all. If there's one agency that I have little respect for it would be this one.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    MdTA is Maryland Transportation Authority (toll road) Police. MTA is Transit Authority Police (metro & buses). Yes, its confusing.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I can't look up registered gun owners yet but I think we will be able too within the next 5 years as were getting a new system.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I've said it before and I will keep saying it: Gun licensing/registration, and CCW permits(along with the hundreds of license plate readers in the DC area) are nothing more than an easy way for government officials to HARASS, INTIMIDATE, and ARREST GUN OWNERS, it's what makes confiscation possible!

KL1

Feb 6, 2013
    Northern MoCo
    the officer arrested him for having the gun and the cartridge in the same locked container — not separated, as per Maryland law.
    Which Maryland law is this referring to?
    MD 4-203-(b)(3) says:
    if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    Doesn't say anything about separate containers.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless the driver consented to a search, how does the mere fact he has a FL CCW constitute PC?

wow.

I guess they'll start pulling over MD residents with FL CCW's next.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Unless the driver consented to a search, how does the mere fact he has a FL CCW constitute PC?

wow.

I guess they'll start pulling over MD residents with FL CCW's next.

He was issued a "speeding warning" - does that constitute PC?

I hate playing the "what if" game, but does going 56 in a 55 be all that would be needed to get pulled over for a search? :sad20:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    MdTA is Maryland Transportation Authority (toll road) Police. MTA is Transit Authority Police (metro & buses). Yes, its confusing.

I knew the difference in the agencies, but didn't know the little "d" abbreviation.:thumbsup:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I thought MTA was Maryland Transit Administration? MTA is busses, light rail, etc.

I would guess it was the Transportation Authority's Police that was involved in the article since that agency works highways.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is speeding evidence of another crime?. A traffic stop is not an arrest. I agree an arrest is grounds for a search, but is a temporary detention ground for a search with no RAS or PC of anything else?

IANAL or LE so I don't know.

Seems a stretch to me.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There's more to this somehow. Take the 2nd story within the story out and forget about it because it's just some guys feelings on why he got arrested.......his arrest can be debated differently.

How did the cop know he had a Fl permit and a registered keltec ".38". Any cops here have a system to check on firearm permits for out of state? Also if the department found no policy violation then what is this guys claim to illegal search? I can't search your car based on a CCW card so there's more A LOT MORE not being reported or PROPERLY reported.

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    I don't think they are deliberately pulling over out of state permit holders...but if they are speeding and they notice they have a CCW, OF COURSE they will harass them. Its up to the discretion of each individual officer, but I'm sure their are a few jackasses that exploit the CCW and use it to harass people and deliver extra charges or use it to justify a otherwise illegal search. Maybe they don't like the idea of an armed citizen? They are, after all a trooper in a fascist state...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    MDTA has lots of contracts for 95. Can't see why their Police agency wouldnt be involved either.

Everything from maintenance to the tow truck "courtesy patrols"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom