• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPE1980

Mar 4, 2015
    Silver Spring 20906
    Hey Shooters. I have a question about transfers and was hoping someone with a good knowledge of the law could help me because I have heard different stories.

I purchased a complete lower in September 2013. I never got around to building it and have decided to sell it. Does it need to be transferred through the State Police or FFL or can it be sold f2f since it is just a lower?

I heard it can be ftf since it was purchased before the law changed as long as there is a bill of sale.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to do anything illegally.

Thanks in advance

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Must be transferred through MSP or an FFL.

MSP considers a lower a regulated firearm as it COULD be build into a pistol.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Once transfered it can not be built into a now banned configuration . it was never lawful to sell a lower ftf.

Slap an hbar upper on it and it can be sold ftf. Iirc.

Ask a private ffl or atty if you need advice. This is just background information.

Asking msp is not a recommended method of obtaining reliable info..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would keep the lower, as YOU can build it into any configuration you want.

Once sold, it becomes a post-ban lower for the rest of eternity (or until it gets sold outside MD, which requires FFL transfer).

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Did you buy it as a rifle or other? I thought complete lowers were transferred as rifles? Put an upper on it, sell it as a complete rifle ftf and then have the friend gift you the upper back? IANAL

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would keep the lower, as YOU can build it into any configuration you want.

Once sold, it becomes a post-ban lower for the rest of eternity (or until it gets sold outside MD, which requires FFL transfer).

I thought your position was that if it was not built into a now banned configuration before October 1, 2013, it cannot be built into one now. At least that is what you were saying MSP's position was. Has your position changed, or am I incorrect about what your position used to be?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP advisory. Pre ban lowers can be built into anything.

Attachments

• 5-16-14 LD-FRS-14-003 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf
      186.3 KB · Views: 145
    • msp.jpg
      msp.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 198

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I thought your position was that if it was not built into a now banned configuration before October 1, 2013, it cannot be built into one now. At least that is what you were saying MSP's position was. Has your position changed, or am I incorrect about what your position used to be?
    His position changed. He was erring on the side of caution. If you download the PDF of the advisory (I've posted it before but am on the phone now), it's dated May of 2014. However they just made it available through their website a couple months back.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Yes, and no.

My position was, as you stated that it needed to built as banned, BEFORE the ban. This was based on MSP giving conflicting responses to requests for clarification. And their treatment of SBRs, supported my position (that if not built before 10/1/13, has to meet current rules)

This past summer, MSP quietly put out a bulletin that finally set down their official position.

Which is that a pre-10/1/13 lower may be built into any configuration.

So, yes, I did change my position, based on this bulletin.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Yes, and no.

My position was, as you stated that it needed to built as banned, BEFORE the ban. This was based on MSP giving conflicting responses to requests for clarification. And their treatment of SBRs, supported my position (that if not built before 10/1/13, has to meet current rules)

This past summer, MSP quietly put out a bulletin that finally set down their official position.

Which is that a pre-10/1/13 lower may be built into any configuration.

So, yes, I did change my position, based on this bulletin.

They know what unenforceable means..

All that has to happen is that it was mated with a now banned upper.. anywhere before, Oct 2013..

Of course SBR is still an issue if oal < 29. Maybe.. stand by

;)

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They know what unenforceable means..

All that has to happen is that it was matted with a now banned upper.. anywhere before, Oct 2013..

Of course SBR is still an issue if oal < 29. Maybe.. stand by

;)

This is what I am waiting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom