• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Northern Va residents aren't really much different from Md residents of Md's DC suburbs. It's just that three jurisdictions in Md ( PG , Mont , and Balt City ) have enough concentrated population to control the entire state by themselves. In Va the rest of the state has enough population to balance out NVa , plus certain areas of Richmond and Tidewater. For now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The roster board only applies to handguns offered for sale in the state of MD. If they remain in another state, you need not do anything so far as MD law is concerned. If you bring any handguns into MD that were manufactured after 1985 and are NOT on the handgun roster, you cannot sell them to another MD resident. You can still own them. You are free to buy mags in a free state and bring them to MD, but you cannot transfer, sell, or offer them for sale in the state of MD.

There is the caveat about "assault pistols" isn't there?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wait a minute...people coming into Maryland have to register their guns? When did that happen?? I guess you were asleep last year when they passed the Firearms Safety Act of 2013.

Is there any charge for this? No

Do the guns have to be inspected? No

What happens if a gun isn't on the state's okay list? Like a Raven or a Jennings? No problem, except you can't sell them to another person.

What if one's handguns are in another state? Talk to a lawyer, they are still your firearms.

Also, what happens if one buys a hi-cap magazine in a free state and brings it into Maryland?Is that illegal? Perfectly legal, which makes the law even more stupid.

Finally, years ago there were a bunch of issues that scared liberals silly. One was plastic guns that could evade metal detectors and another was so-called cop-killer bullets that could penetrate Kevlar vests. The first issue died when the idiots actually looked into the issue and figured out there was nothing there. The second issue has died down, but are there any restrictions on such ammo in Maryland? (I have some copper-clad lead ammo, but I don't think that's restricted.) No in MD

Someone in the armed forces isn't subject to the HQL requirements, but I don't know whether he can buy guns in a state he's not an official resident of.According to Federal law, an active duty military person can buy firearms in either the state of the official residence and the state where they are assigned with PCS orders.

Answers in Red

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    The M79, M203, & Penn Arms 40mm launchers are available as registered Destructive Devices under the NFA. As far as the rounds are concerned, no HE grenades are generally available, but you can purchase 40mm buckshot, flares and training rounds. The beehive or hornet's nest multibarreled 22s are pretty fun.
    Fair enough, id still argue that other than in some fat cat rich guy's collection, there are statistically zero, Like Gattling guns.

mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    Wait a minute...people coming into Maryland have to register their guns? When did that happen??

According to SB281 you are required to register your firearms within 90 days of entering the state if you intend to become a resident. That sucks pretty hard, but I believe I can get around that by maintaining my out-of-state residency. Although I plan to own a house and land in Maryland for the few years while I am here, I will not be a resident. I still pay state taxes to a different state and have a driver's license in a different state and my car is registered in a different state.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    According to SB281 you are required to register your firearms within 90 days of entering the state if you intend to become a resident. That sucks pretty hard, but I believe I can get around that by maintaining my out-of-state residency. Although I plan to own a house and land in Maryland for the few years while I am here, I will not be a resident. I still pay state taxes to a different state and have a driver's license in a different state and my car is registered in a different state.

Per the MD Comptroller:
    What is my Residency Status?

Resident -Your permanent home is or was in Maryland (the law refers to this as your domicile). OR your permanent home is outside of Maryland, but you maintained a place of abode (that is, a place to live) in Maryland for more than six months of the tax year. If this applies to you and you were physically present in the state for 183 days or more, you must file a full-year resident return.
    Nonresident - Your permanent home (domicile) is in a state other than Maryland, unless you are a statutory resident.
    Statutory resident - You maintain and occupy a place of abode (that is a place to live) for more than 6 months of the tax year in Maryland.
    Part-Year Residents - If you either established or abandoned Maryland residency during the calendar year, you are considered a part-year resident.

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Indi...iling_Information/Determine_Residency_Status/

SB281 doesn't distinguish between any of the flavors of residency. It just says MD resident. So if you plan on bringing any regulated or banned firearms into MD, you might best register them. And oh by the way, MD is going to reach into your pocket for taxes either way.

mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    Well that sucks. So if I don't want to register my AR, M1A, Glock 19, and 1911 then I cannot bring them into the state since I am forced to live here for 3 years?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    But does the law on registration apply to people who move into the state and become residents after the October 2013 timeframe or does it also apply to people who moved into the state 10-15 years ago? Naturally, all guns bought and transferred in Maryland are already registered. This law is strictly aimed at finding out where the guns are. If you lose them, you have to report it within 30 days. So the idea is to find out where all the unregisered guns are.

Registration does not aid in crime prevention, nor does it aid law enforcement; it's expensive and is only good for first taxing guns and then confiscation. That's the ONLY thing registration is aimed at. It's happened in Europe, Canada, Mexico, Australia and many other places. People say, "We register cars, why not guns?" Well, we register cars so we can tax them and keep track of them. But so far not one of the above countries have tried to ban cars.

So whether people obey the registration requirement coming into the state is up to them and their conscience. I just wonder why the law didn't require that all unregistered guns be registered?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Doing so, unless you are active duty military on orders, is illegal.

You are a resident of the state where you reside over half the year.

Good luck, but have a legal defense fund stocked. They will at least hit you with back taxes including penalties and interest. And probably car title and registration fees.

And you will be in violation of the registration law.

And to top it off, you just told everyone in an open forum about your plan to violate the law.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They wanted to require all regulated/banned firearms to be registered. That was taken out of the final bill.

Again, DO NOT TRY TO APPLY LOGIC. There is NONE.

mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    Doing so, unless you are active duty military on orders, is illegal.

You are a resident of the state where you reside over half the year.

Good luck, but have a legal defense fund stocked. They will at least hit you with back taxes including penalties and interest. And probably car title and registration fees.

And you will be in violation of the registration law.

And to top it off, you just told everyone in an open forum about your plan to violate the law.

I am active duty on orders. I have no plans to do anything illegal. I am in fact trying to determine how to comply with the law prior to determining what I can do with the firearms I own.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Active duty one orders, or full time student are the magical things to be. :)

However, you still cannot bring any banned firearms purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013. Current banned firearms purchased before Oct 1, 2013 and non-banned long guns and handguns may all be brought with you.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Uh-huh. And if one doesn't obey this this request...what is the penalty?

Odd you should ask that.

Someone help me out here, but I believe I read here on MDS that there is no penalty for not registering.

You also asked about any new laws on "teflon coated bullets" or whatever. There is a new law making it illegal to use such bullets to commit a crime.

By the way, I've been noticing some of your recent posts. I've come to think of you as Rip van Winkle. Welcome back to Absurdistan, Rip!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is no penalty described in the law. But I am sure they will charge you somehow.

And even if you win (no penalty), they will have confiscated your firearms (and good luck getting them back) and had to pay the legal fees. Your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom