• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I just wash my hunting clothes with a handful of baking soda. Gets them clean, scent free and without UV enhancers. I then store them in container with some leaves and sticks from the woods. I have had deer come to me within 20 yards from downwind while sitting ground level in a brush blind. One doesn't need to spend money on fancy products to bag a deer.

Can't say 100% whether it works or not but I used to use it along with every other "become a pro-hunter in a bottle" product.One day I started thinking about all the deer that had been taken by guys wearing "horse-blanket" coats,open sighted 30-30's and whatever boots they wore to work the week before and pretty much gave up on all those spray bottles.Now I just hang my clothes outside or put them in a bag with some leaves.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One day I started thinking about all the deer that had been taken by guys wearing "horse-blanket" coats,open sighted 30-30's and whatever boots they wore to work the week before and pretty much gave up on all those spray bottles.

I was thinking along this line also. However, there was no UV brightening agents put in lye soap either.

The modern times we live in, it is cheaper to substitute some chemical to increase a profit margin.

I have splurged on a UV light to test if my hunting garb glows blue though.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    UV lights have been used in the food and commercial swimming pools for quite sometime but of course they have very large units sealed from outside exposure becuase their output dosage would harm people.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most good modern hunting clothing is made without UV brighteners. If in doubt....put it under a black light. That's what I do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another test...stand in front of a trail cam in the dark and see what lights up.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This is turning into a funny sounding real emperical experiment.

Danger, content may contain elements of science:

"How can a redneck test the infrared / ultraviolet light sprectrums?"

:toothless

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    UV and florescence are 2 different phenomena Trail cams are IR, not UV

There was a recent mag article that said research suggests deer can see blue and slightly into UV better than humans

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    UV and florescence are 2 different phenomena Trail cams are IR, not UV

There was a recent mag article that said research suggests deer can see blue and slightly into UV better than humans

At 5: pm i' know that.....5:30 am, not so much. :banghead:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After pondering the premise of the UV-Killer product.

Scent free spray-on SPF30, 50, or 100 sun tan lotion should do the same thing. However, finding a scent free sun screen might be the problem.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    As with anything in hunting, every little advantage might help. Or it might not do anything at all.

I often think about how plenty of people don't take any visual or scent precautions and kill deer most years. But those people spend a lot of time in the woods, or have access to low pressure lands, or maybe have other advantages. I only get to hunt deer ten times a year at the very most (including bow season), so I try to take every precaution I can, including using one of those products. After washing I put the clothes in a bag in the car with some dirt and debris with the thought that they'll pick up that scent.

I don't think it really matters since I'm usually hunting from a tree stand, but I always end up asking myself, "why not?" If I'm going to go through all the effort to practice shooting, get my licenses, scout in the off season, learn more about deer behavior, sit out in the weather, etc., I might as well do this too.

Two weeks ago I happened to get off work early on a Wednesday, so I quickly drove out to a public land spot, grabbed my bow and a sweater from my trunk and went out and hunted with boots that had recently been at a gas station, a sweater that I'd worn in a bar the week before and a hat that I'd been fishing in all summer. I had seven deer walk out in front of me that afternoon (all a little too far for a bow shot). So maybe it doesn't matter...or maybe that's why they didn't come closer? Who the hell knows. But I sure wished I'd planned ahead and had my clothing in order just so that I didn't have to wonder "what if?"

I still don't think it really makes a difference...but I do it anyway. I think in sales they would call me a lead. Haha.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    After pondering the premise of the UV-Killer product.

Scent free spray-on SPF30, 50, or 100 sun tan lotion should do the same thing. However, finding a scent free sun screen might be the problem.

Ever smell that UV Killer? Smells like acrylic floor finish.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The beer infused Redneck results are in

Please feel free to replicate this experiment at home. Either because my photography skills suck, or I have had one too many beers. :toothless

We start out with a regular t-shirt in a Realtree AP pattern, that has been washed in regular laundry detergent containing UV brighteners
    basline Material (Medium).JPG

Warning: Science Content is mixed with Sam Adams OktoberFest beer :beer:

First off the trail cam, or InfraRed (IR) pictures. We should not expect anything earth shattering since InfraRed is at the other of the light spectrum.

The before picture showed nothing but a huge flash blur
    IR BEFORE.JPG

The after picture shows the outline of the same t-shirt, without the starburst
    IR AFTER.JPG

The unexpected result: You can actually detect the outline of the t-shirt. To confirm this result, the test would need to be repeated without beer. (editor's note: Screw that, there is no fun in that!)

On to the UV baseline:
    UV Before (Medium).JPG

Notice the blurry pattern from the ISO400 speed?

Next we will examine the area applied with UV-Killer:
    SPF70 After (Medium).JPG

You can actually see the outline of the camo without the glare, Or my hand was steadier because I drank more beer. :innocent0

The wild card is the SPF70 sun tan lotion, I chose it due to it being the cheapest spray-on lotion that was on sale (there was no science involved, only frugality).
    UV-Killer After (Medium).JPG

I was surprised with this result, you can also see the outline of the Realtree AP camo. However, the drawback is the scent. If you want to attract 2-legged does, this is the stuff; 4-legged does, not so much...

Good Luck, and good hunting! :thumbsup:

I am going to have another beer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom