• .45 M&P

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Just looking for opinions on this :)

I'm new to the NFA game, and am going to shy away from SBR for right now until that gets sorted out a bit better. However, I would like to look into getting a silencer into my grubby little hands, some time next year by the way timing sounds to be going.

All of that being said, what should I get first?

.22 pistol
    9mm pistol
    .45 pistol
    .223 carbine

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    22 is probably the easiest, least expensive and quietest to suppress. I still selected 45 as a first option simply because you can use a 45 suppressor with a 9mm, subsonic 300 and a few more calibers. Just my 2 cents.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    22 is probably the easiest, least expensive and quietest to suppress. I still selected 45 as a first option simply because you can use a 45 suppressor with a 9mm, subsonic 300 and a few more calibers. Just my 2 cents.

That's my plan, too. Plus, my .45 has a threaded barrel, so that seems like the natural place to start.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    You can't use a pistol suppressor with a rifle round (from what I understand). So I wouldn't try a .45 suppressor with anything like 300 blackout subsonic. I know my 9mm suppressor is MUCH lighter/thinner walled than my 5.56 suppressor. More knowledgeable memebers than myself will doubtless be by to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    You can use 300 black out in some modern pistol suppressors. The osprey comes to mind.

I would do .22 or .45 first.

I got a 9mm suppressor first and wish I had done a .22 at the same time.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    .22 is easiest and subsonic ammo is usually available, 9mm is very handy and a 45 is just so loud, it's hard to suppress even though standard ammo is already subsonic. If you go .22 get one that you can take apart and clean as they lead up a bit.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I would do the .22

I've shot several calibers suppressed and I own .45 and .22 cans. Got the .45 first and haven't shot it since I got the .22 almost a year ago. A blast to shoot, cheap, and QUIET.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    .22 is easiest and subsonic ammo is usually available, 9mm is very handy and a 45 is just so loud, it's hard to suppress even though standard ammo is already subsonic. If you go .22 get one that you can take apart and clean as they lead up a bit.

+1. :thumbsup:

22 and 9mm will be the most effective suppressors on your list. Followed by 45 and then 223. I have 17 suppressors and the 22 and 9mm ones get the most use.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    +1. :thumbsup:

22 and 9mm will be the most effective suppressors on your list. Followed by 45 and then 223. I have 17 suppressors and the 22 and 9mm ones get the most use.

+1

22lr & 9mm are the easiest calibers to suppress.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think the poll is flawed. Getting one suppressor is as much of a pain as getting 10. So decide what you want and get them all at once. I say at least the 9mm and 22LR and maybe the 223 while you are at it! I would skip the 45acp.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I think the poll is flawed. Getting one suppressor is as much of a pain as getting 10. So decide what you want and get them all at once. I say at least the 9mm and 22LR and maybe the 223 while you are at it! I would skip the 45acp.

$$$$

I had a hard enough time selling my wife on letting me piece together a pair of AR's over the last 9 months. I dont think she'll buy off on me purchasing multiple silencers plus ATF fees all at once :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It depends on your situation. *I* would get .22lr first ( or at least a .22lr capable in first batch) . because *For Me* I could then do high volume .22lr shooting at home. Pay for itself in not having travel expense to range. OK , ok , I'd still spend the same, but I'd shoot a lot more for the same $ .

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    $$$$

I had a hard enough time selling my wife on letting me piece together a pair of AR's over the last 9 months. I dont think she'll buy off on me purchasing multiple silencers plus ATF fees all at once :)

Well then tell her the one suppressor costs $2k, that should cover both a 9mm and 22lr.

Or don't tell her.

Or tell her about the second one in 18 months. Put yourself on the 9 month plan.

Or remind her that you are the man of the house and will do what you want! :)

Last time I bought a MG, I dropped more money than I have ever spent on a gun. After I got it, I figure I should tell her just so she did not think I was trying to hide it. So I walked up and asked her if she wanted to see what I just got! She said, "no, not really"... yep job well done!

Gary7

May 2, 2013
    Depends on the host gun. Not all 22's give great results suppressed.

Also, 45 can will also work well with 9, so one can for 2 calibers.
    A lot of 45 ammo is already subsonic, most 9 isn't.

Have also had good success shooting 223 thru 30 cal can; again one can for multiple calibers.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Depends on the host gun. Not all 22's give great results suppressed.

Also, 45 can will also work well with 9, so one can for 2 calibers.
    A lot of 45 ammo is already subsonic, most 9 isn't.

Have also had good success shooting 223 thru 30 cal can; again one can for multiple calibers.

The ammo that you shoot can make a big difference in how well your suppressor performs. Standard factory .45ACP 230gr FMJ ammo is subsonic. Roughly 830-850 FPS. However, .45 is also a large opening and it just doesn't suppress as well as a 9mm can with good subsonic ammo at 935 - 1000 fps.

And +1 on using a .30 cal can to also shoot .223. Full powered suppressed .223 and .308 loads are still both going to sound like an unsuppressed .22 short or LR.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    Well then tell her the one suppressor costs $2k, that should cover both a 9mm and 22lr.

Or don't tell her.

Or tell her about the second one in 18 months. Put yourself on the 9 month plan.

Or remind her that you are the man of the house and will do what you want! :)

Last time I bought a MG, I dropped more money than I have ever spent on a gun. After I got it, I figure I should tell her just so she did not think I was trying to hide it. So I walked up and asked her if she wanted to see what I just got! She said, "no, not really"... yep job well done!

no not really lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom