• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Seems like my left knee doesn't want me in the woods anymore this year. I can walk on level ground (kind of), but getting out into the woods tonight ended up with me not getting to my stand and turning around and almost having to crawl the last 30 yards, back to my house. I could probably make it another couple of days if I took my meds, but I don't think I want to be climbing nor hunting with a crossbow being under the influence. I may be able to make it into the woods after the first of the year, but that may be a little too ambitious.

So,hopefully the 2 10 pointers and the giant 8 pointer live for another year and I get another shot at them next year.

Good hunting to all and may you keep your powder dry!
    Jim Smith

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I know the feeling all too well, total replacement of the left knee and now the right knee is acting up with a banker (sp) cyst that burst and doubled the size of my right leg.

Hope you are doing better than me.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I know the feeling all too well, total replacement of the left knee and now the right knee is acting up with a banker (sp) cyst that burst and doubled the size of my right leg.

Hope you are doing better than me.

I had my pre-op doctor's appointment today and he moved it in unnatural ways that just took it's toll. He also gave me another cortisone shot in my other knee, just so I can make it through therapy. The right knee will be replaced sometime next year, maybe June. I'll be out of work until at least January with this knee, then I'll go back to work for 6 months and then I'll be off again for the other knee.

I really enjoyed playing lacrosse as a kid. Never thought I'd have this much trouble now.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Seems like my left knee doesn't want me in the woods anymore this year. I can walk on level ground (kind of), but getting out into the woods tonight ended up with me not getting to my stand and turning around and almost having to crawl the last 30 yards, back to my house. I could probably make it another couple of days if I took my meds, but I don't think I want to be climbing nor hunting with a crossbow being under the influence. I may be able to make it into the woods after the first of the year, but that may be a little too ambitious.

So,hopefully the 2 10 pointers and the giant 8 pointer live for another year and I get another shot at them next year.

Good hunting to all and may you keep your powder dry!
    Jim Smith

Hope you get to feeling better soon. my knees are really starting to bother me too, HOWEVER if the 2 10 pointers and the giant 8 pointer really just get on your last nerve, just let me know and ill be happy to take care of them for you. :innocent0 :D just sayin....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Hope you get to feeling better soon. my knees are really starting to bother me too, HOWEVER if the 2 10 pointers and the giant 8 pointer really just get on your last nerve, just let me know and ill be happy to take care of them for you. :innocent0 :D just sayin....

The wife and I have this standing argument about the deer. We moved in a little more than 2 years ago. She got to enjoy them the first fall and I let her have them again last fall, but I told her, they are mine this year. So, I don't know (in my wife's mind) what our agreement will be for next year. If that giant 8 pointer continues to grow like he has over the last 2 years, he's going to be spectacular next year.

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good luck with your surgery and be sure to take your pain meds as directed before your PT sessions. Very important.
    Next year they may be 12 pointers!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Feel better soon. Hope your surgery goes well.

Bad knees suck. I'm not sure I would have done the sports thing any other way growing up... That said, I might have done it with a touch less vigor. Maybe not. Who knew??

I echo the offer to help you with your excess venison problem and hope you'll at least post pics this year or next year.

Good luck. Take it easy, literally.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    sorry to hear that, hope you heal up quick. and get you PT appointment in ASAP...if not you can end up having more troubles...as my wife did with her shoulder surgery..Good luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks, I've got 10 days of in house PT and I already have my outpatient PT set up. We're going to get this one right, so I can have the other knee done around June 2015.

I was too chicken to have them both done at the same time. Plus the wife needs to work so I can still keep up with my hobbies...That bang you heard was a frying pan coming into contact with my head.

Thanks Again!
    Jim Smith

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Go all Afghan sniper wannabe on those deer from your house.

Or go Mogadishu on them. "Bambi Be Down".

Don't give up and do get well.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Go all Afghan sniper wannabe on those deer from your house.

Or go Mogadishu on them. "Bambi Be Down".

Don't give up and do get well.

I was thinking a suppressed 308 could work...yeah, that's the ticket...

Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

That would be cool, but my land is kinda hard to get to by vehicle. I'm just hoping I'll be able to make it up and down my steps, much less out in the woods. But ya never know what a late season turn around could do for me. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worse.

Thanks to all,
    Jim Smith

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I had the right knee replaced after it collapsed from 30years of no cartilage.
    If you are going to have BOTH knees replaced, do them BOTH at the same time. The recovery time for 2 at once is a a lot less than the total of doing them consecutively.
    Hurt me once and get it over with!

As far as hunting from a vehicle----
    Years ago my first wife's father had part of a lung removed. He was still in bandages and had no use of his left arm. His hunt club buddies took him along to West Va. for a hunt. All the way there (they drove HIS car) everyone was ribbing him that it was time to sell them his rifle and fishing rod as he would have no more use of them.
    Everyone else left Marcus at the car as walking was still hard for him. While they were out getting no where, a deer came to the edge of the clearing. It totally ignored him. So he quietly got out and pulled his Marlin .32 from the trunk. The deer still grazed at the edge of the clearing so he quietly chambered a round and one handed he braced the but stock on the B pillar of his70 Plymouth and dropped him!
    When his buddies got back to the car empty handed Marcus had driven the car over to the deer, managed to get a rope over a tree branch and used the car to hang it. He had even dressed it one handed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom