• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    One team, one fight.

I am all for open carry, but right now in Maryland that poses some serious issues. Let's just focus on concealed carry and getting Maryland to 'Shall Issue'.

Yep, I know, MSI has slipped from this goal and become a much bigger cause; good for them, good for us all.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    No, you don't "got it". Suffice it to say you have no clarity of what I am trying to get across.

If every CCW permit holder in Maryland were to carry "stupidly" as I put it and it benefits the greater good and affects change, then that's a good thing.
    HOWEVER that movement will never happen. I will give "stupid carry" a pass if it made change.

Now, for the carry lesson concealed v open.

You're in Arizona, right? Carry in a rural area, out in the "country", woods, etc... by all means, open carry. That's cool because many activities outside do not bode well carrying concealed.
    I say most (probably 90%) should cover their pistols when in the "city", in stores, malls, around many people, etc.... Why you ask? Well I'll tell you.

Your run-of-the-mill carrier is just that. Odds are they do not train in weapon retention. Their head is not on a swivel in condition "yellow" to be aware of gun grabs. They are paying attention SHOPPING or standing in line at a bank.
    Covering their weapon keeps eyes off of it and also gives them some help in a retention situation. It's only smart to do.
    Example.... a mother carrying her baby in a basket. Hands are full and someone grabs for her gun. Mommy ain't droppin' no baby and the bad guy has a gun now. This dynamic changes if it is in a state where many out in public are carrying. But this is maryland I am talking about.
    Pretty sure the OP could have snatched this guy's pistol while standing in line behind him at the bank. Not to dismiss he would have been the first targeted by a bad guy if someone committed to robbing the bank armed.

My everyday life and profession for the last 13 years revolves around carrying a gun concealed and watching people. These are my observations and experiences. Maybe my opinion about open carry is a bit more "intense" than general society's. Or I am just a dick. Most will say the latter.

I agree with all of this 100%. Can't really make the call if you are a dick or not, but you are correct!:)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    ***One team, one fight.***

I am all for open carry, but right now in Maryland that poses some serious issues. Let's just focus on concealed carry and getting Maryland to 'Shall Issue'.

Yep, I know, MSI has slipped from this goal and become a much bigger cause; good for them, good for us all.

Long as nobody takes the microphone right?!

;)

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    What about the aspect of OC being what stops a criminal from committing a crime.

What if the next person that came in the bank after the open carrier, actually was a bank robber and had planned to rob the place.

Maybe the bank gets robbed if this guy isn't OC'ing. Maybe if more permit holders WOULD OC maybe it would help our crime rate in this state.

The argument of not enough people OC in MD is not a reason not OC, it should be a reason to get more permit holders to OC so people start getting the memo here in MD OC is our right plain and simple.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    One team, one fight.

MSI hasn't really slipped from Shall Issue as a goal, MSI has added the entire 2A plate to its goals.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Can anyone enlighten me on open carry being "OK"(with permit) in MD. This is new to me.

My go to sites for this kind of info say this-

Handgunlaw.US: Open Carry (Without A Valid Permit/License)
    You must have a valid permit/license to legally carry any handgun in Maryland. Maryland is a May Issue state and open carrying a firearm even with a Maryland Permit/License would be frowned upon and open carrying would most likely be a valid reason for the state to revoke your carry Permit/License.

USACarry.com - Open Carry: Prohibited in most public areas

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I wonder if anyone with a MD permit is among those in this thread advocating an open carry test run to make a statement??? I will not join you, just curious that's all.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Can anyone enlighten me on open carry being "OK"(with permit) in MD. This is new to me.

My go to sites for this kind of info say this-

Handgunlaw.US: Open Carry (Without A Valid Permit/License)
    You must have a valid permit/license to legally carry any handgun in Maryland. Maryland is a May Issue state and open carrying a firearm even with a Maryland Permit/License would be frowned upon and open carrying would most likely be a valid reason for the state to revoke your carry Permit/License.

USACarry.com - Open Carry: Prohibited in most public areas

Neither site is considered authoritative. Maybe Gary will attest that he does the best he can with the information available.

The law makes no distinction as to manner of carry, so reading the actual statutes will help here. Neither is there a distinction made on the card itself.

You will, however, come across LEO of all colors and stripes in MD who firmly believe that CC is the law (or simply want to have them all concealed).

Mr H

Banana'd
    If open carry without a permit was legal in Maryland, would you do it?

I've said many times here that I prefer CC, but that's just me.

I am also on record that I advocate that anyone carry according to what they believe is best for their own situation.

I want OC to become more 'normalized'. There are ways to do this, but the climate isn't quite right for it, as you know.

But, in short, my answer is, "Not at this point, but I leave open the option."

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If open carry without a permit was legal in Maryland, would you do it?

In a NY minute, just as I do in other states where legal. If for some reason we woke up tomorrow and it was legal I would still carry a voice recorder with me for the first few months. Or years. Possibly a decade....

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

What many here go by is that if something is not written into a law, then it is not illegal. So if it does not say one SHALL NOT carry openly, then there is no law broken to be charged with.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There is no law stating that it is legal to ride a bike, there is a law making it illegal to ride on the interstate.

It's always been my understanding that laws define illegality.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There is no law stating that it is legal to ride a bike, there is a law making it illegal to ride on the interstate.

It's always been my understanding that laws define illegality.

Nope. No law saying one SHALL not open carry. There is also nothing that says one cannot be a test case for a disturbing the peace call to the police if someone puts up a fuss by seeing your openly carried weapon either.

Soooooooo, who would really put their permit on the line just to try a point?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Nope. No law saying one SHALL not open carry. There is also nothing that says one cannot be a test case for a disturbing the peace call to the police if someone puts up a fuss by seeing your openly carried weapon either.

Soooooooo, who would really put their permit on the line just to try a point?

You are, of course, correct on all counts.

But.......

There are likely ways, once the climate is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom