• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok, so I have my JP scope mount on the way. I was reading the specs and they recommend 29 inch pounds for the rail, and 24 for the rings. Now, where do I find a decent in /lb torque wrench that I can dial in to those numbers that doesn't cost a ton of money?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I just bought one from Home Depot. Think it was $65.
    I think Lowes would have it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm sure someone would be willing to loan one out for a short bit as well. ;)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I would not trust a Chicom torque wrench. The BMW airhead (as in aircooled boxer engine) crowd worry about torque a great deal with steel fasteners threaded into an aluminum block.

Torque wrenches can be out of calibration right out of the box. I always check mine before torquing head bolts (expensive fix if you strip the threads because you need a jig to accurately install helicoils.
    Do not mistake foot-pounds for inch-pounds.
    Do not loosen fasteners with your torque wrench
    Turn the torque wrench back to 0 before storage

Snowbum is the most verbose BMW guru around, about 1/2 down the article he discusses wrenches and how to calibrate:
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/torquespecs&problems.htm

Some interesting links here and a "study" of the accuracy of the author's friends torque wrenches.
    http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_3.htm

I have a Sears clicker, which I do not see online anymore.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    H.F., is the cheap alternative. Wheeler Fat is better.

I use both, the H,F, model is good for about 1 year before it gives up the ghost. They cost $20.00 at full retail, with a coupon they are half that. H.F. will replace it once its out of calibration, lifetime warranty.

I test mine to ensure calibration.

I have both because the FAT only tightens, the H.F. is reversible and can be used to test.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Maybe if you had (even a vague) location with your avatar someone nearby might be willing to loan one.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    If you ever need a torque wrench calibrated, I recommend using Angle Repair Service in Beckley WV. Calibration for 1/2" drive and smaller is $25.

Here's the deal. Until my company sold us out, I worked for Easco / K-D Tools more recently known as Danaher Tool Group. We were sold out to another tool company in 2010. We were at a distribution center in Hanover. I was there 23 years running the Return Tools Department. I personally dealt with all of the repairs that came in. We were using Angle for the torque wrench repairs. I did not have the test equipment to do them.

Here's something you don't know. KD Tools used to make the torque wrenches for Craftsman, Matco (part of the parent company), Mac Tools and Snap On. Yes....that's right. We made the Snap On ones too.
    So, they all went to Angle Repair for service, whether I sent them there or a truck dealer sent them there. Angle was (and still is) the official warranty repair center for us (now Apex Tool Group) as well as many other brands.

My personal advice would be to stay away from imported digital and all beam torque wrenches. Bad news.

Here is Angle's website:
    http://anglerepair.com/

Last edited:

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I use one by Wiha which has served me well and many of the families we shoot with use one by anschutz. The Wiha I have (285 06) adjusts between 10-50 in lbs and the anschutz Btwn 34-102 in lbs.

The Wiha line has several options adjustable Btwn different limits as well as options calibrated to NM instead of inch pounds

---
    Shamr0ck

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have a Wheeler FAT wrench and mounting tools for 1" and 30mm. I'm in the Northern St. Mary's area. I see you're a SCSC member, so you can't be too far away. :thumbsup:

PM me if you want that thing mounted.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other place it is good to have a torque wrench is for bolt action rifles, to torque the screws that hold the action in. Some rifles are VERY sensitive to action mounting torque.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Wheeler Fat Wrench works great. You can get from Midway or in person from Bass Pro.

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    I think Wheeler makes a scope setup kit that includes one. Was around 85 bucks and had that and much more. It came with the calibration certificate.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I got the Wheeler Fat Wrench kit with the alignment bars, lapper, levelers, etc., and it was the best 100 bucks I ever spent. I torque bases at around 30 in/lbs. and rings around 25. Everything has held "0" so far with no complaints.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I picked up a field torque set (MG17) from Borka Tools in a group buy a few years ago. It has fit any need I have had for consistent torque settings on various gun parts, and it rides around nicely in my range bag. The variety of bits are nice to have in the range bag even when a specific torque setting is not necessary.

http://www.shooterstools.com/Pages/MTD/mtdkits.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom