• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff7457

Apr 18, 2010
    Wow! Learned something new today. The mortar tech and mobile 1. It's a good day!

I would have been very puzzeled looking at someone slamming their AR on the bench to dislodge a casing. I've been using CLP on my AR's. I will have to try mobile 1 on the moving parts.

I knew there was a reason for hanging around this forum.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Wow! Learned something new today. The mortar tech and mobile 1. It's a good day!

I would have been very puzzeled looking at someone slamming their AR on the bench to dislodge a casing. I've been using CLP on my AR's. I will have to try mobile 1 on the moving parts.

I knew there was a reason for hanging around this forum.

Okay folks, this was my concern with this technique being unfamiliar for most. You do not mortar an AR on a bench. You need to move to a safe area where you are still on the line with the weapon oriented downrange with no overhead cover. There is a potential for a live round to be in the chamber and regardless of whether you know the weapon discharged prior to the malfunction you need to treat it that way. This is one of the more advanced and "potentially" dangerous malfunction drills, so study the technique and practice sound range safety when employing it. There is also potential for damaging your rifle if it Haas a collapsible stock, so ensure it is fully collapsed and that you are not striking the tube at an angle where bending could occur.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Chrome lined, brass, cleaning, and lube.

I think this thread does confirm the rammifications of that nasty word W**F steel cased ammo, especially the green laquered variety! Although rarely mentioned so far in this thread, the type (brand) of barrel and if it is chromed lined. I have 1/2 to 1 million rounds through COLT M-16's over the years. Using U.S.G.I. M193 Ball, I have not once experienced a FTF or FTE. Granted, I inspected every round immediately upon issue, properly maintained and lubed weapon and mags. Now, with the so called other brands of AR's hitting the civilian market, most of which not utilizing the chrome chambers and bores, along with the insurgence of that dirty word W**F ammo, I think if I didn't know any better, all of this spells "PROBLEMS". When this dirty word ammo first hit the market back in the day, a rash of AR extractors were suddenly breaking. Upon the question of "What type of ammo were you using?" was asked, well, I think all of you that read this thread are smart enough to figure it wasn't brass cased! Like I try to keep hammering into everyone's head, it's ok to use dirty word ammo in a Russian or former East Com-Bloc manufactured weapon in most cases (no pun intended). NATO forces utilize, to the best of my knowledge, only BRASS cases!!! I'm sure there is sound reason for this.
    Take this post for what it's worth. I'm sure that some of you will probably disagree and I may take some bashing/hazing from this, but honestly, I don't care. If you are going to go broke shooting your AR using decent brass cased stuff, well, perhaps you shouldn't shoot it as much. Using that dirty word ammo in weapons that are originally designed for brass, would you put kerosine and mothballs in the gas tank of your brand new Corvette or other high performance, expensive, new vehicle? I think not!!!!!!! TAKE CARE OF YOUR WEAPONS AND THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    good to know! I've never heard of this operation before. I run a good bit of steel case in my mid-length 5.56 plinker and while i've had no problems yet (knock on wood) i'm glad to know there's a proven proceedure for a stuck case. i wonder what are the risks of tearing off the case head with this techinique?

couple of questions:

1) why is the carrier in that picture that color!?

2) where's the best place to buy some of these Crane o-rings? I'm seeing them here and there for about $1/ea but they are out of stock. This place seems to have them but I've never heard of jtac
    http://www.jtacsupply.com/craneextractororing.aspx

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    +1 on Lou45's post, STOP SHOOTING CRAP AMMO AND THIS PROBLEM DOESN'T HAPPEN. I have never seen brass cased ammo do this unless it was shot after the junk ammo.

One other thing, DO NOT SLAM THE RIFLE, this is not necessary and will damage the rifle, tapping it on the ground or a sturdy surface is all that is usually needed.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    good topic and recommendation. I, like others here, had this happen last weekend after shooting many suppressed 9mm rounds. that f-er was as jammed as Ive ever had a weapon, but this exact method cleared it out. :thumbsup:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    To everyone making posts on this thread. Please indicate brand of AR and upper along with type of ammo being used and under what type of conditions you have or have not experienced a jam. This info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I had a jam where my bolt would not open at all. I remembered hearing about slamming the butt of the rifle on the ground, and tried it. It worked.

I was using Tula...

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    During a Carbine class, A shooting buddy had a stubborn jam on a Bushmaster M4 clone and Federal XM193 ammo.

Another Student jammed with the same identical problem with a Colt M4 and Fiocchi 62 grain FMJ.

Last Weekend, It happened on an AR10, 308 reloads

For Me, had it twice from a Olympic Arms/ Sendra RR 7" shorty, using 55 grain Wolf.

All these issues were resolved by Mortaring the rifle. Most were able to continue shooting after clearing the jam and lubricating the bolt carrier group.

The Worse I've seen is a soldier that Hit the ground in response to indirect-fire. He hit the buttstock of the rifle on the way down and most likely bent the extension tube on his M4. He got one shot off and that Rifle..was just not ever going to work without surgery. Good thing, we had spare rifles.
    The Rifles extension tube was slightly bent, after firing one round, the bolt carrier got stuck about 3/4 way inside the extension tube and binded. The stock had to be cut off and replaced. This type of jam can not be cleared in the field.

So... When hitting the deck for cover. Do not slam the Butt of your AR/ M16 on the ground. ( This was common practice in WW2 with the M1 Garrand or 1903 Springfield). A slight bend on the extension tube and you are out of the fight.

Last edited:

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    Thats great to knowledge to share. Thank you very much. This is definately one of those things that will stick around in this pea brain for awhile. :worship:

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    If you have a sling attachment on the extension tube between the stock and the receiver, be careful that the stock is right up against the attachment before mortaring.

My son's rifle had a jam and when it was mortared, the spring-loaded adjusting pin sheared off. I spent hours trying to move the stock or drill out the broken piece. In the end, I had to replace the stock and the extension tube.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    +1 on Lou45's post, STOP SHOOTING CRAP AMMO AND THIS PROBLEM DOESN'T HAPPEN. I have never seen brass cased ammo do this unless it was shot after the junk ammo.

One other thing, DO NOT SLAM THE RIFLE, this is not necessary and will damage the rifle, tapping it on the ground or a sturdy surface is all that is usually needed.

I'll be damned. A Marine saying "don't beat on the damn thing".

Good info, all. Never learned the technique while I was wearing a uniform. Granted, us desk jockeys didn't touch those scary M-16s but once a year to qualify....

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    To everyone making posts on this thread. Please indicate brand of AR and upper along with type of ammo being used and under what type of conditions you have or have not experienced a jam. This info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

good topic and recommendation. I, like others here, had this happen last weekend after shooting many suppressed 9mm rounds. that f-er was as jammed as Ive ever had a weapon, but this exact method cleared it out.

RR SBR 9mm clearing out some 124gr gold dots. I already had ~150 non-suppressed and ~200 suppressed rounds out of it. This was the first time I had shot JHP's through it. exactly like the first post, live round just barely out of battery stuck like a MF'er. One good whack on the buttstock and I was back in the game.

rob65grendel

Sep 19, 2011
    I had this same problem yesterday at the range when after firing (reloads) 5 rounds the sixth round from my 6.5 Grendel jammed and the bolt got stuck in a partially closed position. I tried pulling the charging handle back but was extremely tight. I also used the forward assist and pulled the trigger but the trigger is stuck also. I was going to try to pry the bolt back but didn't have a screw driver. Now I have a live round stuck in the chamber.
    After reading this thread I think the mortar "Butt Slam" method should work. I'll give it a try next time I get to the range.

I'm posting this message after trying the mortar method unsuccessfully. I went to the range specifically to try this method on my rifle but after striking the butt stock 10 times on a benchrest the bolt would not release itself. It remains stuck in the partially closed position with the round in the chamber. What other options are there to use that could help with this problem?

Last edited:

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Damn...we made it through two pages of a thread about but slamming without a gay sounding post or a crack in clandestine.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    butt slam, crack in the butt, live round stuck in one's chamber, caused by lack of lubrication. Darn it... We have all been infected by clandestine

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom