• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    At the range on Friday was having trouble with the Desert Eagle cycling rounds. After checking everything I determined it was the flat tip ammo not feeding properly. Any suggestions for non flat tip .357 mag ammo?

Attachments

• DE 2.jpg
      DE 2.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 352

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Maybe the rounds are too short and hanging up on the magazine lip, feed ramp or inside the magazine. The feed ramp might need polishing. Have you tried different magazines? Presumably you've ruled out a slide-related spring problem. Maybe you got a dud box of ammo or the powder charge is too weak to cycle the slide reliably.

If you're asking for factory-loaded LRN or FMJ RN .357 Mag ammo, the only one I'm aware of is Armscor 158gr FMJ.
    https://us.armscor.com/ammo/357-magnum/

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Maybe the rounds are too short and hanging up on the magazine lip, feed ramp or inside the magazine. The feed ramp might need polishing. Have you tried different magazines? Presumably you've ruled out a slide-related spring problem. Maybe you got a dud box of ammo or the powder charge is too weak to cycle the slide reliably.

If you're asking for factory-loaded LRN or FMJ RN .357 Mag ammo, the only one I'm aware of is Armscor 158gr FMJ.
    https://us.armscor.com/ammo/357-magnum/

Tried different brand of ammo, same thing. I think their getting hung up on the feed ramp.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I had the same problem with my Henry 357.The original ammo I used, Southern Arms bulk ammo, had a sharp transition to the flat area. I went to Federal ammo which had a rounder transition to the flat tip and eliminated the problem.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Semi wadcutters (with the ledge on them), have been a nono for feeding in my Winchester. I go black hills and the like now with no issues.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When you say flat top, are you talking truncated cone or semi-wadcutter bullets? I have 700+ rounds of jacketed flat points that wouldn't feed in my Rossi 92. JHPs and round nose flat points were not a problem.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Last night I ordered 5 different brands and types so I guess I'll see how it goes next time. I was also having feed problems with my Henry so hopefully I'll find something that will work for that also. Hornady has a special lever action load which is one of the ones I've ordered, only problem is they're expensive. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/handgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104372280/hornady-reg-leverevolution-174-for-revolvers-and-lever-guns/740253.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhandgun-ammunition%2Fhornady%2F_%2FN-1100189%2B1000003666%2B4294758963%2FNe-1000003666%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104372280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Had similar feed issues with a lever-action .357 rifle and truncated cone bullets. I tried Sellier & Bellot FMJ ball ammo and nary a problemo. Bitterroot also sells plain lead round-nose loads that work great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom