• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    So I have been using a McFadden Ultimate Cliploader for my Ruger Mark II mags and have found that the amazing secret to flawless loading is...it likes to be wet! Toss in the rounds, add one little spritz of Ballistol, shake it, and the rounds slide into the mag like magic. As it dries out, the rounds begin to stick and you have to repeatedly shake it to load the mags.

Unfortunately, I thought that would translate to my Butler Creek loader I use for their Steel Lips mags for my 10/22. Granted, that loader uses a mechanical ratchet rather than just a gravity-feed, but after experimenting, I found out that hard way that the secret for that loader is it likes to be DRY!

As in...BONE DRY!

That same little tiny spritz of lube caused FTF after FTF until the loader and rounds finally ran dry, after which it performed like a champ again. Live and learn.

That said, I'm a big fan of both products. Of course, you can't buy Steel Lips mags in MD anymore, but that's what VA is for...

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The waxy lube that manufacturers apply to 22 rimfire ammo is necessary because it uses a case-sized bullet. That lube may help feeding in a firearm, but it's like pool cue chalk in the McFadden loader.

I got the McFadden loader when it first came out, and they recommended a short blast of RemOil (or similar) in the box before loading magazines. It does make it work a lot better.

The caution here is make sure to shoot all the ammo you blast with lube the same day. Over time, the lube can seep into the cases and foul the powder, making the cartridge inert.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I have no issues running it dry and I've worn out an MKIII ejector and a cliploader. Just have to jiggle it a few times.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    RugerFan
    :thumbsup:I have used the McFadden loader for the past year or so and really love it.
    Every session at the range starts with 100-200 rounds through my Mark III 22/45 or my Mark II Slab Side.
    I have been having some difficulty with the rounds occasionally loading vertically, but have learned to jiggle and tap the loader and reduce that possibility.
    I haven't seen the recommendation for the RemOil/Ballistol, that might be just what I need.
    Thanks
    DocAitch

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    The caution here is make sure to shoot all the ammo you blast with lube the same day. Over time, the lube can seep into the cases and foul the powder, making the cartridge inert.

I'll admit that I sometimes leave a few rounds in the loader at the end of a session and have never had a problem next time out. Really, the amount of lube I'm talking about is the tiniest spritz on a whole 50 rounds, so I highly doubt they ever get enough for this to happen, but, hey, YMMV.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    are you talking about the 'hot lips' mags?

I love those.

Anyways, I've found that ballistol is the least likely to make your cartridges go inert.

WD-40 will almost 100% destroy your ammo if left on the cartridge long enough,
    CLP breakfree has been known to give you a dud on occaision
    Remoil is a PITA, and causes more than CLP, but not as much as WD-40

For some reason though, Ballistol seems to not screw up the ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom