• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Can't find it right now, but there was a video of a teenager playing Eddie Van Halen's Eruption on the bagpipes. Also check out "The Red Hot Chili Pipers" for some unusual piping.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Notre Dame used to offer a full ride for bagpipe scholarships back in the day. Don't know if they still do.

I may be the exception to the Irishman rule, but you could make me divulge state secrets with a bagpipe.

They do sound awesome when accompanying a forlorn hope though.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Going rate to have him play AC/DC "Highway to Hell" outside of Brian Frosh's house at 5:30 every morning?
    I'll make him do that for free! A shame Senator Turd lives a bit far for us.

Notre Dame used to offer a full ride for bagpipe scholarships back in the day. Don't know if they still do.

I may be the exception to the Irishman rule, but you could make me divulge state secrets with a bagpipe.

They do sound awesome when accompanying a forlorn hope though.

Hmmm. Interesting. A full ride sounds good to me! He's transferring to UMD to study physics next year, but ND is a great school and has a decent physics program.

I have a business partner Id like to prank.

:party29:

What area would he come from I am in Frederick?

We live in SMIBVille... St Marys by PAX River... a bit far for a wake up...but tempting.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    SG, find out for me if he might be interested in playing one or two pieces for a Christening on Kent Island in early November. My piper friend at work basically said he just didn't know any music appropriate for the occasion.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Honestly no, we don't. It may not be worth the effort for him as it's going to be a short ceremony and a long drive. That said, if he has any ideas we'd love to hear them.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a new thought no fighting MD legislators: bagpipes in downtown Annapolis until they overturn SB281

Nah, there's glory in the sound of pipers. These clowns deserve to be serenaded by someone covering funk record b-sides on a Casio keyboard.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Nah, there's glory in the sound of pipers. These clowns deserve to be serenaded by someone covering funk record b-sides on a Casio keyboard.

I don't know about that. Years ago I was in the barracks listening to music on my headphones. A loud group of drunks showed up and put their music on so loud I was hearing it through my headphones. I switched the album to bagpipes, unplugged the headphones and cranked up the speakers. All I heard next was lockers slamming and never saw or heard from them for the rest of the weekend.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you really want to do it, you'll need to be dedicated. Buy a practice chanter and spend about a year taking lessons with that. Then if you're ready buy the pipes.
    A chanter is the part that dangles off the bottom of the bag that they play. A practice chanter is the chanter combined with a mouthpiece (no bag, no drones).
    Sam played the chanter for just shy of a year then joined an Irish pipe band and then we bought his pipes. It takes quite a while to build lung strength and to learn "circular breathing" (inhaling while playing uniterrupted).

I don't think he would give lessons and Bel Air is a fer piece from SMIBVille, but I would imagine you could find an instructor in the Baltimore area.

So you start with a bagless pipe.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    About a year ago I joined the John F Nicoll Pipe Band in Towson. We are sponsored by the American Legion. We are recruiting pipers, all experience levels.
    You must be dedicated and committed though.

Check out the web site.....
    http://thepipeband.org/schedule.html

Lessons are "free" but you are expected to ultimately get good enough to get into the band as a full member and play the parades and other events.

Scott4

Aug 20, 2013
    MoCo
    If you are going to start on bagpipes, find a local instructor. They will make the chanter and music significantly easier to understand. Which will lead to less frustration and a quicker learning curve. A learn it yourself bagpipe course I will be disastrous. Just my 2$

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    My fathers memorial service was on Sunday and included a Piper (one he had mentored over the years) Nothing like filling a church with the sound of pipes. Thanks Scott.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    My fathers memorial service was on Sunday and included a Piper (one he had mentored over the years) Nothing like filling a church with the sound of pipes. Thanks Scott.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    The sweet sound of pipes especially in a church is soothing.

Sam has had to cut back on his pipe playing for a while due to his school load. He's a physics major, and a perfectionist (almost OCD), and he is putting ALL his effort into school. It's comforting to see he has his priority straight, but sad not to hear him practice twice a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom