• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    mpdc, we have some mutual friends so the rib i give you is all in jest. you are trained and respected, but many on this here forum is not. why a ****ing .380 is beyond me. you expecting to get raped or something?

Hahahaha I actually didn't want it but it came as a package deal with a 642. I couldn't pass the deal up and it's just kind of been around. Its a great gun for MD hiking and stuff when animals aren't your area of concern.

The guy I bought it from is a cop who bought it for his wife hahahaha so the jokes are appropriate :)

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i had a student who showed up with a .380 LCP. told him he wasn't gonna hit poop at 15 to 25 yards. he said he had a S&W 40 but thought it too big to conceal. now he doesn't think like that and he likes it much better as a go to gun on the street. he handed the LCP off to his wife.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    i had a student who showed up with a .380 LCP. told him he wasn't gonna hit poop at 15 to 25 yards. he said he had a S&W 40 but thought it too big to conceal. now he doesn't think like that and he likes it much better as a go to gun on the street. he handed the LCP off to his wife.

With that trigger at 15 yards your attacker better be butter bean

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    norm, not disrespecting you but my question is this, if we teach wear/carry permit applicants to NOT escalate but to de-escalate situations, why would you be wanting to tempt fate? in our current climate with illegal gun violence, and the fvcking fruitcakes coming out to hurt people with guns, why would you want to put law enforcement in the position to make a determination of whether you are a good guy with a gun or some f8cking lunatic trying to make a point? the lunacy can expand to the point where you are putting yourself and others in jeopardy simply by making the point you are carrying "open". society does not agree with your point just as society doesn't agree with the the guy getting behind the wheel with three shots of grain in their system. if you want to carry open, by all means do so, but if i read about you in the news as a mistaken nutcase in a starbucks or walmart, i'll simply reflect on our discourse here and advise my students to examine your case or what NOT to do.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Here in Md given the current licensing scheme , a bank lobby probably has a higher density of carried handguns anywhere out side of a PD lockerroom. So given the location , and demeanor of the individual , probably a substantial likelyhood he was licensed.

If a person of that catagory were to ASK me , I could certainly have a conversation about possable overzealous administrative actions , and my opinions of various tactical aproaches. But if someone doesn't ask you , presume they are a big boy , and have made their own decisions.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    OMG , everyday I see people on the road doing stupid things . We need to require 100hrs of Driver Ed classroom instruction , and then there would be no idiots driving.

( Disclaimer - the above was sacrasm to make a point.)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I didn't read this thread, but:

I'm all for open carry; the more good guys walking around with guns, the better - and I don't care if the good guys (and gals) are on duty, off duty, in uniform or in their Sunday best. By uniform, I mean police officers, UPS delivery people, military, airline employees, teachers/administrators, business folks, Scout Leaders, retirees, any legitimate citizen with good judgement, some training, and a healthy respect for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Besides, nothing scares the hell out of a criminal more than seeing an armed citizen. :)

Having just stated what should be obvious, and common sense to everyone - until there are a lot of good folks carrying openly in public; I personally prefer concealed carry, it attracts less attention and could give you a tactical advantage in the face of imminent violence.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have OC'd here a time or two after working in VA all day and not throwing the shirt back over before stopping at the local gas and guzzle for a drink (iced tea) on the way home.

Non eventful, just like it was in VA.

I had an incident where myself and one of my employees were OC'ing in a California Pizza Kitchen in Arlington after they closed. We were on night four of a small remodel. Different manager than the first three nights. Guy was sitting on a bar stool watching us work and shooting the breeze, acting totally cool.

After about an hour he told us that he was going to leave but that the cleaning crew would be in and they would lock up. He even commented "I'm sure you guys will be okay alone here, you're both packing." Didn't think twice about it.

Come to find out the next day that this dick took a picture of me with gun visible and forwarded it to corporate via email and they had a cow.

photo5_zpsdcc2fed3.jpg

Gave me a chance to explain VA gun laws to the Massachusetts based contractor we were working for.

Other than that any comments made to me have been either favorable or inquisitive.....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I can't speak for every cop, but I was a cop in MD for 30 years, and if I ever stopped anyone who subsequently presented a valid handgun permit, down the road they went as long as they weren't breaking any other laws.

Open, concealed, who cares the permit says "Permit To Carry A Handgun." Think about it, 99% of security guards with permits are open carrying, yes, in uniform, but it is still open carry.

Yes, you might get stopped and questioned, but I do not believe you would be breaking the law.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    As a LEO for 26 yrs, I never open carried in plain clothes except on a crime scene or on a take-down. My badge was clipped to my shoulder holster or on my belt next to my holster. If you saw my weapon, you also saw my badge. In the 16 yrs since i retired, i normally carry a DeSantis fanny pack. Most LEOs recognize it, but "John Doe Citizens" do not. I have never been challenged.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I didn't read this thread, but:

I'm all for open carry; the more good guys walking around with guns, the better - and I don't care if the good guys (and gals) are on duty, off duty, in uniform or in their Sunday best. By uniform, I mean police officers, UPS delivery people, military, airline employees, teachers/administrators, business folks, Scout Leaders, retirees, any legitimate citizen with good judgement, some training, and a healthy respect for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Besides, nothing scares the hell out of a criminal more than seeing an armed citizen. :)

Having just stated what should be obvious, and common sense to everyone - until there are a lot of good folks carrying openly in public; I personally prefer concealed carry, it attracts less attention and could give you a tactical advantage in the face of imminent violence.

I agree with what you've so cogently stated. Until the public perception here in Maryland in particular that guns are not evil and to see one shouldn't make them sh*t their pants, it may not be in our best interests to walk into a bank, downtown Baltimore or a campus kegger with a weapon OC. I understand there's another side to the coin, but since everyone in Maryland votes, and those who are afraid of guns seem to vote more often and seemingly in higher numbers than the rest of us, desensitization is likely to be successful slowly, not in-your-face, much as we dislike that idea.

Sometimes I just want to tell people, "f*ck you, yes I'm carrying a gun, get over it" but I think that will backfire badly over time. I may feel differently tomorrow or next week.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The 4 CA recently ruled that merely OC'ing a firearm is not RAS for a Terry stop. But nothing would prevent an officer investigating you based on a "frightened" citizen reporting a "man with a gun." LEO's have a lot of leeway and discretion on this IMO. IANAL.

Be polite, and respectful if questioned. LE might need time to adjust as well. Fairfax County went through the same transition.. Hopefully it will end well. It's time to show MD residents that the mere open carry of a firearm is not a reason to panic. It will take time, especially if we ever get the right to carry without kissing the state's a$$.

I can dream can't I?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Desensitization and normalization will take time, no doubt. But baby steps are the key, as long as we treat it like it's supposed to be that way.

It's going to take a very long time if "we" are one of the ones making a scene about it. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom