MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    PiedPiperObama.gif

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Trying to get the agenda for this evening and not getting a response via email or phone from the admin.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I planned on finally coming out to this meeting but due to the negative comments on my actual research findings (I however did get some positive feedback in PM's) I have lost interest so Thanks to all involved and keep up the good fight ...

Its a very good find..

Many here including myself have stopped dropping in on this thread..

With the understanding that we have no real voice at the hearing.. and the fact that I am so far behind I may never catch up..

I intend to try to make it and hope you will as well..

I forgot the time... is it 18:00..

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Its a very good find..

Many here including myself have stopped dropping in on this thread..

With the understanding that we have no real voice at the hearing.. and the fact that I am so far behind I may never catch up..

I intend to try to make it and hope you will as well..

I forgot the time... is it 18:00..

Technically, you are correct, but there have been changes made from comments directed at board members and other officials in attendance. You may not have a formal venue to voice your opinions, but "they" are watching and listening.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Anyone who can lend a hand, I need more storage in my dropbox acct to host the HPRB meeting audio recordings. Please set up a dropbox acct and we will both get extra space. You must download the app and install on your mobile device or computer for us to benefit. You do not have to do anything else. Use the link below.

Thanks.

https://db.tt/kauqEKu1

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Anyone who can lend a hand, I need more storage in my dropbox acct to host the HPRB meeting audio recordings. Please set up a dropbox acct and we will both get extra space. You must download the app and install on your mobile device or computer for us to benefit. You do not have to do anything else. Use the link below.

Thanks.

I already have a drop box account or I would. Or can you do more than one?

makijo

May 31, 2013
    Catonsville

Thanks.

I did this to help you out but I cannot run the installer here at work, I will have to do it when I get home tonight...this probably won't help tonight will it???

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Were any of you actually alive in 1972 and remember the political climate at the time? :sad20:

Yes... and my brother and I were childhood friends of Walter Weikers' son... I still run in to him occasionally... :)

ETA... Speak of the Devil... Look who posted ahead of me...:cool:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    so in 1972 when the md ga passed wear and carry law, the original dangerous weapon law from 1874 stayed in effect for other dangerous weapons like knives and razors.
    that means 1972 wear and carry law with "reasonable precaution" co existed at the same time as 1874 "reasonable precaution" and its definitions.

from 1972 though well into the 1990s anyone with a question about what "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" meant with regards to good and substantial could look the the reasons in the remaining dangerous weapons law of 1894.

here a 1991 case of a suspected drug dealer carring a.concealed razor knife that was overturned because no criminal intent was found
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/1992754328Md426_1724/ANDERSON v. STATE

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Technically, you are correct, but there have been changes made from comments directed at board members and other officials in attendance. You may not have a formal venue to voice your opinions, but "they" are watching and listening.

I have been at this from the very first meeting and in no way want to suggest folks not attend.. My point was to set expectations..

Lots of informal discussion.. but I don't think anyone should get the idea that they will have a chance to speak formally..

Still I hope everyone and anyone who can shows up every chance they get.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    legislative finding (intent)
    md law criminal 4-202
    adopted 2002

The General Assembly finds that:
    (1) the number of violent crimes committed in the State has increased alarmingly in recent years;
    (2) a high percentage of violent crimes committed in the State involves the use of handguns;
    (3) the result is a substantial increase in the number of deaths and injuries largely traceable to the carrying of handguns in public places by criminals;
    (4) current law has not been effective in curbing the more frequent use of handguns in committing crime; and
    (5) additional regulations on the wearing, carrying, and transporting of handguns are necessary to preserve the peace and tranquility of the State and to protect the rights and liberties of the public.

im having difficulty finding the 1972 equivalent of this language.

And I'm having difficulty following the logic of (5) in relation to (1-4) in anything this side of fantasy or delusion. Criminals aren't obeying current law, so we need more laws.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm going to have to back out tonight. Work has me beat and I'm not feeling well. Wife is at home sick too.

Thanks to everyone!

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    And I've picked up a Tuesday night commitment that will run pretty much through next June with some exceptions. I'll still kibitz and offer suggestions, kudos and brickbats as things mutate.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    And I'm having difficulty following the logic of (5) in relation to (1-4) in anything this side of fantasy or delusion. Criminals aren't obeying current law, so we need more laws.

im reading another case right now. the confusion between the court and the appeals court is determining if the person has a criminal intent. is he carrying a weapon to protect himself or to rob someone? it seems it became difficult to prove intent until after a crime occurred.
    "burden of proof in an affirmative defense"

people jumping through the hoops and background checks to get a permit arent doing it to turn around and commit street muggings. so anyone without a permit is carrying illegally to to more illegal stuff.

it almost kinda makes twisted sense.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Was hoping to make it again tonight guys but I am still at my office. The show will be over by the time I could get there. :(

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    gunther v state (1962)
    interesting case for sure dealing with reasonable precaution in 1962

Specifically, we think the court, instead of informing the jury that if the defendant prepared for and provoked the affray he could not assert the right of self-defense, should have advised the jury that if it believed that the defendant was not seeking a fight with his brother-in-law, but on the contrary was apprehensive that he might be attacked by him, then the defendant, under such circumstances, would have a right to arm himself in anticipation of the assault. See Perkins on Criminal Law, at p. 48, where the author, in citing State v. Bristol, 84 P.2d 757 (Wyo. 1938), says that "[o]ne who is not in any sense seeking an encounter, but has reason to fear an unlawful attack upon his life, does not forfeit his privilege of self-defense merely by arming himself in advance." See also Gourko v. United States, 153 U.S. 183 (1894); Thompson v. United States, 155 U.S. 271 (1894); Hochheimer, Crimes and Criminal Procedure (2nd ed.), § 344; Wharton, The Law of Homicide (3rd ed.), § 324; 30 Corpus Juris, Homicide, §§ 222 and 223; and the cases cited in 40 C.J.S., Homicide, § 120, fn. 87. And see Code (1957), Art. 27, § 36 (b), where the carrying and wearing of a concealed weapon by any person "as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" is expressly excepted from the provisions of the statute regulating concealed weapons.

On the subsidiary point that the right of the defendant to go wherever he legally had a right to go was not abridged by the fact that he might be attacked, see Barnes v. State, 93 So.2d 863 (Fla. 1957). And cf. Torrez v. State, 204 S.W. 228 (Tex. Cr. 1918), and Lett v. State, 56 So. 5 (Ala. 1911). See also 26 Am. Jur., Homicide, § 148, where it is said that "[n]o generally recognized rule of law deprives one who expects an attack to be made upon him of going places where he otherwise has a legal right to go."

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1987893/gunther-v-state/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom