• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FunInMD

Jul 18, 2015
    Hello Maryland.

Just picked up a new Savage Trophy Hunter in .223. Has 1:9 twist and came with packaged Nikon scope and Accutrigger. I'm still new to the community so the purpose here was to try to hit paper targets at some pseudo far off distance, keep the cost down (hence the .223), and start learning my way around a bolt gun. Maybe upgrade the stock/barrel/optics in the future if I enjoy it enough.

The question is what would be a (or a few) good ammo choices to start with? I've picked up some of the 55gr Perfecta and Black Box AE223 but I'm seeing more than a few places (thanks to the never ending depths of the interwebs) that heavier is better but I've usually been seeing that also means a few more dollars. Does it matter THAT much? For the stage of the game I'm at, I have a feeling 'no' but I also don't want to find myself being frustrated if I can't get the holes in the paper too close together.

Thanks all.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've had much success with PMC Bronze in several .223/5.56 rifles.

55 grain. FMJ Boat Tail.

Palmetto State Armory may still have it on sale.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    What are you considering a far off distance? Typical mil surp ammo typically doesnt do much better than 2 moa. 400yds plus and anything lighter than 69gr really gets blown around in the wind.

FunInMD

Jul 18, 2015
    I'll check out the PMC too.

"Far off" at this point is not passed 400 yd. I don't even know of a range that I can get THAT far out.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    wolf gold is quality ammo, and its inexpensive for brass case ammo. I find it to be as accurate as any other I feed my ar. I don't have any experience with a .223 bolt gun though. for .223 I like the fiocchi 55gr as well. it comes in a 50 round box and can be had for about 18 bucks/50. just not as common to see

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester offers a 69gr load, it's good stuff. Performed quite well in my Savage 10 before I re-barreled it into a .260, avoid the 75gr PPU Match. It shot like garbage for me, consistently.

My handloaded 75gr's were a completely different story, shot extremely well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is what I came to expect from Winchester Match 69gr, pictured is 10 rounds fired - 5 Win Match, 5 69gr Handloads - 105 yards off a bipod.

DSCF0671.jpg

Not too shabby for off the shelf ammo, IMO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll try some mindreading of the OP between the lines.

He's relative newcomer to shooting, leastwise centerfire rifle. Pusedo Long Range will be up to 100yd, at least to start, initial goal having most rounds closer to the center of the paper , than the edges. If that is warm , you're good. Everyone starts out there, and you've got a plan to improve your skills. ( If I guessed wrong, let us know, and we'll try to steer you. )

The Accutriger is pretty good. Nikon glass is better than usually seen in Pkg combo guns, and will be fine to start with, and you may well be satisified to stick with it.

To start out , you can use random 55gr fmj. When your shooting skills have you getting 4in or smaller groups @ 100yds from either bench , or prone with sling , it would be meaningful to test several brands of 55gr fmj to see which groups best in your rifle. When prefered 55gr is sub 2in groups , get back to us , and we'll be glad to talk your ear off about any combination of medium or long range target loads, deer or varmit hunting ammo, or whatever.

If you don't know basic rifle handling , or have a basic concept of semi-formal bench shooting, or position shooting w/ sling , then consult an experienced mentor , or one of our IP instructors .

FunInMD

Jul 18, 2015
    I'll try some mindreading of the OP between the lines.

He's relative newcomer to shooting, leastwise centerfire rifle. Pusedo Long Range will be up to 100yd, at least to start, initial goal having most rounds closer to the center of the paper , than the edges. If that is warm , you're good. Everyone starts out there, and you've got a plan to improve your skills. ( If I guessed wrong, let us know, and we'll try to steer you. )

The Accutriger is pretty good. Nikon glass is better than usually seen in Pkg combo guns, and will be fine to start with, and you may well be satisified to stick with it.

To start out , you can use random 55gr fmj. When your shooting skills have you getting 4in or smaller groups @ 100yds from either bench , or prone with sling , it would be meaningful to test several brands of 55gr fmj to see which groups best in your rifle. When prefered 55gr is sub 2in groups , get back to us , and we'll be glad to talk your ear off about any combination of medium or long range target loads, deer or varmit hunting ammo, or whatever.

If you don't know basic rifle handling , or have a basic concept of semi-formal bench shooting, or position shooting w/ sling , then consult an experienced mentor , or one of our IP instructors .
    Yes Biggfoot. That was some good mindreading. I was trying not to leave any gaps in what I was asking but it happens.

I'll start off with 55gr to punch through paper and get the mechanics down. I've had several offers for assistance at work and church so far so I'll start there.

Thanks all for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom