• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I'm looking to get my son certified as an armorer for AR first then get him certs for other firearms next year. Anyone have any recommendations and or experiences for schools?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The SIG classes are good. They usually discount the ones in the winter at the Exeter NH location.

A warning: the gun is black, the work surface is black and the floor is black tile with black rubber mats! Dropping small parts can be a real PIA!

Lots of nice local restaurants. I flew in to Manchester NH using Southwest and stayed in a hotel near the coast. Made for a great weekend.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Check with clandestine. From what I've heard from DaemonAssassin it is a great course. DaemonAssassin could tell you more

According to the fine print, its for educational purposes only and not for certification. Otherwise I would send him there.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I had someone else say that Academi was a decent place with schools located in different areas.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Which brings foryth the question , is he looking for knowledge or aa Piece of Paper.?

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Which brings foryth the question , is he looking for knowledge or aa Piece of Paper.?

Both hopefully....owning a shop gives him plenty of material to practice with but being certified carries weight as well.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    About the only armorers classes I can say with certainty will allow someone to attend with no affiliation with law enforcement or government is the classes taught at Academi.

Several years ago I was trying to get a job over seas as an armorer and a separate job with TSA as an armorer where you needed a factory armorer class for the H&K USP.

As retired military I had no problem with Beretta, H&K and Glock. Colt would not let me attend their class, they were restricted to active military or nuclear security although one guy I met was going to their class and was hoping to sneak by with using his CAC card, he was a contractor for AECOM.

Academi will take anyone who pays and their classes are okay for the basics, but nothing great. I took their 1911 and AR-15 Armorer class. Their manuals were pretty good, I still have them as references.

I also took the Knights Armament SR-25 class and I believe they had students there who were like me, trying to accumulate enough qualifications to get hired.

Remington I believe also will take "civilians" as armorer class students but with their impending move, I don't know if they are doing them any more.

Colt was the only one that flat out refused to let me attend. Which really pissed me off because the class was over in Calvert and the guy running it was happy to let me attend but the Colt rep squashed that real quickly.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I had someone else say that Academi was a decent place with schools located in different areas.

If you can get him in to Clandestines AR build class, I guarantee he will learn more about the AR there than in an Academi class.

We stripped them down till there was just the barrel left in the receiver. We didn't actually remove and reinstall the barrels, they demonstrated that on one rifle.

Academis classes are not really a "certification" either, at least for the AR. Most companies who are hiring armorers want a factory certification, that's what carries "weight".

Now, they were doing Glock classes there and talking about Mossberg armorer classes as well and they would be factory certifications, but unless specified as factory certifications, they are not.

Edit: Looks like Academi is offering Tavor, Mossberg and Colt armorer schools. I would still be willing to be Colt's policy has not changed though.

https://www.academi.com/training-courses/course-title/mossberg-shotgun-armorer/overview

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I could take the manufactures armorer classes since I'm LEO but I'm trying to get him a headstart since he's young and I'm old.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I could take the manufactures armorer classes since I'm LEO but I'm trying to get him a headstart since he's young and I'm old.

He can try to call the different companies and see if they will accept someone who is not affiliated with a LEO agency or military. When I called all the places I told them up front I was retired military and looking for a job overseas. I figured not being active duty would freeze me out but it wasn't a problem with any of them.

Be warned though, it can be a significant investment in time and money with little to no return.

I burned through all my vacation days and a good bit of personal money and did get a call back when I applied to a job with Academi, only they were U.S Training Center then, and they were very interested in me but the State Department shot me down, no pun intended, due to a lack of experience. Just having the certs wasn't enough.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    The SIG classes are good. They usually discount the ones in the winter at the Exeter NH location.

A warning: the gun is black, the work surface is black and the floor is black tile with black rubber mats! Dropping small parts can be a real PIA!

Lots of nice local restaurants. I flew in to Manchester NH using Southwest and stayed in a hotel near the coast. Made for a great weekend.

Siq Sauer Academy at Epping New Hampshire will take non-LEO folks. They will require a background check. A current Concealed Carry Permit will satisfy requirement. Courses they teach off site are often restricted. Certified Sig Armorer for Sig Classic Pistols, Sig 1911and A400/AR-15/M-16 via Sig Academy. Added benefit is I can do work on Sig Weapons like Sig DAK and SRT trigger kits and warranty not voided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom