• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Hey all. So good news! I'm getting married!

Complication! She's a foreign citizen.

She's here legally on an H1B visa from the Philippines. I'm a native born citizen of the united states of God Bless America.

So obviously there's a ton of paperwork to file in order to get her off of her work visa which only allows her to work for the Baltimore city school system and onto a green card and eventually a US citizenship.

I've been looking for a good lawyer in the area and I figured I can't do much better than the good folks here on MD Shooters.

Lawyers fees add up quick, especially when there's a ton of fees to pay the feds to file her paperwork so it's getting kind of un-nerving. She wants to just do the work ourselves but I have a feeling we'll want a professional.

If anyone out there is an immigration lawyer or knows of a good one, or can advise me of who to avoid it would be a huge help!

Thanks gang.
    Rob

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Be careful about selecting a lawyer. A bad one can screw you up and delay your process because there are certain things you will not be able to control anymore once you put a lawyers name on the case.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Be careful about selecting a lawyer. A bad one can screw you up and delay your process because there are certain things you will not be able to control anymore once you put a lawyers name on the case.

Exactly. Which is why I'm hoping to find a great one. I know that if I did it myself I would screw something up. But if I'm paying for it, I'd better be paying for the best.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG

She's here legally on an H1B visa from the Philippines. I'm a native born citizen of the united states of God Bless America.

So obviously there's a ton of paperwork to file in order to get her off of her work visa which only allows her to work for the Baltimore city school system and onto a green card and eventually a US citizenship.

I've been looking for a good lawyer in the area and I figured I can't do much better than the good folks here on MD Shooters.

Lawyers fees add up quick, especially when there's a ton of fees to pay the feds to file her paperwork so it's getting kind of un-nerving. She wants to just do the work ourselves but I have a feeling we'll want a professional.

If anyone out there is an immigration lawyer or knows of a good one, or can advise me of who to avoid it would be a huge help!

Thanks gang.
    Rob

I would start here. http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/bureau-of-citizenship-and-immigration-services.shtml You might be surprised how much you can do yourself without the necessity of a lawyer. Because your wife is here legally, and a citizen of the Philippines the process is somewhat streamlined, at least it was for one of my nephews. If I remember, he did not use an attorney for anything.

BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    The paperwork is actually pretty straightforward. If she's never been married before and doesn't have any kids, then I wouldn't bother with a lawyer. I just went through something similar a couple of years ago.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    You can probably do most if not all of it yourself, I did it. There is a lot of good information out there, spend a few nights getting close with Google!

Congrats and all the best!

myproverb

Aug 8, 2013
    It's not really that bad; but a lawyer will definitely guide you to do it right the first time. I got everything done in 3 months (from sending paperwork to getting the green card).

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD

Thanks gang.
    Rob
    she is legally here for work visa. sometimes it is always wise to have all your plans sort out and best if you do it yourself. i usually ask for lawyer if there is a problem. i dont see you are having problem with paper works yet. lawyers are pretty expensive and usually will not help you if there is nothing wrong. Go to immigration office in Baltimore and talk to a consulate or immigration officer first and i bet they will have all your papers that needed to file for fiance' visa then if getting married much better you are both just need to show up for an interview then get married. 2 years after she will be ask to drop her temporary visa and get a permanent visa. 3 years after she will now get a chance to apply for citizenship and all up to her... dont get overwhelmed by the procedures it is just a walk in park...;););)

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I think the hardest part is the documents that your wife has needs to be legally translated and motorized. Everything else is simply filling out all the forms and making copies of everything. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom