• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgall

Aug 22, 2011
    Baltimore,MD
    So due to some unforseen financial situations, I find my self needing to sell my AR. The rifle is NOT an HBAR so any suggestions on how to sell it legally in Maryland?

LAFD80

Begginers luck!
    Apr 15, 2014
    Southern Maryland
    Maybe a trip to the local gunshop. Bob's Sunoco in Callaway has given me fair pricing in the past. You can always put it on consignment through their store as well.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Alternatively, unless the lower is a high $ brand (Noveske) you could possibly part it out for close to the same money and build it again in the future. Sell upper complete. Could sell trigger/stock/buffer+tube/grip/etc as a build kit too. Basically everything BUT the receiver (I'd keep the bolt catch in the receiver because its a PITA to get in or out.) Just throwing out options...

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    The only thing you can do, is find an out of state buyer, and ship it to their FFL, or an in state FFL who will do that for you.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    Parting it out while retaining a pre 10/1 regulated lower would give you more options in the future that may overcome the extra time and effort needed to sell the separate components. +1 smdub's great idea.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Plus 1 on parting it out to save the lower.

Get what you can for the complete upper and then sell stock, tube and buffer. Keep as much of the lower as possible for a later project. And then if the bottom falls that far out... sell the lower out of state.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Plus 1 on parting it out to save the lower.

Get what you can for the complete upper and then sell stock, tube and buffer. Keep as much of the lower as possible for a later project. And then if the bottom falls that far out... sell the lower out of state.

Concur... if you stay in the state, once it's gone, it's gone and you will never be able to replace it. Keep the lower if you can. Good luck.

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    I agree, part it out. You can get decent money off of the rest of the parts. You cannot replace that lower!!!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    As echoed above; that lower is irreplaceable so long as you're a MD resident and until the laws get changed. Sell everything else and buy it back when you're more financially secured.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    When thinking about whether to part it out or sell it whole - I would definitely not assume the HBAR exception is going to be there forever. So if you lose the receiver, you don't just lose out on having a pencil barrel forever - you also may lose out on having any kind of AR forever. So even if you are thinking - "Ah, I will just get an HBAR later and that is fine for me" make sure you realize that even that option is really not guaranteed forever.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I sold mine out of state on Gunbroker. Just have them send the FFL info and put a printout of your drivers license with the package when you send it off.

I also sold a handgun out of state on gunbroker. As long as its going to an FFL should be no issues.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    OP: As a reminder, lower receivers are really only worth around $50-$90 in the rest of America. You wouldn't lose much at all if you parted out the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom