WASHING YOUR HANDS IN FREEZING TEMPS IN THE FIELD...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Wouldn't it just be simpler to put a gallon of water in the truck or on the dash when you're hunting. Call me a wuss, but I won't turn down warm water on a cold day.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A friend of mine uses a old gain laundry bottle that has the flow control bubble on it for the water. Then a bar of soap with a hole drilled in it and tied to the bottle. He put some RV antifreeze in it and says "just don't drink it and you will be ok". I think I will stick with my baby wipes.

Antifreeze is expensive to be using for washing hands...

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    -20 windshield washer fluid would be a lot cheaper, and has mild detergents in it, which ought to clean up blood & dirt more efficiently.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Use rubber gloves and carry Wet Ones wipes in the little packets. Very little weight to carry and does the job.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Pro Tip: Don't use milk jugs

They'll end up leaking sooner or later and then you've salt water all over the place in your truck. Get the gallon water bottles (the dollar store has them all the time, Crystal Springs or something like that) or use a few 2L soda bottles.and then do what the OP said. And I can't think of any reason to boil the water except to speed the dissolving of the salt but it's not like it's going to take forever on its own.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Pro Tip: Don't use milk jugs

They'll end up leaking sooner or later and then you've salt water all over the place in your truck. Get the gallon water bottles (the dollar store has them all the time, Crystal Springs or something like that) or use a few 2L soda bottles.and then do what the OP said. And I can't think of any reason to boil the water except to speed the dissolving of the salt but it's not like it's going to take forever on its own.

I use some old anti-freeze jugs. They are a thicker plastic and last for years. Boiling the water is not required but, if you plan to use it soon then the preparation is fine. I had a jug that I put salt in and ended up with a salt block in the bottom of the jug. Since then I just gave it a dissolving boil. Besides I don't want to walk around with washer fluid or antifreeze on my hands like others have suggested. I see no reason to use anti-freeze or other chemicals and then have to wash that off with water anyway. That sort of makes for an unnecessary extra process.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Disposable AI gloves are CHEAP per hundred and are shoulder length, and fold to nothing.

Plus, once done, I hold heart in left hand, and roll that sleeve down and tie off, then switch to right and repeat All clean on outside.
    Heart is doubled bagged and in my pack, and you're not leaving gloves laying out in woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom