• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I apologize if this question has been beaten to death, but is a piston AR15 with a M4 profile barrel in 5.56/.223 legal?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Depends. The MR556 is listed as banned (which it should not be) but the 516 is not specifically enumerated if I recall, nor is the SR556... Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Really wanted an MR556 so it's a bummer

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    My opinion, yes, they're legal. In order to be copies, MSP has said they need to have completely interchangeable parts. Since you can't change all of the parts, not a copy. But I am not a MD Regulated FFL, a lawyer, nor MSP (The order MSP wants you to ask such questions in...). But I know some FFLs are still selling piston rifles.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    My opinion, yes, they're legal. In order to be copies, MSP has said they need to have completely interchangeable parts. Since you can't change all of the parts, not a copy. But I am not a MD Regulated FFL, a lawyer, nor MSP (The order MSP wants you to ask such questions in...). But I know some FFLs are still selling piston rifles.

This was my understanding until I saw the MR556 as banned.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I'd be great if this was resolved favorably.

Have my sights set on a PWS MK114. Looks like it should be available (eventually) as an SBR but I'd really rather buy it Title I.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah I'm really interested in this too, I only have 1 pre oct 1 lower and it has a piston upper on it in M4 so I'd love to be able to get another lower now that they are sold again and put my piston on there then get another upper for the grandfathered lower I have.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Is that a 16+" piston upper you have? If so, unfortunately you couldn't swap it onto a lower bought post-10/1 (that'd be making a banned ALG).

If you planned on SBRing that new lower, making it a pistol or an HBAR you'd be all set though. :D

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Is that a 16+" piston upper you have? If so, unfortunately you couldn't swap it onto a lower bought post-10/1 (that'd be making a banned ALG).

If you planned on SBRing that new lower, making it a pistol or an HBAR you'd be all set though. :D

Yes it's 16+ but that I thought was the point of this thread. Is a piston m4 not banned because of the inter changeable parts line designation where it does not share interchangeable parts with other banned rifles.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Then I misunderstood. Thought you were intent on doing it now, my apologies.

I lean towards saying it should be legal but realistically it’s a grey area.

Unless there's clarification before PWS hits the roster, I'll be SBRing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom