• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Greetings, first post. Looking for a Kimper Pro Carry to add to the collection. Do any new Kimbers come from the factory with the (MD required) fired shell case? Or do I need to go the FFL route? Thanks

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you're doing any sort of new handgun purchase in the state of MD, you're going to need an FFL. That's a separate question from the Kimber thing.

As far as I know, no Kimbers come with casings from the factory.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Kimber doesn't play well with Maryland. I searched for quite a while for the PERFECT Ultra II (used, but basically new/unfired).

Let me also say that it is not a circumvention of the law if someone from out of state buys it for you as a gift, hence making it "used" when you get it.

That being said, I went with the less grey area method of buying a "new/used" piece.

I assumed from your wording you were asking if you would need an FFL to fire the gun for the state database? That would be correct if you are buying new.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That sounds like a borderline straw purchase right there

Nah, it's not. It's a family member buying a handgun and giving it to you as a gift.

(or)

Someone buying a handgun, then after a few hundred rounds deciding it wasn't their cup of tea or their life situation changes and a gun isn't top on their priorities anymore.

It's only illegal if there is intent, which, in both of my proposed scenarios,.... there is not.;)

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    if you buy it online new, transfer it through a ffl that can do the shell casing for you. if used, its not a problem anyway.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Greetings, first post. Looking for a Kimper Pro Carry to add to the collection. Do any new Kimbers come from the factory with the (MD required) fired shell case? Or do I need to go the FFL route? Thanks

Nope - Kimbers do not ship with a fired shell case!

If the gun is new, and coming from out of state, your FFL has to be authorized to fire, and supply the case. I went through this with mine. Not sure if gunshops in MD who are authorized Kimber dealers, already fire them to supply them or not. You would need to check with your dealer.

Dont forget you need to purchase or supply the State authorized bore lock - usally the Omega lock.

If you are looking for a Kimber - check out Kentucky Gun Co. I highly recommend them.

www.kygunco.com

Those guys gave me a great deal, and great customer service. There price were alot better then most shops. They are a Kimber MASTER dealer. If you order it from them, online they will pay the shipping to your FFL. If you go through there Gunbroker.com listings, you pay $25.00 for shippng - probably to cover the cost of posting on Gunbroker.com

You may also want to state what part of the state you are from. My local gunshop - Sang Run Sports - does the fired shell case -right in the back of there shop. They only charged me $8.00 for that.

And just to conclude on the fired case & Kimbers :

Attachments

• NSCEFMDNY.jpg
      NSCEFMDNY.jpg
      171.4 KB · Views: 180

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've been in MD forever (well 56 years anyway LOL) and have a fair number of handguns( ;)). Was looking to add a few more to the collection and thought about a Kimber Super Carry Pro 45. I was just trying to understand whether Kimber ships any pistols with fired cases. Agreed, I can go to a 07 FFL and have them take care of it. Just trying to catch up on Kimber. I also have a NIB TLE and a NIB Carry Pro that I bought years ago, perhaps before the 2000 fired shell case law went into effect, but it sure seems like after 2000. Time sure flys... Yep, I have Omega locks for .45 and 9mm, and a couple SA 1911 locks. I'm in Southern Md.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks for the tip on Kentucky Gun Co. I think everything I've purchased in the last 6-7 years has been from Gunbroker.com. Also, not sure why I didn't do this in the past, just submitted my 'collector' application with the MSP to avoid the BS '1 regulated gun per 30 day' regulation. Should have done that long ago.

Thanks all
    John

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Just an update, Kentucky Gun Co. was very responsive, but is presently out of the Kimber I'm looking for. They do not offer a 'fired shell case' service for weapons that don't come with a fired case. I have a line on a NIB "pre owned" Super Pro Carry. We'll see what happens. thanks

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Wait a sec! Did I misunderstand this thread? You can buy a used handgun from out of State (one that's presumably never had a case logged in the MD database), have it transferred through an FFL, and not have to have a fired casing done for it? If that's true, then the whole casing law is even dumber than I already thought it was.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    No fired case requirement on a pre-owned pistol. Including NIB pre-owned

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Wait a sec! Did I misunderstand this thread? You can buy a used handgun from out of State (one that's presumable never had a case logged in the MD database), have it transferred through an FFL, and not have to have a fired casing done for it? If that's true, then the whole casing law is even dumber than I already thought it was.

Correct. I have a Kimber, for all intents in was NIB, I'm not sure it was ever fired, but, it was OWNED by someone else (In PA). :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom