Northern Alabama
    Luger
    C96 (Red 9)
    Hi Power
    P-38
    PPKS (9mm kurz)
    Sig P229 P226 and P320 Compact
    CZ75 series

Not a fan of Glock, XDs, M&Ps, new Walthers, etc.

If you're new to handguns, you should also try the men's version of 9mm which would require a steel framed revolver and some .357 magnum rounds.

That would be my Highway Patrolman.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You can find deals on a 226. Especially if you're willing to consider used. If I ever get my debts paid off, my next gun purchase is likely to be a Sig.

It's a feel thing. Beretta M9 would be another possibility, but they're beefy-gripped so it depends on how big your hands are. I'd also suggest trying an HK P30/P2000 but since you said Sig is pricey as it is, probably not. :D

If you go striker-fired, try it out at the range first. (Glock, xDM, M&P, etc) If you're used to a 1911 trigger with a short pull and crisp break, you might not like a striker-fired so much. Plus Glocks have an odd grip angle compared to other pistols.

Best thing you can do...hit the range, rent and borrow, run through a mag on each one, see what's most fun to shoot.
    I personally prefer the "odd" grip angle of a Glock but this concern by others has been addressed in the Gen 4 Glock's where the grip angle is adjustable and even a beaver tail is an option.

I would suggest any Glock, Sig, and/or H&K in 9 mm. I don't particularly like the S&W M&P series but that is another option by quality manufacturer.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    i guess the question is, do you mean OWN or TRY? because the former is going to be a much smaller list; for example, i would say every shooter should shoot a Glock 17/19, but if you don't like them, why would you own one?

ultimately, you can't go wrong with a range of iconic 9mms like the Beretta 92, SIG P226, Glock 17, CZ75, etc, etc.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I can't add anything, you have all the suggestions.
    Go to Freestate or the other ranges that rent. See what fits YOUR hand and what you like. As some one said, don't over look used. You can get great deals on used firearms.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are plenty I've fired or owned that are fun or interesting for one reason or another.

A military pattern DA/SA or SAO(hi-power) that makes a good all around shooter with some history, Beretta 92, Hi-power, Sig226/229 or CZ 75, all are solid and reliable.

I particularly like small CCW 9s, they are a bit more challenging to shoot than a full size, but are lots of fun even if you don't carry. Kahr PM/CM9, XDs9, M&P shield, the inexpensive cartridge also works well in revolvers like the LCR. The GLOCK 26 is a little larger, but probably the most versatile and fun little 9 around, add a G19 mag with X-grip sleeve, and it shoots like a mid-sized.

Last edited:

JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Canik Tp- 9 SA . I read about this "budget gun " in guns and ammo. I forgot the articles authors . He compared about 10 9 mm under $400. The Canik can out on top with the exception of Glock because of the after market accessories . I love shooting mine. It was only 269.00 at gun preppers.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    ...i tried...now I own. :thumbs:

Oddly, the same thing happened with the CZ Rami.

After reading a lot last night this is currently sitting in first place for my next purchase and may be the gun to be my first HQL buy. I'm one of those hold outs but not for much longer.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    To shoot or to own? Everyone should shoot as many different firearms as possible. It's part of gaining a broader understanding of our hobby/addiction. Many different actions and grip angles, etc. What makes people like one firearm over another? Not unlike different tastes in music, Preferences in firearms are as nuanced. After all you pull the trigger and it goes bang, but what happens in between is the beat, tempo, harmony.

I own several Glocks, Shoot them often. Really don't particularly like them. But i train constantly with them. They are light, reliable, and fairly easy to shoot well, and very light (yes i wrote it twice). I carry one every day and want to be as proficient with it as possible, God forbid i need it.

For enjoyment, for the delight in the engineering and design, I take the Luger, the Radom, the P38, the High Power, etc. Firing arms like this is a trip through history. It goes far beyond the trigger squeeze and BANG-kick.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Off the top of my head, 'must-shoot' 9mm pistols:

H&K USP - Admittedly, my favorite. DA/SA hammer fired & polymer.
    GLOCK 17 - Admittedly, my least favorite. "DAO" striker-fired & polymer.
    BHP (regrettably, I've never had the chance) - SA hammer fired & metal.
    9mm 1911 - Hilariously easy and fun to shoot. SA hammer fired & metal.
    CZ75 - Triggers leave something to be desired, but that can be addressed. DA/SA hammer-fired & metal.

That should showcase the differences between polymer and metal and also show very different actions in each platform. Are there more? Certainly. Berettas, Sigs, other plastic fantastics and such, but the above will give the spread of common 9mm platforms. The rest are more about breadth, yunno? Then there's things like the P7 and other oddities/rarities.

Regarding the Browning Hi-Power and 9mm chambered 1911 - this is really a showcase between rechambering a gun for a cartridge it was never meant for and how the same designer (yes I know he didn't 'finish' the BHP, but whatever) builds a different gun around that same cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom