• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Just got my ccw renewal (this is my first renewal).

They didn't bother calling references this time nor did they call me.

They took the full 90 business days to get it to me though.

br3krj

Libertarian Conservative
    Oct 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Just got my ccw renewal (this is my first renewal). They didn't bother calling references this time nor did they call me. They took the full 90 business days to get it to me though.

Did you have any restrictions and if so, did they change on the renewal?

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I just got my fourth renewal last Monday. The restrictions stayed the same. I still can't carry while working, just any other time. The only thing that changed is the line added to the front that states:"If expired, contact MSP prior to arrest." On all of my renewals, they never have rechecked references of re conducted an interview.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Renewals are pretty straightforward. Just have to provide all the original paperwork that was required for the initial permit. They usually don't contact references and have never called me back in for an interview. They usually do wait until about a week or so before the permit expires to send out the renewal.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Restriction changed from "transporting business currency" to "actively involved in financial business transaction"

I am the owner so always actively involved.

I just got my renewal with a similar restriction phrase. I have sent a letter to MSP to define the term "while actively involved in financial business transactions as President of same". What does this mean? If I'm taking a deposit to the bank (actively involved) but as soon as I make the deposit and on my way back to the business I'm no longer actively involved or am I? So I'm waiting for them to define the scope of the restriction. I will report back. Chris

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Just got my ccw renewal (this is my first renewal).

They didn't bother calling references this time nor did they call me.

They took the full 90 business days to get it to me though.

It says you're in VA. I'm assuming you're not referring to a VA CHP.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I just got my fourth renewal last Monday. The restrictions stayed the same. I still can't carry while working, just any other time. The only thing that changed is the line added to the front that states:"If expired, contact MSP prior to arrest." On all of my renewals, they never have rechecked references of re conducted an interview.

What was your reason for obtaining the wear and carry permit. Most renewals now is for work related reasons. You can carry anytime?

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I work in public safety/law enforcement but do not have powers of arrest. I probably receive anywhere from one to a dozen threats against my life a week.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Do you need to get fingerprinted for renewal? I also see classes being offered for renewal. Are these necessary?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Do you need to get fingerprinted for renewal? I also see classes being offered for renewal. Are these necessary?

Yes to both. Finger prints must be Livescan now and as part of 281 there is a 8 hour class with live fire. Plus one must complete application online and submit a printed copy no more hand written. MSP also have on their site that it's 90 business days for application not 90 days as before. Chris

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I work in public safety/law enforcement but do not have powers of arrest. I probably receive anywhere from one to a dozen threats against my life a week.

Thanks, It's just getting harder to get as everyone here already knows. They did include my second business this time which they had always excluded for no reason before.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I just got my renewal with a similar restriction phrase. I have sent a letter to MSP to define the term "while actively involved in financial business transactions as President of same". What does this mean? If I'm taking a deposit to the bank (actively involved) but as soon as I make the deposit and on my way back to the business I'm no longer actively involved or am I? So I'm waiting for them to define the scope of the restriction. I will report back. Chris

Good luck getting them to put it in writing. I requested it after being told verbally that I was covered in every scenario I gave them. I said well if that is true you won't have a problem sending me that in an email. The Cpl. said "Sure I will email it to you". The email never arrived. I requested a modification of my restrictions in writing, they promptly denied it. Again they verbally said I was covered. I appealed the modification denial and had a meeting up at MSP in Pikesville. I gave numerous scenarios during that meeting and finally when I came up with one where he wasn't sure I was covered I said well I need to be covered in that situation for obvious reasons. He said "I think I can work with that". 7 days later I had my modified restrictions permit arrive in the mail. If you find the restrictions unclear or overly restrictive don't give up, follow the process. Keep in mind ALL of your arguments have to be about $$$$$, (taxable revenue), they don't give a sh1t about your personal safety.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Good luck getting them to put it in writing. I requested it after being told verbally that I was covered in every scenario I gave them. I said well if that is true you won't have a problem sending me that in an email. The Cpl. said "Sure I will email it to you". The email never arrived. I requested a modification of my restrictions in writing, they promptly denied it. Again they verbally said I was covered. I appealed the modification denial and had a meeting up at MSP in Pikesville. I gave numerous scenarios during that meeting and finally when I came up with one where he wasn't sure I was covered I said well I need to be covered in that situation for obvious reasons. He said "I think I can work with that". 7 days later I had my modified restrictions permit arrive in the mail. If you find the restrictions unclear or overly restrictive don't give up, follow the process. Keep in mind ALL of your arguments have to be about $$$$$, (taxable revenue), they don't give a sh1t about your personal safety.

I know you posted it here before but what is your restriction state?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I know you posted it here before but what is your restriction state?

Same as others but includes "and while transporting valuables". I deal with fires, tree falls, and other things that make homes and businesses uninhabitable. Often the owner of the home or business is in another state or another country hence the urgent need for my help. In those instances I may be called upon to secure the structure, remove valuables, etc. No $$$ may be involved initially and I may have nothing more than someones word over the phone late at night. In this instance "the actively involved in business financial transactions" would have been questionable in my mind and the Troopers. This led to the approved modifications.

One word of advice for anyone requesting the modifications; be prepared to appeal the denial to your initial request. When you show up for what will be a very short meeting be prepared with paperwork/documentation and numerous examples that will make them question their own restrictions. If you can't provide real scenarios that are related to your business but fall outside your restrictions you will fail IMHO.

The strange part is over the phone they will say you are covered in nearly any situation you give them but they sure don't seem willing to put that in writing. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom